TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 255 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, initial planning stages for the next ride:
Start location: Red Bluff, California Intersection of Hwy 36/99 at the start of Hogsback Rd (Belle Mill Rd)
End location: Red Bluff, California
Ride will start on Hogback Rd (approx. 22mi), becomes dirt head out and eventually join Peligreen Jeep Trail loop (36 miles) and return via Hogsback Rd (22mi) or something similar in mileage.
At least one water crossing, possibly more :D
Decisions:
  • Does this become a camp and ride, i.e. camp the night before ride to get an early start or a camp after the ride or do the normal out and back in a day? (note: Red Bluff is roughly same distance/time as driving to Lakeport for those Bay Area folks)
  • Timing, pretty hot right now may need to wait until early October (note last week of October is hunting season)
More info coming soon:
Any thoughts from potential riders?

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I'm in. Any date, except July 15, any option. On a map this may look further than Lakeport, but Josh is right. Easy freeway drive to Redbluff. Have you riden this before Josh?

Joe

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Of course I'm in. Coming in Friday night and camping till sunday would be my preference but could come in Saturday early too.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@ Joemama -haven't ridden those trails specifically, but they are covered in an off road trails book I have with maps and gps way points. If you go to google maps, type in Hogsback Rd, Red Bluff and follow that road out you'll see where it intersects with a number of forest service roads.
@ evan, yes that sounds like a great idea Fri-Sun but for me it's pretty hard to clear more than 1 night away from home with my little gremlin, errrr I mean daughter. :D

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
October is good for me, plenty of time for me to get my act together. September is Boonville fair time.

Camping sounds good, & that area is nice in the fall. m.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
i'm in! i was just there two weeks ago.... very hot, very dry. as mentioned it's an easy drive from the bay area.

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
And I thought Santa Margarita was hot -- I just checked weather dot com and Red Bluff is much hotter. I can't commit right now for Oct. but I for sure will try to make it. Camping is good for me too. Tony

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And I thought Santa Margarita was hot -- I just checked weather dot com and Red Bluff is much hotter.
Yep, that is why we need to wait until late September or October, squeak in as the temps begin to come down and before the winter closures.
Josh

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Well now you folks will be in my neighborhood. Maybe I can set-up a 'toll booth'. Perhaps with the money I make I can afford to have an updated dual front manufactured.

Kidding aside, the Hogs Back area is one hot little piece of heaven this time of year. I have ridden it twice, once on the TW and many years earlier on my mt. bike. September would be great. Here are a few pictures. Gerry

With tongue firmly pressed against cheek, I refer to this as the Hogs Back hiway. Might I say, 'aggressively textured'. As this is the section that cuts off from Paynes Creek down to hwy 99 it will be avoided (I think).

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
​Hi Ronnydog. After my debacle on the great Cow Mt. adventure I decided to forgo the seldom used dual front and like Fred, I went to a 13 tooth primary and kept the 50/55 rears. The nice thing about not riding is, you can set your bike up any way you want. Whats the problem with strapping a microwave to my back rack,,,, I don't ride anyway.. I check the battery tender from time to time. If all else fails, I simply purchase another motorcycle. Last month I bought a 'nice' XT-225. Seems to have odd electrical issues that suggests a bad charging-coil on the stator. Being the intrepid adventure, I spent $300 on my new 'ride' an ordered a new stator and pulsar coil. Likely as not, I will hook that up to a battery tender as well.

Seems I am at a point in my life where I realize I don't have many years left to repair the roof, jack-hammer out and replace the sidewalk, sand and repaint the shop.............. My focus seems to be getting my 'hut' up to spec. Retirement is nice, but you still need to figure out how to pace yourself. For me, that is still a challenge. Take care my Friend.... Gerry

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Great that you have been there Gerry, Be nice to have someone with us who has been there.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Josh always does a great job researching his routes, so I am sure you folks will be fine. Those of you into some odd history should do a search on "Ponderosa Way". Lots of exploring to be done in that hiway 99/36/32 triangle. Never rode the jeep trail. Gerry

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Vanity man here...I think September would be a great time for a ride up in N CA.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Josh always does a great job researching his routes, so I am sure you folks will be fine. Those of you into some odd history should do a search on "Ponderosa Way". Lots of exploring to be done in that hiway 99/36/32 triangle. Never rode the jeep trail. Gerry
all the same gerry, i hope you'll meet up, even if just for lunch.

speaking of the tehama triangle, check out this bit of local oddity: https://findery.com/RenRatCA/notes/what-the

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Speaking of the route, I think I've managed to string together a loop. Need to get some more detailed TOPO maps of the area to make sure the side trips are roads versus closed hiking trails.
@Gerry, I'll send you the garmin map package once I finish laying in the "tracks" for your review.
Getting excited already-may have to go up for a recon ride early just for piece of mind. :D

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Plotted the preliminary route (88 +/- off road miles), only one section I may need to reroute may have selected a hiking trail :p. Just need to do a little more research on possible side trips and figure out a good camp ground to stage from.
Josh

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As an update prelim waypoint and track data has been sent to local expert for review. :D

1 - 20 of 255 Posts