TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Owee. What bugs me the most are the head on hits on trails. Dang brutal.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Owee. What bugs me the most are the head on hits on trails. Dang brutal.
i had the same thought...
jumping and such crashes are to be expected (not to minimize the pain factor) but the head ons were a result of lack of situational awareness and breaking the basic rule of not going faster than the conditions allow. dumb and dangerous.

i'm guessing many of those did not walk away from their crash.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Head on is my worst nightmare (hitting a deer #2). Fortunately 9 times out of 10, we don't see anyone on the trails we ride. But when we do, they are often going way too fast. The newest threat is over wide SXS taking the intire trail, also usually way to fast. Thier roll cage and absolute zero lack of skill to drive makes them a complete menace. I have stopped several people, explained they are not legal on the trail they are on, they shrug and drive away. Cool video, will give me nightmares at some point I am sure!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Those headon's are no joke. Happened to the lead rider in a group of three I was riding with one time. When I came around a corner both riders were down and unconscious. My buddy had his face caved in from the other guy's helmet along with his knee being laid wide open from connecting with the other bike's fork tube top. I went for help and the first house I came to was a volunteer firefighter's house so we were able to get help there right away. My buddy had chosen to wear his open face helmet instead of his full coverage that day and also didn't wear his knee/shin guards. Bad decisions.

·
Registered
325 Posts
One reason I like highway legal only trails is there is usually far less traffic on them and less of the "racer" types, coming the opposite way.

But I've had my share of accidents and near misses.
Last one was a big 4 seater sxs coming the other way, doing fishtails, showing off for the blonde he was driving.
He was too busy looking at her to watch where he was going. I rode up and off the trail when I heard and then saw him coming.
When he finally looked up he was sideways about 50-75 feet from me, and then panicked and locked the brakes.
Of course he instantly started to barrel roll right towards me. And I was at least 10 feet up and off the trail.
He rolled right up to me. Both of them were dazed. And probably had been drinking. ( cup holders in those scare me ).

The 25-30 year old young woman was screaming and yelling that she was done with this s--t and wanted to walk back to the trucks, etc.
My left foot actually stopped it from sliding more towards me.

His buddy's drove up and asked what had happened. They were all morons.
I asked them if they knew they were on a street legal trail. One of them started to give me crap. I got right up to him and asked him if he needed an explanation for street legal. He was a short, fat, stupid guy and one of the other guys got between us and said he was sorry but that they were low and fuel and were taking the short way back to their trucks and trailers.

During this a couple guys in a Jeep pulled up and they were not too happy with the four sxs'ers either, I took it that they had seen or passed them earlier, and started to lecture them on trail etiquette and where they could ride legally, etc.
They were both big guys and one was a San Bernardino sheriff and he made it clear right from the start. They all toned it down immediately.

The Sheriff made sure no one was hurt and then had the sxs'ers wait. The Sheriff and the Jeep driver rolled the upside down sxs over by themselves.
I don't know what happened as I told them I was ok, and what happened, and then left.

I haven't been on, that part of, the street legal trail since.

·
Registered
20,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I stopped watching after the head-on motorcycle and ATV crashes, then decided to share the scare by posting the video here. Good reminder to use caution while looking out for the other guy. Reminds me why I try to avoid any OHV or popular areas. Moab is one exception, and I am not likely the only one who has almost been mowed over by fast side-by-sides on blind sandy corners there. They will rent those things to anyone without any requirements for experience.
Know we do not jump very high on our TWs but that don't mean we won't ever encounter an air-borne MX-er on a ballistic path headed our way.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Sadly, most of these are preventable. Too fast for conditions, wrong side of trail / road, poor decisions, not on a race track....etc... (or, maybe I'm just older / wiser now)

If you are not a racing pro / paid stunt driver, don't act like it. (I learned this many years ago after a bad incident while testing the "new" Polaris Predator in 2003.)

I love my put put TW, keeps me out of trouble.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Those head on's are indeed the worst. On logging roads you have to assume a truck is coming around every blind corner and stick to the right as well as look for possible escape routes.

I had the same thing happen to me as the rider at 8:43 where his finger goes to the side. Doesn't really hurt, just looks freaky. Easy fix as it's just the tendon going out of alignment and will easily snap back in place.

·
Registered
779 Posts
The crazy drunks, slobs and lot lizards always seem ready to assualt people when they screw up too. I am armed 100% of the time on my motorcycle/in the woods based on my exeriences (have never and probably never will need it I hope).

·
Registered
71 Posts
All I can say is ouch and I am glad I am too old and wise to try this type of s..t!

·
Registered
928 Posts
Wow. Yet another reason I am convinced that my back-road tour company would be best sticking to the TW200. Back roads means less traffic and sticking to legal limits, and low powered bikes means less temptation to be an idiot.

·
Registered
20,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I do believe LuvNot's TW based tour company business plan has merit. Needs a bit of cash influx to flesh out the infrastructure as well as a lot of targeted marketing. Needs popular destinations and suitable routes of course in areas with long riding seasons. Anyone know who can get her on Oprah?

·
Registered
779 Posts
East TN or West VA seem like good options for a MC tour company. Need a balance of good riding, favorable business environment and accesability/population density. TW 200s and CR250l's Shinko 241s so you have a real off road experience. West Cost might have some great options too (I personally think Central and Eastern Orgeon has the best riding in the country), but the areas near population centers are probably not as business friendly and some of the best areas East are not eassilly accesible or near population centers.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
The crash at 4:20 I have done on an IT175, but I ended up on my back with the bike on top. Glade I was in full gear and ended up with a bruised leg and a broken chest-back protector.
The crash at 9:20 I have done on the TW, but instead of dirt it was all rock - no damage to TW or me.:D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ouch! I've watched othersome with the VR goggles I got with my phone for free during the fathers day promotion. With the go pros, you better be sitting down while watching. Even then you tend to want to come out of your seat!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts