TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get out at least once this summer with some fellow TW'ers. Post up ride plans here if you want company.

Maybe we can plan a July gathering of some kind, although I'm not a good "planner" as my wife tells me all the time.

My only offering at this point (besides carb shims if you need) is planning anything in the Grouse Ridge, Four Dice, Downieville, or Bowman Lake area.

Hope you're all "Enjoying the ride".

·
Registered
21,491 Posts
I would like to now if 2017 flooding which took out the Bowman Lake road from HWY20 has been finally repaired as it permits a nice loop taking in Burlington Ridge, Washington, Graniteville and Bowman Lake as well as Grouse Ridge. Just need to call Forrest Service again to check on status.
Sierra Buttes has nice riding from intermediate to advanced. Have hosted a couple 3-day group rides with a few of you folks. All these areas need a bit more melt-out however Burlington Ridge ORV area should be open. Rides there often entail an easy detour down to the warmer Yuba upstream from Washington. Fordyce was all snowed in down to the highway this Monday.
All Good!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Hey Fred, Burlington Ridge, AKA Chalk Bluff? As I recall, it's VERY dusty come summer time.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Rock Creek OHV out of Georgetown is open depending on rain holds. They have one section that stays closed until May 1st I think for deer winter range area around the town of Mosquito. It is rarely ridden because of the limited season to ride there. Then there's China Hill out of Foresthill. Trail 5 is the man-eater trail. I've ridden it both forward and backward. It will either put hair on your balls or take it off. Depends on if you dive off one of the many cliff drop-offs... and the best far as I know is Western States Trail. The Tevis Cup horse race is put on each spring. Plan to ride AFTER their horsey race when they have done all the work removing the downed trees. Staging at Robinson Flat. Go West and it's a double black diamond ride down to the river then up 'The Thumb' to Auburn. Go East and end up on the back side of Squaw Valley Ski Resort.
Then there's the Gold Note Trail System and 5 corners out of Grizzly Flat area.

EDIT
I've not done any of these trails on my TW200, but I have on many other dirt bikes; Kawasaki KX250, Yamaha WR250, KTM 300, etc.... We rode fast so I imagine they are all ridable, albeit slower on the TW's. I have paper maps of all the trails stored away.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, Bowman Lake rd from HWY20 to Bowman is open/was open last summer. Lot's of mountain bikes on Burlington ridge these days, steer clear.

·
Registered
21,491 Posts
I only ride BurlingtonRidge in the off season,I like when there is a little snow and no one else, never in summer as I favor the higher sierras then. Usually I avoid any designated ORV areas as much as I avoid campgrounds. I just mentioned it since it is easy and is open now.

ibdavid, just how skilled and/or adventurous are you on your TW? The steep terrain of much of the lower American River canyons can make their single tracks fairly challenging. Upper reaches of Western States Trail are more mellow in my limited experience. Don't want to propose anything too demanding until we know each other's comfort level. Now Jerry & I have ridden together and I know he can leave me in the dust. Personally I bailed on the China Wall trail system after exploring briefly on the TW, just seemed unnecessarily risky for a solo ride. A small group does add confidence though.

Keep tossing out ideas though.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Personally I bailed on the China Wall trail system after exploring briefly on the TW, just seemed unnecessarily risky for a solo ride.
China Wall and West end of WST are about the most challenging trails I'll ever attempt and likely wouldn't on a full sized MX/2-stroke bike now that I'm 'of a certain age'. The TW200 can be dog paddled about anywhere, with the limiting factor beting time; allow twice as much time as you think you need and you'll only be a little late getting back to your end point. Ha!

The issue with riding the El Dorado Nat'l Forest is that the ONLY portions that can be ridden are the designated trails. Just because there's a sign signifying there is a trail doesn't mean it's allowed. A sign like 2N84A for example, might have a motorcycle, a horse and a hiker on it. Doesn't mean you can ride a motorcycle on it though unless it's on the designated trail map. It is very confusing the way they end run the riders, tricking them into thinking they are on legal trails because they fail to remove signage on past trails. Which is why my bike is camo. Speaking of which, I dug out my ghillie suit couple weeks ago and played hide-n-seek with the grand kids when here for Easter. They finally got smart and released the hounds on me. They sniffed me out in no time. Ha! I got a new pair of riding pants in the mail today too. Here's a link. They have both hip and knee pads as well as articulation in the knees and upper ass area. I think they are too small for me, but not so much as not usable. Here's a link for anyone wanting a decent pair of riding pants that don't look like motocross pants;
Amazon.com: Takuey Motorcycle Riding Denim Jeans for Men Motocross Racing Armor Pants with Detachable CE Certified Knee Hip Protector Pads (Camouflage, L=32): Clothing

The Army Green are nice as you could get away wearing those anywhere and never draw suspicion you are a rider. They run large. I'm a waist size 36 in Levi's 501's and 34 in just about anything else. 190 pounds and 5'11". I ordered the 32 inch waist pants here and they fit, but 'the boys' would be happier in a 34 inch I believe. Still, I plan to loose at least 10 pounds in the next few months, (chemo really had me retaining a lot of weight, up to 206 1st week of March and now 190) so these should do for rides. They have some stretchy stuff in these jeans, not like 501's. They stretch. Mine fit me very much like the model in the listing. Boots are worn outside the pants, not over the boot jeans.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I only ride BurlingtonRidge in the off season,I like when there is a little snow and no one else, never in summer as I favor the higher sierras then. Usually I avoid any designated ORV areas as much as I avoid campgrounds. I just mentioned it since it is easy and is open now.

ibdavid, just how skilled and/or adventurous are you on your TW? The steep terrain of much of the lower American River canyons can make their single tracks fairly challenging. Upper reaches of Western States Trail are more mellow in my limited experience. Don't want to propose anything too demanding until we know each other's comfort level. Now Jerry & I have ridden together and I know he can leave me in the dust. Personally I bailed on the China Wall trail system after exploring briefly on the TW, just seemed unnecessarily risky for a solo ride. A small group does add confidence though.

Keep tossing out ideas though.
Great question!....a smart one too.

I'm middle of the road on my skill level, probably a bit lower because I don't have a lot of TW/Motocycle seat time. I am a mountain bike rider and have been for many years, so that does help with balance and knowing how to handle two wheels, albeit a lot lighter. I'm also pretty savvy with local trails and terrain. Gear wise, not great. I am part of the over 50 crowd and don't need to do high adrenaline rides all the time.

I think we should plan a ride near Ski/Georgetown or in that vicinity. Someone pick a date, throw it out, and see if it sticks. A small group is just fine..

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Looking to get out at least once this summer with some fellow TW'ers. Post up ride plans here if you want company.

Maybe we can plan a July gathering of some kind, although I'm not a good "planner" as my wife tells me all the time.

My only offering at this point (besides carb shims if you need) is planning anything in the Grouse Ridge, Four Dice, Downieville, or Bowman Lake area.

Hope you're all "Enjoying the ride".
Hi-

Hope about newbies to join a ride?! Near Pilot Hill/EDH.....had TW about 3 weeks now. Will enter the April contest with before/after. ; )

·
Registered
691 Posts
Don't forget the, dang what do you call it? You know what I mean, the thing. The Ride and Shoot. The last weekend in October. Camping on the shore of Shasta Lake. This is a great group ride for beginners. Easy sixty miles of narrow dirt roads through a conifer forest with some autumn color. We ride to an abandon mine and shoot targets. Bring ear protection. Littletommy, scooterbrain, and Purple donated funds last time which led to barbecue steak and jumbo prawns dinner for everyone. It was so good. I was miserable the whole night. It was so good! I'll never do that again. But it was sooooo good. Is there such a thing as a food hang over. I blame Littletommy, Scooterbrain and Purple for that. Look for more details, warnings and disclaimers come end of summer. Last weekend in October. Trick or Treat. Dirts a Flyen SanDue🙄😀

·
Registered
21,491 Posts
Pilot Hill seems fairly close to lots of good terrain off of HWY49. While I usually ride the cooler higher Sierras an hour to two east, often right out of my back door, I'ld be willing to come down to experience some ticks and poison oak with you folks before it get too hot.
If I'm willing to drive a few hours don't see why Bay Area types can't load up and come join in the fun too.

Reactions: Donzo

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Pilot Hill seems fairly close to lots of good terrain off of HWY49. While I usually ride the cooler higher Sierras an hour to two east, often right out of my back door, I'ld be willing to come down to experience some ticks and poison oak with you folks before it get too hot.
If I'm willing to drive a few hours don't see why Bay Area types can't load up and come join in the fun too.
I don't know of any off road riding in the Pilot Hill area of 49. Everything is private ranch land, some BLM and then, of course, the state park campground on Rattlesnake Bar. What are you thinking of?

·
Registered
21,491 Posts
Nothing specific around Pilot Hill, just mentioned Kimbo20's location as being somewhat close for everyone responding so far as viewed from the viewpoint of a guy who lives a hundred miles away. I was not proposing a ride there. I know only of fun further up Forest Hill Road up on public lands. Figured SkiPro or Donzo would know better options below the current snow line. I'll likely be camping and riding for a few days somewhere east of Sierra Crest where we have lighter snow pack next week. I can ride from my house to several full days of back road & trail adventure but want to enjoy sitting around a campfire before the fire bans begin.
Assume talk so far has been about just a day ride where we all get up at "0 dark 30" and haul bikes to a rendezvous launching point as opposed to overnighting.
Also assume working stiffs have only weekends available.

Reactions: Kimbo20

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Sunday, May 2nd, is the Fools Gold Enduro located on the Rock Creek Trail System on the Georgetown Ranger District on the Eldorado National Forest. Today would be the day to go out there and poach their route. The signage will be up by now, marking the route. By Monday, it will be clapped out after 300+ riders grid-lock on the tough sections and tear up the terrain and turn it into moon dust.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Working stiff here....weekends only, or the occasional planned "overnighter". I'm in if we can pull something together.

I know a ton of stuff in my area, i.e. Grouse Ridge, Downieville, and Boman Lake, but that might be a bit much for a day gathering, or not. I'm willing to haul the bike for a meet up too.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Let's get something on the books! First where.....then when?...or is it when, then where?:D

·
Registered
21,491 Posts
Cyber scouting shows Grouse Ridge, Bowman etc still snowed in but Burlington Ridge/ Chalk Bluff/ Yuba River canyon and placer mining districts open. Gold Lake/Sierra Buttes still snow bound.
Just returned from scouting some places off HWY 88. While dusty and crowded on weekends the Pi-Pi Valley, Gold Note, Five Corners ORV areas are all dry, hot and open. Good forested single tracks and roads. A little moister up by Middle Fork Consumes with patches of snow melting daily.. Mokelumne River side fairly deserted but mostly limited to pavement but still fun. All campgrounds and lodges remain closed so undeveloped camping is the available solution.
Nice to not see COVID used as an excuse for ongoing dysfunctional services but to see weathered road closure barriers sighting flood damage from 3 years ago seems a stretch. This has closed off some good boon-docking and off-road riding and cut off connecting south to HWY 4.
Poor cell coverage and a limited number of sites large enough for everyone's rigs has typically required me to scout a day in advance to secure a site and then ride out to cell coverage to announce location. Takes a bit of effort, one ride's base camp got shifted a good 25 miles due to snow at the intended camp spot. Usually a bit of grumbling about directions, road bumpiness, site size, quality of hammock trees, bugs, etc except when SanDue show up and pamper us with Sue's cooking. Then we only moan from happy full stomachs.:)

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
I’m looking forward to nice ride and to meet/greet some others (just been bonding with Darrell 🤪).....but, on ride home yesterday the old swing-arm chain seal/guard slider thingy finally tore apart. Soooo, not sure to go China route (half price) and wait a month or just shell out double cash. Then states need to take off swing-arm...why simple things, NIOT?! 😩

1 - 19 of 19 Posts