TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I just bought a new to me 2009 TW today and had my first ride. What a hoot! My other bike is a Vstrom 1000 so it's a bit of an adjustment. I plan to ride the TW mostly on my farm and trails on our property and I am also hoping to get the wife riding and licensed on it. For those who want to know, it has 3800 miles and I got it for $2800.

The bike didn't come with a manual and I have a couple of quick questions:
- The clutch only engages when the lever is almost fully extended. I fiddled with the adjustment at the clutch lever but it didn't seem to change anything. Is this normal and should I be adjusting it down where it goes into the gear box?
- I use Rotella T6 5-40 wt. fully synthetic oil in my vstrom. Is it okay to use this oil in the Tdub? I live in Red Bluff CA, where it gets hot as hell and not terribly cold.
- Any suggestions on where to get a manual?

Looks like a terrific forum here and I look forward to being a part of it!

Nutfarmer

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
The clutch is normal and is a point of great discussion. Juan would have thought that Yamaha would have done something about it by now, but alas, no. You can buy after market springs and adjust the clutch under the side cover to make it feel more"normal".

Oil. I know nothing of oil. Which oil is best? Is that your question? I don't think it's ever been brought up here....

Manuals are posted here;

http://tw200forum.com/forum/technical-write-ups/70-service-repair-manuals.html

·
Registered
1,931 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the service manual! And good to know the clutch is normal for the TW.
Regarding the oil, I just want to know if the Rotella T6 is ok for the bike (not necesssary the best). From other forums, I know oil is a touchy subject!

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
- I use Rotella T6 5-40 wt. fully synthetic oil in my vstrom. Is it okay to use this oil in the Tdub? I live in Red Bluff CA, where it gets hot as hell and not terribly cold. ....
As long as that Rotella is certified for use in wet clutch machines you should be fine. 10W40 might be a little better. When it's super hot you might want to go to 20W50, but only if you do a lot of hill climbing when it's 110 out. 5W40 is fine for moderate use.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the warm welcome. NorCal Nutjobs - sounds just right for me. Is that the same as the NorCal T-Dubbers? Couldn't find the Nutjob group to join. Still finding my way around though.
Will check out the springy thingy. Cheers

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Hi Nutfarmer. The NorCal Nut Jobs are a radical faction of the NorCal Tubbers! Our rides are awesome, and the folks (Nut Jobs) are the best kind of people you'll want to ride with! Keep your eye on the trails & off road adventure thread for an impending ride, & consider joining us for the ride! m.

·
Super Moderator
17,964 Posts
Cause its been seen again and again and again on new bikes. :D

How do you like your Vee?

·
Super Moderator
17,964 Posts
You're welcome. :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cause its been seen again and again and again on new bikes. :D

How do you like your Vee?
I am really enjoying the V2. I've had it about a year and put about 7,000 miles on it, almost all day rides on twisty mountain roads. I had a 1st Generation vstrom 650 and liked it, but the V2 has much better brakes and suspension. Oh ya, and then there is the power. I like that the bike has lots of torque in a broad range of revs.
I went on my first street ride into town on the Tdub last night and had a grin from ear to ear. I hit sixty briefly and felt like the wind was going to tear me off the thing. Guess I;m used to a little more wind protection.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts