TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Supposed to go bowling in tourny and then match club traveling league Saturday. After looking at weather report which says sunny and mid 60's for saturday, screw bowling....LOL. Anyone for saturday ride? Meet at low water bridge County rd 40/highway 16 at Cache creek in always sunny California! Woo hoo!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Wish I could. Heading up to Redding for a funeral of an old racing buddy from the mountain bike days. He was only 47, died of a massive heart attack on his third heart. Had his first transplant at 24 due to a virus. Spent the last 9 years raising his son (now 10)in Redding and enjoying riding his KTM offroad.

Keep me posted next time you head out there.

Josh

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Next time Josh. I'm gonna skip the buck island and fiske creek detours so have more time in Knoxville OHV and the red elephant mine trail. Been checking goggle earth and it looks like red elephant hooks up to a main trail. From our first ride down red elephant I would rate it intermediate but I'll try take some pics of any tricky parts.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
anybody? ahhh, c'mon. It is going to be about 35 degrees on my ride from Woodland to low water bridge (45 minutes) but once there can change out my heavy gloves for light motocross gloves and go my normal slow speed in the dirt. I'll map out a nice medium ability route so when the days get longer and warmer we can get a nice group ride organized. Supposed to be bald eagles in this area so I'll keep my eyes open and hope I spot one.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
One of these days I hope we can connect. You have a pretty straight shot from Woodland up hwy 16. For me, it looks like alot of driving. Interstate 5 would be straight forward and 'fast'. Highway 20 and 16 are nice for a leisurely Sunday drive but not when you really need to get somewhere and the clock is ticking. Maybe Stoneyford & Goat Mt. road in the spring.

Have a good time and show us what the area was like. Gerry

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gerry, Stoneyford is very nice and have been there with quads/dirtbike about 5 times (extra fuel a must because this place is huge). I would truck my tdub there if we can get a group ride together there in the spring/summer. Its a bit far to ride the tdub (about 2 hours from my house) there which is true for you riding to low water bridge. Bill and Josh both trailered/pickuped theirs to low water bridge last time and were smart to. Don't want to wear yourself out getting to your riding spot...

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Josh, had a fun ride. Took off from my house at 10am and light breeze but very sunny/warm. Took my heavy jacket off at knoxville OHV and was riding in a sweatshirt until got back to low water bridge. Both barriers were moved to side of road near davis creek reservoir. Red elephant mine trail was fun but after riding past where we turned around it had a few bigger climbs. Then it had a long steep downward trail which I rode down (and back up) with no troubles but was a little worried because I was by myself with no one around for miles. Then I came to a steep downward trail with a huge 2 foot rut right in the middle. I know I could have rode it down but coming back up would have been hazardous to me and my TW. I decided to turn around and not risk it (forgot to get pic). Rode around knoxville OHV for awhile and have come to a conclusion that it not a OHV park suited for quads and not even that great for dirtbikes. Stoneyford and Forresthill are both alot better. I'll come back and explore more only because its close. Supposed to be a waterfall that I haven't found yet. Talked to a local at low water bridge who was unloading his quad out of a horse trailer and he told me about a riding area/old mines up on highway 20 called walker ridge/indian valley road. Will check it out later.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Was checking "riderplanetUSA" website and found where swimming hole and waterfall are at in "knoxville OHV". Found mud hole/pond last trip so will find water fall/swimming hole next time and see if I can find another way around that steep hill on "red elephant mine trail".

·
Registered
13,239 Posts
Looked like a neat ride. The area in the photo's looks like a real nice place to ride. How long was your ride, out all day? Couple years ago I went down a hill I wish I hadn't. Heck of a time getting back up. Thanks for sharing your ride.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Mr. Importmech, I drove to Indian Valley reservior to paddle around some years ago. Based on what I had to deal with in the car, I would say, lots of dirt and exploration to be done. I will investigate in cyber space and let you know. Seems logging roads here are now gated and snowed in. Gerry

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Admiral, Got a late start for ride (10am) but was nice to let it warm up a little outside and didn't get back to my house till sunset (5:30ish). Put about 150 miles on the trip. Mrgizmo, looks like walker ridge/indian valley reservoir might be an interesting place to explore. Let me know what you find out about the area.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
From my initial investigation, I would say there are lots of dirt roads and jeep trails in the area. In general, it appears like I could spend the rest of my life exploring the area and still not see it all. The downside is the time spent getting there, but as drives go, it is pretty straight forward.

For you, it appears you could take hwy 16 and turn left when you hit hwy 20. You then go about 1/4 of a mile then turn right on Bear Valley road. After about 14 miles on Bear Valley, a left turn on Brim rd. will put you on dirt heading towards the resevoir. My recollection of Brim rd. and that area in general is, corse dirt and crushed rock. As mud goes, likey more passable than the muck on my ridge, but then, this is nothing more than a "guess". Another plus is that alot of the 'roads' are below 2500 feet, so snow should not be an issue.

Let me know what you think about an adventure in that area. Gerry

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gerry, I'll check it out and take pics next chance I get.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gerry, got your email (went to my spam folder) but erased it by accident. I would be up for ride/exploring at walker ridge/indian valley reservoir area. Lets see if we can get a group of local tw guys (bill? josh?) and maybe wait for it to warm up a little and for the days to get longer. I carry a tow rope in case anyone gets stuck in the mud or bike breaks down. Had to tow a disabled dirtbiker (with my 3wheeler) out of local creek last friday afternoon...lol. poor guy had creek water up to the gas tank. He was so far away from his house that we towed it to my truck and gave him a ride home. His wife gave me a 30 pack of budlight for my troubles. Couldn't leave him there with that nice suzuki 400.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts