TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anybody want to see another video series?

Winter is here, so I don't know what else to do besides relive the glory days of the riding season by watching it. This was filmed on October 8, 2017. I take the TW200 with Sidekick Chad on his XT225 up North Ridge Trail 1321 and over South Cle Elum Ridge Trail 1326 for some single track riding. It was sunny and over 50 degrees down at 2000 ft where we started. Climbing to 6000 ft and sub-freezing temperatures and everything in between was interesting to say the least. Rocks, roots, mud, snow...we set out to find some fall color and ride before we couldn't. This day took about 5 or 6 hours. I liked a lot of the footage, so I'm going to make it into another multi-part series . In this first part we set off in the lowlands on the power line and forest roads to get to the trail head before setting off on the single track. Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
It sounds like Chad was having way too much fun. My DT loves those type of trails. It just seems to float over those root obstacles that hang up the TW. An ATV tire also helps on the TW if you do a lot of those loose single tracks.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I owned property a few miles south of Cle Elum in the eighties and until 92, right next to the L T Murry. It was my southern border. From your video, it seems the trails have been groomed since then. Other than jeep trails it was pretty rough in the eighties. I rode a bored and stroked XL 350 Honda in those days that displaced 500cc.
A lot of the trails I rode on an XL 650 Yamaha twin 78 model year. Some of the guys I rode with were aghast that I could take that bike in there and get back out.
I used to ride the trails that went down past lost lake all the way to the American river on the Chinook Pass.
In 91 I made a little money as a movie extra when they filmed "Northen Exposure" in Rosalind. My spellcorrecter won't let me spell that right.

·
Registered
13,343 Posts
Oh yes, we need more cow bell, err I mean video. :D I watched the video on youtube before seeing it posted here. For the benefit of the forum members, this is what I posted on youtube.

Wet roots are nasty.Listening to you two giggle makes me giggle. Sidekick Chad's giggle sounds more like a nervous giggle though.:p

This video reminds me of attempting a trail about 10 years ago or more when I tried riding on a trail for the first time. After just a short distance into the trail, I got hung up in a spiderweb of tree roots, spinning the tire and ultimately tipping over. The engine was hot heating up my trapped leg quite nicely. To top it off, I tipped over with me in a downhill direction with the TW trapping me and gas spilling all over. In short order, I was able to cut the power but it took me several minutes to free myself from under the TW. Once I got upright and got the TW upright, I smartly turned around vowing to never return to this trail.

I didn't listen to myself. A couple years ago I returned after having some trail 'sperience. I conquered it without any falls anywhere on the trail. I did flip off the roots when I rode over them on this trip.

Wa Larry, this is what your video reminded me of. Looking forward to the next video of this ride...we need it all couped up and all!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have always enjoyed the “dry” side of Washington state as opposed to the “wet” side. Your video today show a perfect dry, or eastern Washington, ride.

Having Indian heritage I can say with authority that local Indian mythology is that the Cascade Mountains were created so that off road motorcyclists would have this choice in riding conditions.

Tip of the hat to you and all the others who make the time and effort to produce riding videos.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh yes, we need more cow bell, err I mean video. :D I watched the video on youtube before seeing it posted here. For the benefit of the forum members, this is what I posted on youtube.

Wet roots are nasty.Listening to you two giggle makes me giggle. Sidekick Chad's giggle sounds more like a nervous giggle though.:p
Haha, thanks for sharing, in both places. You know, I asked Chad about that laugh. He said that he was laughing so hard because of that difficult section, and he was thinking about how hard he thought it would be for me with my tiny wheels, and he thought I would be so mad. So, basically it is a villainous laugh.

·
Registered
19,418 Posts
Nice trail.
Stock rear tire really lacks an adequate tread/void ration to get a decent grip on roots compared to something like a Duro PowerGrip ATV tire. Gummy trials tire up front plus maintaining momentum sure helps too when smooth roots prevent any good bite. I feel that the momentum gained in the few yards preceding the root is what tends to carry the bike across more than any thrust generated on face of the root or log. Good job you two!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice trail.
Stock rear tire really lacks an adequate tread/void ration to get a decent grip on roots compared to something like a Duro PowerGrip ATV tire. Gummy trials tire up front plus maintaining momentum sure helps too when smooth roots prevent any good bite. I feel that the momentum gained in the few yards preceding the root is what tends to carry the bike across more than any thrust generated on face of the root or log. Good job you two!
Agreed. The first root failure of mine in this video was indeed due to a lack of momentum. It was the start of the incline on single track, and I was getting the riding rust off still. The second, you can see I gave 'er hell, launching the front skyward. It was just too steep of a step in a web of roots. My gut told me to take a line to the left, but you can hear Chad directing me to the right. I went with what I was told, as there was a big rock mentioned.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Episode 2: "It looked easier in the other guy's video!"

In this episode we really get into this Cascade mountain trail. The views are amazing, and the slopes are STEEP! It looks like we are a couple of big babies when traversing the rock section, but that is a LONG way down that abrupt embankment if we fail. Better safe than sorry. Enjoy!

·
Registered
13,343 Posts
Sidekick Chad, "What the F is this shit". 2 Thumbs up for that comment! :) ...and if you thought the nasty outcrop was bad, seemed to only get more difficult with one of my trail favorites, "switchbacks", not! You take a break, hell, I had to take a break after watching it looked so difficult. OK, maybe not that difficult for me watching but I can certainly relate to what you two are going through. It looks so intimidating when you have to look uphill at a switchback, doesn't it? Great video.

You and Sidekick Chad are getting it done!

·
Registered
19,418 Posts
What a challenging trail! One of those places where the rider is left wondering "What am I doing here?" and "Why don't I have a larger rear sprocket?". Good place to have a riding buddy to assist at times.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Who's ready for another video?!

Nobody? Okay, bye.

Psych! Okay, here is part 3 from our North Ridge Trail ride titled, "That's why we do this!". The alternate title was, "OH.......this fu*#er's steep!" as I've now gone to using Chad quotes for my titles. In this episode we continue where we left off, winding our way up along the side hills. A few of these slopes we need to ride up are freakin' steep! You can tell by how easily our front tires leave the ground. Chad has a chain derailment right in the middle of a climb. After we got it back on, I had to push him to help get him started up the rest of the hill. Fighting the demons in our own minds, we resist the urge to focus on the nasty downhill depths that we would meet should we make a mistake. The expansive mountain and valley view remind us why we do this.

It's starting to get good.

·
Registered
13,343 Posts
A most excellent adventure you two have going. So, Chad has a "kinky chain" does he? :p Yeah, the timing of the chain derailment wasn't good for sure. The good thing about riding these hard trails is they get easier over time as you gain experience. haha I just spit my coffee out reading that last line I wrote. Easier, no it don't! :D

Ermagerd, Chad almost did a cliff dive. Whew, that was close. I'm guessing at the first sign of snow you started to say "Oh Crap!". The snow would have made me nervous. Well, so would roots, sidehill exposure, steepness etc. Love it, well done.

Your trail ride reminds me of the accidental overnight trail ride I did with my son except it's still light out. Ah, Part 4 is coming up. There's still time for darkness!
:p

·
Registered
126 Posts
Nobody? Okay, bye.

Psych! Okay, here is part 3 from our North Ridge Trail ride titled, "That's why we do this!". The alternate title was, "OH.......this fu*#er's steep!" as I've now gone to using Chad quotes for my titles. In this episode we continue where we left off, winding our way up along the side hills. A few of these slopes we need to ride up are freakin' steep! You can tell by how easily our front tires leave the ground. Chad has a chain derailment right in the middle of a climb. After we got it back on, I had to push him to help get him started up the rest of the hill. Fighting the demons in our own minds, we resist the urge to focus on the nasty downhill depths that we would meet should we make a mistake. The expansive mountain and valley view remind us why we do this.

It's starting to get good.
Man, you guys do like adrenaline. And so do we.

I look at the pitch of that mountain and imagine 300 pounds of motorcycle sliding down 20 to 30 feet. What incredible effort it would take for two people to man-handle it back to the trail. Do you carry some kind of pulley system or lightweight come along?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Man, you guys do like adrenaline. And so do we.

I look at the pitch of that mountain and imagine 300 pounds of motorcycle sliding down 20 to 30 feet. What incredible effort it would take for two people to man-handle it back to the trail. Do you carry some kind of pulley system or lightweight come along?
We do carry a good amount of cord/rope/strap on rides. It would be horrible to have to do a recovery. I'm confident that we'd figure it out. Recovery of a whole bike would be plan 1. Plan 2 would be to bring it up in pieces, and plan 3 would be to leave that sucker and get a new one, HAHA.

Thanks for watching!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Envious of your riding area!!! You have access to some truly amazing trails!! I have written this one down on my "Do it someday" list.

I will be taking a couple of scheduled leave of absences from work during the next few years so I can travel and explore places like this on my motorcycle. I have more than a few states and trail systems already on the list. As long as it's not too "hard core enduro technique" required, I'm game.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Envious of your riding area!!! You have access to some truly amazing trails!! I have written this one down on my "Do it someday" list.

I will be taking a couple of scheduled leave of absences from work during the next few years so I can travel and explore places like this on my motorcycle. I have more than a few states and trail systems already on the list. As long as it's not too "hard core enduro technique" required, I'm game.
Come on out! Just don't leave us in the dust with that Beta! :p

1 - 20 of 34 Posts