TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after a +2000 mile trip residing on the rail on the front hitch mount does not start. Turns but does not fire. Gas? Yes - hear it swooshing around. Full choke: No go. Half choke: No go. No chocke: No go. Giving gas: No go. Plug out: Looks good. Starter fluid into cylinder, plug back back in and fires - die again. Sounds like no gas to the carb. Switching selector to off, to gas, to reserve. Low and behold: Fire in the cylinder at the reserve setting! Once running back to normal gas - setting and she purrs like a good kitten - success. :wave: Can't make sense of it but whatever works. Just wanted to share: If she ain't starting switch to reserve even if there is still gas in the tank?!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
637 Posts
hrm... could something have clogged in the petcock and when you switched to reserve, it flushed it?

switching back, the clog would have been gone.

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
One of my "rules" is when ever anything goes wrong with the engine switch to reserve. It is simple, easy, free, and quick to do and I bet works half the time.

I came upon a dirt bike rider kicking and kicking and no start. I asked "Did you switch to reserve?" "Ah, no." I suggested he try it, he did, and it fired up.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One thing I learned from this experience: Obviously I was lucky with the "reserve" setting. Relying on the "swooshing of fuel in the tahk" is not a test to check for enough jiuce. I just filled up - was low. Even though my trip meter, set to Zero last time I filled up, only showed 68 miles. elime seems to have had a like happening. If she don't start switch to reserves before getting into more elaborate diagnosis. Did you check your GAS (in the tank, I mean ...)?

·
Registered
20,505 Posts
We don’t always confess to forgetting to switch to reserve but rest assured you are not the first to be in this situation.
At least you weren’t ten miles down the trail when the fuel ran dry.

·
Registered
637 Posts
What really hurts is when the tank is on reserve and you fill it up and forget to switch it back. Surprise, surprise the next time you run out of gas.
Enter ye olde MSR fuel bottle and/or rotopax :)

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I can't switch to reserve. There is no reserve on my Suzuki Van Van. Come to think of it, there is no petcock under the tank either.
This vehicle is stock and has not been modified. It is less than a week old.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Sometimes a big deal running out of gas on an efi bike as the fuel lines feed air into a system that shouldn't have any. Even and extra bottle of fuel may not start your bike without priming the system. And of course no reserve. So keep your eye on your miles. If it comes with a fuel light (this for any bike) never trust it.

Here's a pix of a Blue VanVan on the Suzuki site. Very pretty:
Suzuki Cycles - Product Lines - Cycles - Products - RV200 - 2017 - RV200

Reactions: jtomelliott49
1 - 10 of 10 Posts