TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

New owner of a 1999/2000 TW200 as of about a couple hours ago. I've always thought these bikes looked really cool with there large tires and low sitting seats so when one popped up on craigslist for a great deal I couldn't pass it up. The guy I bought it from said that the CDI was bad but that it ran great before it went out.

I did a few searches on the forum for threads regarding CDI replacement but nothing obvious turned up. So I figured I'd start a new thread and see if anyone could help. Some info about the bike and the few things I've discovered while it was still light out.

1. Waiting for the title in the mail but I think its a 1999 or 2000 model.
2. It's not producing spark but I don't know what switches prevent this besides the kill switch ie kick stand, clutch, etc...
3. The battery is dead or very low....I put it on trickle charge

If it turns out it is the CDI does anyone have any recommendations on where to find a replacement? I did a quick search online and saw this 'Kimpex OEM-Style Replacement CDI Box - 01-407-02' but not sure if that would work or not. I also saw a youtube video of a guy who installed a GY6 racing CDI...which I thought was a scooter CDI.

Anyway I'm excited to join the club and appreciate any advice you all might have.

Shaun

·
Super Moderator
5,272 Posts
First up – welcome to the board …….

These bikes are fairly straightforward to work on, and even if you run into trouble, there will always be some-one to help out.

First thing you need to do is download a copy of the original Yamaha manual from this thread:
http://tw200forum.com/forum/technical-write-ups/70-service-repair-manuals.html

Look at the “main manual” – page 200 onwards -“ignition system”.

You need to get your head around that while you wait for a new battery to arrive – no point in trying to chase an electrical fault with no electricity on the bike.

Your assumption of the various cut outs is more or less accurate, and they can be eliminated one by one by following the diagnostics in the manual. (I’d start with getting the dust out the kill switch, the thing is on a hair trigger on my ’98). Check the connections to a component before replacing it, no point in wasting money.

The CDI isn’t a known problem on your model, but that doesn’t mean it’s not shot.

If the bike has been sitting for over six months, your likely to be looking at the carb at some point – they all do it – and it gives you something else to do while waiting for something else to arrive in the mail. No need to go mad at this stage, just clean it up and flush it out. You need to get this baby running first.

Welcome to the cruise ……………

·
Registered
614 Posts
After rebuilding the carb and taking it apart at least 5 more times and replacing the ign coil and taking apart all the electrical connections and greasing them up with dielectric grease I finally bit the bullet and bought a new CDI $395.00 but it runs now.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Well that's good you got it -bad it was the expensive part. Know you know your bike well! Um you know pics or it didn't happen.
I thought it was OP that got bike running so please ignore !

·
Registered
20,401 Posts
Your correct model year should be identified on a sticker on the frame's down tube below the steering head. CDI can be checked for shorts or open circuit using a multi-meter, preferably an older style calibrateable needle and dial type. The newer auto-ranging digital multimeters often do not have the resolution called for in the service manual. A non-oem CDI can be had for really cheap on e-bay but the threads I have read indicated a bit of re-wiring might be needed. The presumptive diagnosis of a bad CDI by the previous owner may be a premature assumption so follow Purple's advice and check things first before ordering expensive parts or chopping into the stock wiring to fit a scooter CDI.
Oh, and welcome to the forum. You will probably love you bike once it is working.

·
Super Moderator
5,272 Posts
ssgtrillium – yours was an ’87 – notorious for the CDI failing. The fact that you changed it over sorted out a problem that if you didn’t have today, you would only have encountered later on down the line.

Same deal on the carb – same deal on the coil – same deal on the wiring - it’s a 28 year old bike. It does you great credit that you care enough to do that to (any) motorcycle.

The OP’s problem could go in any direction ……….

·
Registered
614 Posts
No mine is a 91.But yeah go through all the less expensive stuff first.I thought I had it with the coil because my CDI would fail intermittently so I would replace a part and it would run fine then fail again.
Check your stator cover and make sure someone else hasn't had it off and then pinched the wires inside when reinstalling.This site was a great help to me and kept me sane through all the trial and errors.
Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for all the tips. I'll follow your recommendations and report back. I hope I get lucky and it's not the CDI!

The good news is that I charged the battery and it it seems to be working fine. All lights come on and it cranks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I finally got around to working on the TW. Turns out it was pretty easy to find the problem once I took off the plastics. Turns out it really did need a new CDI because it didn't have one installed. The guy must have thrown it away once his shop told him it was bad. Anyway I ordered one used off ebay for $130 and it now runs!

Now that I know it runs the next step is to tear it down to the frame and clean it up. I'm sure this site will be great for getting ideas. I've been seeing a lot of potential designs on Pintrest. Thanks again for the manuals and recommendations.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts