TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
13,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rider Report can be found here: http://tw200forum.com/forum/trails-off-road-adventure-riding/22529-admirals-spuds-suds-north-idaho-ride-avery-idaho.html

Open Invite 11, 12, 13 August. 14th will be travel day back home.

Planning on a few days of riding in the Avery, Idaho area.

11 August: Afternoon ride, route/location TBD. Will be arriving in the Avery area midday and setting up camp. An exact camp spot has not been decided yet as I have more research to find a camp spot. Hopefully, the free kind but will pay the 10-15 dollars for a Forest Service camp spot if I have to. If someone here has been riding or camping here before, fess up to some info like camp spots or don't miss places to see.

Main Ride days are 12 & 13 August.

12 August: 60 +- loop ride from Avery north to Wallace ID & return. Time permitting might go eat lunch in Wallace. Could add a tour of the old whore house. I've been on that tour before, it's ok but not for kids as suggested by the adult theme of the place. Lots of neat train tunnels & trestles on this route. Moon Pass rd. is mostly easy Forest Service road i.e. gravel. Not technical at all but very historical. Not sure about the return road as I've not been here before. Route direction is tentative as I've heard from a source to ride this reverse of what I've planned.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/15304422

13 August: 91 mile +- loop ride from Avery south to Clarkia, ID & return. This route has some possible short hiking should we want to see some of the old logging history in the area. There are some old logging camps, Steam Donkeys, and even an old abandoned logging steam locomotive. Course the route mileage and time will determine if hiking is a good option.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/15305588

Anyway, that's my basic plan. Only real thing I need to pin down at this point is a camping spot.

Updated 26 July.

Fuel & Food:
Avery has fuel & grocery store (Scheffy's General Store & Motel).
Wallace has lots of fuel & food places.
Clarkia J & E Stop Bar & Grill, Sporting Goods, Gas

Camp: Without or until we know anyone else is coming, I'm prioritizing my camp location based on just Mrs. Admiral and myself. Info below is what I got from the St. Joe FS Site as I've not physically been here. Campgrounds 1-3 are basically dry camps (no hookups) from what I can tell.

1. Telichpah: Roughly 4.5 miles north of Avery off FS456. Not much room for RV's but can accommodate tents up to a Pickup Camper no larger. Cost is Free. Depending on available space, this is the one we will be at unless more people are coming.

2. Turner Flat: Roughly 9 miles east of Avery off St. Joe River road (FH50). Basically, stay on the same road you drive past Avery. Can accommodate more of a group. Cost is $6.00 per night. This is my second choice should more people come or Telichpah is full.

3. Tin Can Flat: Roughly 2 miles east of Turner Flat, 11 miles east of Avery on St. Joe River road (FH50). Can accommodate more of a group. Cost is Free. This is my third choice should the other campsites be full.

I'm not going to stay at any of the below but listed it for the benefit of others.

Cabins by Joe: An RV Campground (11 spaces & 4 cabins) in Avery across the river. (http://www.cabinsbythejoe.com/rv-park/). RV site cost is $25 & $28 with hookups. Cabins 1 & 2 cost $120 a night and cabins 3 & 4 $65 per night.

St. Joe River Retreat in Avery. At $160 per night, I'll just list the website: http://northidahoretreat.com/

Scheffy's General Store & Motel: http://www.scheffys.com/lodging.htm.

·
Registered
19,445 Posts
Neat plan Admiral. I worked out of Wallace for the highway dept. for awhile back when it had the only stop light on interstate. We were getting rid of that stoplight with a freeway by-pass. a40cfb2a82dde81baeabd016a2af3183.jpg
I never visited the Oasis though, hear they had a fairly simple business plan with timers and color coded money boxes for the girls. BORDELLO_MUSEUM_srx_hx_08-02-2009_RJGLR4O.jpg
While it was odd to see drunk silver miners stumbling out of the bars at 7 in the morning I tended to spend my free time doing more outdoor activities like fishing. Woods can be beautiful there. 569f397d1d315a99b9079de3c4e6a3f7.jpg
Need to check my calendar for August!

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I would love to join you, but I am riding the Loose Screw in Kamloops that weekend.

·
Registered
13,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The below info was added to post #1 but putting it here as well.

Updated 26 July.

Fuel & Food:
Avery has fuel & grocery store (Scheffy's General Store & Motel).
Wallace has lots of fuel & food places.
Clarkia J & E Stop Bar & Grill, Sporting Goods, Gas

Camp: Without or until we know anyone else is coming, I'm prioritizing my camp location based on just Mrs. Admiral and myself. Info below is what I got from the St. Joe FS Site as I've not physically been here. Campgrounds 1-3 are basically dry camps (no hookups) from what I can tell.

1. Telichpah: Roughly 4.5 miles north of Avery off FS456. Not much room for RV's but can accommodate tents up to a Pickup Camper no larger. Cost is Free. Depending on available space, this is the one we will be at unless more people are coming.

2. Turner Flat: Roughly 9 miles east of Avery off St. Joe River road (FH50). Basically, stay on the same road you drive past Avery. Can accommodate more of a group. Cost is $6.00 per night. This is my second choice should more people come or Telichpah is full.

3. Tin Can Flat: Roughly 2 miles east of Turner Flat, 11 miles east of Avery on St. Joe River road (FH50). Can accommodate more of a group. Cost is Free. This is my third choice should the other campsites be full.

I'm not going to stay at any of the below but listed it for the benefit of others.

Cabins by Joe: An RV Campground (11 spaces & 4 cabins) in Avery across the river. (RV park | Cabins by the Joe). RV site cost is $25 & $28 with hookups. Cabins 1 & 2 cost $120 a night and cabins 3 & 4 $65 per night.

St. Joe River Retreat in Avery. At $160 per night, I'll just list the website: Rental cabin St Joe Avery Idaho lodging Fishing Hunting

Scheffy's General Store & Motel: Welcome to Scheffy's Motel & General Store.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
As usual, Admiral has put in a significant amount of time and effort to create a fantastic plan. I commend you, sir. I am planning for a 6pm arrival on Thursday with my truck and trailer.

I like options 2 & 3 for camping. Those are on the river, have some larger room for trailers, and have some bigger areas for groups as you mentioned. Here is a thread from the last time I was out that way...http://tw200forum.com/forum/trails-off-road-adventure-riding/5504-st-joe-river.html We were at Turner Flat campground.

I have never seen that ride with gps site before. It looks useful to create rides. I have one suggestion on the Wallace route...from Avery to Loop Creek Rd at about mile 9, there is an alt road/trail that follows on the opposite side of the river, I would recommend using it as Moon Pass road is like a dirt road highway. Several cars use Moon Pass, and it can be super dusty.

If looking for a ride after arrival on Thursday, I suggest just riding east out St. Joe Rd. then south 'til the pavement ends at Spruce Tree campground. It follows the river, and is just beautiful and fun. Pics from the above linked thread are of this ride. Of course there are many off-shoots to explore.

This area is fantastic with tons of roads and trails to explore. I wish I could spend weeks out there, so this looks very fun!

·
Registered
13,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As usual, Admiral has put in a significant amount of time and effort to create a fantastic plan. I commend you, sir. I am planning for a 6pm arrival on Thursday with my truck and trailer.

I like options 2 & 3 for camping. Those are on the river, have some larger room for trailers, and have some bigger areas for groups as you mentioned. Here is a thread from the last time I was out that way...http://tw200forum.com/forum/trails-off-road-adventure-riding/5504-st-joe-river.html We were at Turner Flat campground.

I have never seen that ride with gps site before. It looks useful to create rides. I have one suggestion on the Wallace route...from Avery to Loop Creek Rd at about mile 9, there is an alt road/trail that follows on the opposite side of the river, I would recommend using it as Moon Pass road is like a dirt road highway. Several cars use Moon Pass, and it can be super dusty.

If looking for a ride after arrival on Thursday, I suggest just riding east out St. Joe Rd. then south 'til the pavement ends at Spruce Tree campground. It follows the river, and is just beautiful and fun. Pics from the above linked thread are of this ride. Of course there are many off-shoots to explore.

This area is fantastic with tons of roads and trails to explore. I wish I could spend weeks out there, so this looks very fun!
Glad you can make it, more to share the beauty in this part of Idaho.

The main reason I want to ride 456 from Avery to Wallace is for the tunnels, otherwise, I would normally avoid such a main road. I like your idea about the alternate. Scoping other folks rides and pictures in the area, if there is enough time I'd like to poke around up some of the side roads.

The worst part of this whole ride is it will be a tease. I can see there is tons of riding in the area and I won't want to leave. Reviewing your St. Joe River post, it only confirmed the tease factor!:D

I've used "RidewithGPS" on and off over several years. Some of the main features I like about it are: you can toggle between "follow the roads" mode when placing the waypoints, and drawing a line. Drawing a line lets you follow a trail or a road you know is there and shown on the map but the program doesn't recognize.

Another thing I like about it is you can place or mark your waypoints a lot farther apart and it will fill in the track from point a to b and so forths. Sort of like in Google Earth when you ask for directions from point a "here" to point b "there". Some other programs like basecamp, the track doesn't automatically follow the road and you have to place a bunch of track or waypoints on the route. In basecamp, if you place points a & b and the road has many turns, the track will draw a straight line from a to b.

·
Registered
13,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Tempting, but 800 miles each way kind of makes it a week for me. Anyone else going?
Well, it looks like Wa Larry is coming. I have a strong "maybe" from one forum member who PM'd me about coming a couple days ago and Mrs. Admiral has received a maybe as well. How strong that maybe is I don't know. Since the member PM'd me instead of posting in here I will keep who it was confidential unless the member posts here.

Honestly, this is a long way for you to travel for just a couple days of planned group riding. I don't want to steer you away from coming, but I think it would be more worth your effort if this was a week-long ride like Moab.

I'd love for you to come but it is a long way to get up there!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I was probably the "maybe" Admiral posted about. I was able to make it work and will be there for this trip. I made non-refundable reservations at Sheffy's, so no backing out now. I will be there sometime in the afternoon or very early evening on the 11th and ride both days with everyone. I may stay an extra day as well, mostly to fly fish the St. Joe east of Avery, IF the weather is not too hot to stress the fish. Looking forward to the ride ALOT. Thanks to Admiral for putting this together and extending it to the forum.

·
Registered
13,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was probably the "maybe" Admiral posted about. I was able to make it work and will be there for this trip. I made non-refundable reservations at Sheffy's, so no backing out now. I will be there sometime in the afternoon or very early evening on the 11th and ride both days with everyone. I may stay an extra day as well, mostly to fly fish the St. Joe east of Avery, IF the weather is not too hot to stress the fish. Looking forward to the ride ALOT. Thanks to Admiral for putting this together and extending it to the forum.
You were the "Strong Maybe" :p.

Glad you can make it, see you there!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Soooo..... Look'n at the map from the Boont to Avery is around 1K miles one way. With travel & ride & adventure, I think I need 10 days off work. That might be tricky for me, but I'll run it past the gang at work. Karen gave me the ok, so we'll just have to see what work says... :unsure: m.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Soooo..... Look'n at the map from the Boont to Avery is around 1K miles one way. With travel & ride & adventure, I think I need 10 days off work. That might be tricky for me, but I'll run it past the gang at work. Karen gave me the ok, so we'll just have to see what work says... :unsure: m.
Well, I'm out this time. Long story short, work can not spare me for that much time right now. BUT, I will make it to Idaho someday, too many good people to ride with & too many good trails to ride! Have fun everyone! m.

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Where is the dis-like button?

Well, I'm out this time. Long story short, work can not spare me for that much time right now. BUT, I will make it to Idaho someday, too many good people to ride with & too many good trails to ride! Have fun everyone! m.

·
Registered
13,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In all fairness, it is a long drive to North Idaho. Look for a ride announcement next year, we'll be putting another ride together then I'm sure. Maybe even to the Burgdorf-Warren area. Lots of roads and trails for all abilities.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have a single room reserved at Sheffy's hotel in Avery for Aug 11-14, but am willing to share, if that will push someone on the fence into going. Maybe save pulling a camper LOTS of miles? My single is $65 but Sheffy's said it would be $20 a night for someone to crash in the second bed already in the room. Willing to share at $42 a night each if that is easier on you than pulling a camper. I do snore some but not much, so beware. I'm NOT looking to save money as it is already pretty cheap, but I don't want someone to miss out just over a bed (has kitchen, private bath and shower, and a few free cold ones if you like my beer style). No pressure either way. Just expanding the options.

·
Registered
367 Posts
OK, less than a week away and we have about 6.25 riders that are committed..

Eric & Larry if you arrive early enough on Thursday please plan on having dinner with the us. I will have ribs & some kind of salad ready about 6:30.. (if you're a vegetarian I'll have a cucumber you can gnaw on).
On Friday I will also plan on making dinner for everyone when we get back from the ride. Don't get all excited now, cause it's just gonna be hamburgers and pasta salad. Nothing fancy. If you want fancy you can wear a bow tie. And for those vegetarians I'll have another dang cucumber for you to gnaw on..
You're on your own for Saturday dinner but we can all sit around the camp fire (or ring) admiring what the other person is eating. No need for us to retreat to our own campers and eat in silence. (ha ha The Admiral knows there is never any silence for him if I'm around)

If there's any one else planning on coming, even if it's just for the day just PM either The Admiral or I so we know to expect you and can let you know where we end up camping.

I think The Admiral planned on having lunch in Wallace on Friday when we are out riding - so don't forget your wallets! We will be joined at this time by a few more riders.

Wilbur is looking forward to showing off his new colors! He's been transitioning for the past week but should be all pink and pretty by time we leave... OINK OINK and he has a little surprise he wants you all to hear. giggle

·
Registered
84 Posts
Wow. Sounds great. I think I will be there by 6:30 Thursday, but not sure. Can I bring anything for either of the meals, or just money to help with cost? Also, have you and Admiral settled on which of the 3 sites you all will be camping. Finally, is beer OK with the group? If anyone would prefer alcohol was not around, I COMPLETELY understand. Sounds like a lot of questions suddenly. Sorry for being high maintenance.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts