TW200 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1987 TW 200. Ran good one day. Went to ride it the next no start. No spark. I have an 87 parts bike that was running till the guy I bought it from broke the kicker shaft.
Swapped coils. Still not spark. Swapped side covers complete stator and all. Still no spark. Checked kickstand switch and kill switch. (wont turn over with button in stop position)
Am I to condemn this bike to a bad CDI (no spare CDI on the parts bike) I just purchased one on Amazon for $300. I hope I didn't waste it. Anything I can check in the meantime tonight before it
comes? Would love to ride with the Mrs. this weekend.

Thank you!

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Other than fuses and wiring (I assume you inspected that already) it sounds like you covered everything.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Check for a good ground on the coil and up behind the headlight there is a rats nest of connectors. On the pre 2001 TWs there are two hard rubber boots containing these connectors and they can get loose or corroded. This is where all the electrical connections come together going to the Kill switches, head light and the neutral indicator. A bad connection there means no juice anywhere.

GaryL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts