TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all 87 TW200. R&R stator, p/u, ign coil, plug. Verified all wiring, ground and switches n/o-n/c. Reluctantly leaning toward CDI, but don't like the pricing. ? anyone know of any way of determining its fault. Already froze unit to -40*F and still no spark except for the tools across garage floor. Lol. Any insight or info on aftermarket cdi is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
152 Posts
did you buy a used stator or new? I only ask because they are not all created equal if memory serves. If you bought used maybe it doesn't match the older generation bike even if the continuity test checks good. Other than that I think your looking at a new cdi if your troubleshooting is as thorough as you say. Bottom line is these bikes all look alike but when you get as deep into the electronics as you are big differences start popping up, plus 87-present is plenty of years for previous owners to alter the stock wiring for one reason or another.If it were me I would cross check part numbers for the main harness, stator, and cdi. Then triple check the entire wiring system in a misserably methodical manner using the factory wiring schematic before pursuing the cdi. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
21,502 Posts
I hear those '87s were notorious for failing CDIs, I feel your pain. Here is an old LIZRDBRTH sticky that may help diagnose:Using a timing light to check a CDI. I tried this with mixed results and ended up borrowing a friends working CDI to put in my bike.
Boats.net has slightly better oem CDI's prices for maybe $136 for new style and I think ~$240 for your older style.
For a bargain use this forum's search engine for "CDI" to find recent post and video on a cheap under $20 e-bay CDI and how to wire it up. Or just youtube search "TW200 CDI Replacement" or something similar I think.

Enough cheap advice from me Dam55, is now time for me to do as you have done and check my stator, pick-up and coil to find and cure my probable electrical gremlin.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts