TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was riding the Dub yesterday and while climbing a hill my chain broke about three links away from the master. So now my question is do I fix it myself (I have only basic tools and no previous motorcycle repairs skills) or do I take it to the local shop and have them fix it (knowing it will cost more)?

If I do it myself i know i will learn how to fix/maintain in the future, but the initial out of pocket expense to buy all the stuff needed (chain, chain breaker, rear wheel stand or other lift) would be close to the cost of taking it to the shop.

If i fix it myself how do I know that I am buying the right chain (JC Whitney had them from $18 - $150)? How do I know if it is too tight or too loose?

#TheStruggleIsReal

thanks

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Do it your self. Get a good chain break tool. One can be had for under 20 bucks. You can use a five gallon bucket for a stand. Get a DID 428VX chain. If very thing is stock (sprockets) you'll need 122 links. Check your master link before putting it on the bike. You can use the chain break tool to adjust the pins on that so you don't crush the O rings. It's not nuclear psychiatry.

·
Registered
656 Posts
So I was riding the Dub yesterday and while climbing a hill my chain broke about three links away from the master. So now my question is do I fix it myself (I have only basic tools and no previous motorcycle repairs skills) or do I take it to the local shop and have them fix it (knowing it will cost more)?

If I do it myself i know i will learn how to fix/maintain in the future, but the initial out of pocket expense to buy all the stuff needed (chain, chain breaker, rear wheel stand or other lift) would be close to the cost of taking it to the shop.

If i fix it myself how do I know that I am buying the right chain (JC Whitney had them from $18 - $150)? How do I know if it is too tight or too loose?

#TheStruggleIsReal

thanks
Let the shop replace the chain as i assume it is off the bike now. If you do it you will have to pull the front cover and I don't think you are quite ready for that yet. It requires a gasket and you will be doing an oil change. Let them handle that the first time unless you pick up a manual and wish to go at it and then no problems. I would suggest that you purchase the chain yourself and that it be a DID 428VX-X ring 122 link chain. However, first check the sprokets and see if they need replacing and if so do you want to stay with the stock 14/50's or go up or down in size. If you are thinking of changing the gearing ratios, please comment.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I was kind of leaning towards the shop myself, I saw a thread with a detailed explination of gear swap and chain replacement and ya, there was a lot of removing going on.
I wouldn't mind changing the ratio, but am in no hurry to do so, that can wait until I have had more practice with general maintenance. Would like to be able to get a more comfortable (not feeling like the engine will explode) top end. Not looking to race down the freeway, but would like to be able to ride the highway and not feel like a road hazard.

I assume that I need to be looking for broken/worn teeth on the sprockets as an indicator for a change?

·
Super Moderator
4,706 Posts
Most chains come with a split link

chkmc-unilink.jpg

The new chain (and you’ll need one if the original is coming apart) will also come with a split link — the theory being “how are you supposed to get it on there if it doesn’t have a split link”

Relax — screwdriver and a pair of pliers ……………

Always worth checking the sprockets for wear - especially the front as it goes round a lot faster than the rear - broken teeth and you've left it too long (a bit like your chain) ..................

·
Registered
19,198 Posts
A dealership might likely do a complete job of new chain, sprockets, cover gasket, seals, etc and while very nice and correct can get expensive quickly if you do not limit the scope of work beforehand. If you are on a budget and/or your sprockets and chain have more life left to them you could maybe ask a non-affiliated shop to do minimum by replacing broken link with second master link and then fish repaired chain over front sprocket w/o removing cover. Your call. With chain off and a flashlight you should be able to evaluate your front sprocket's health. "Hooking" , not broken teeth, would be the indicator of wear.

·
Super Moderator
17,629 Posts
Did you call Westside Motorsport's? How much did they want? Other bike shops might be cheaper.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Most chains come with a split link

View attachment 18618

The new chain (and you’ll need one if the original is coming apart) will also come with a split link — the theory being “how are you supposed to get it on there if it doesn’t have a split link”

Relax — screwdriver and a pair of pliers ……………

Always worth checking the sprockets for wear - especially the front as it goes round a lot faster than the rear - broken teeth and you've left it too long (a bit like your chain) ..................
The DID428VX-X ring chains require an extra purchase of the link. I would suggest that one always orders 2. Solves a lot of potential issues later.

·
Registered
19,198 Posts
"Split Link" Purple? We colonials call that a "Master Link"..Attachment 18618
When are you UK folks gonna learn to speak english properly? ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you call Westside Motorsport's? How much did they want? Other bike shops might be cheaper.
They are closed on Sundays Tommy.

If i can fix the link with a new master link that might be an easier option, I will look at it more in depth tonight after work to determine if anything else needs done. It probably wont considering the bike only has 900 miles on it. Main difficulty would be threading it over the front sprocket without removing the cover.

·
Super Moderator
4,706 Posts
Main difficulty would be threading it over the front sprocket without removing the cover.
Again - easy - just connect the old chain to the new and feed it through ............

·
Registered
656 Posts
They are closed on Sundays Tommy.

If i can fix the link with a new master link that might be an easier option, I will look at it more in depth tonight after work to determine if anything else needs done. It probably wont considering the bike only has 900 miles on it. Main difficulty would be threading it over the front sprocket without removing the cover.[/QUOTE

I have a question for you? How did you manage to break a chain so quickly? Did you catch something in it? If you managed to break the chain you very well may have damaged a rear sproket. What tension do you run on the bike chain?

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Main difficulty would be threading it over the front sprocket without removing the cover.
The side cover does not need to be removed in order to replace the chain. You can use a stiff piece of wire, like a straightened metal coat hanger, to help feed the chain around the front sprocket. It helps if the bike is in neutral and may take a few tries before you get it. Once you the chain threaded over the front sprocket, click the bike into gear or the chain will likely come right off again due to its own weight.

·
Registered
656 Posts
The old chain is already off, so it would be the same process either way.
No. Your chain is off. If you were simply changing chains you would hook the new to the old and just revolve through. You have nothing to pull the new one through with. However, TW-Brians solution should work, if you are patient enough. The only problem is if the front spoket is not up to par, which Fred mentioned how you could check without pulling the front case.

·
Registered
19,198 Posts
In leu of a chain breaker a grinder may be used to inelegantly remove link's rivet head then a drift or punch can drive out pin.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Both my DID 482 VX chains came with a master link. It is a good idea to have a spare or two though.

As mentioned above you don't need to remove the side cover. It may help to have a second set of hands though. I would wonder why the chain broke and what the condition of the sprockets are.

·
Super Moderator
17,629 Posts
Where did you buy it? It should be under warranty still. Don't know if they would cover that though. The dealer you got it from might give you a little break on it since it's so new and you bought it from them. ? Keep us posted. I would call Ed's Motorcycle 6605 E Sprague Ave, Spokane Valley, wa (509) 703-4113 OR Allen's Cycle 6319 N Pittsburg St (509) 484-4844 These are the cheapest places in town besides a dealer.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts