TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new TW owner and I'm new to this DIY maintenance. I can read webpapges all day long, you can send me pics, I could buy a manual BUT I'll never believe I'm doing anything the right way until I watch someone else do it.

I saw there was a Tech Meet for TWs on the West Coast. So I was wondering has there ever been or is there any interest in one in the Northeast, Southern New England, Tri-state area? I could host if expectations are low.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm interested, depending on the location.

Reactions: Werloc

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
This sounds like a great idea. Depending on the when i would be willing to host it. I have a workshop with a lot of tools(just needs to be cleaned...). I think a list of topics anyone wants advice on or quick projects anyone wants done would be a good place to start. There are enough of us here from NE that it would be a fun day.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I only have a small garage, mostly full and limited tools. Plus I'm in Central CT so your place sounds much better. I'm mostly looking to watch or try oil change & valve adjust or replace chain and sprockets.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm in for the social aspect - it would be great to meet some locals with TW's - but I am sure I could find something to fiddle with while there.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Just saw this thread... this is a great idea!! I'd be happy to host it, but we need JB882, because he's the one who knows what he's doing. So, Jim, whenever is good for you is OK with me. We could do some riding in conjunction with the tech stuff if folks are so inclined. I have a 2 car garage with plenty of room and probably have the necessary tools as well. Bring the SO along, as Mrs Trip is not overly interested in bike maintenance...we can throw some burgers on the grill and the pool should be open soon.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'd be in for sure. I was thinking of doing the needle shim and 130 main jet but I'm clueless. If it's in Mass I'd be there in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm off every weekend. I'd be up for carb work too.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I'm in. b882 is a great mechanic...and close by too. If an event is held, I'll give a TW sticker to everyone who attends.

Will

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Just saw this thread... this is a great idea!! I'd be happy to host it, but we need JB882, because he's the one who knows what he's doing. So, Jim, whenever is good for you is OK with me. We could do some riding in conjunction with the tech stuff if folks are so inclined. I have a 2 car garage with plenty of room and probably have the necessary tools as well. Bring the SO along, as Mrs Trip is not overly interested in bike maintenance...we can throw some burgers on the grill and the pool should be open soon.
That woulds like a great plan. My tools are portable(well most of them), your awesome riding you have down there is not :D

We need to figure out a date and take it from there. We also should get together a list of things we want to do/get done. Are you still on your ride out west?

JimJames, where in Mass are you at? RT is down in RI and has some awesome riding down there.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
You need to entice Werloc to attend also. He is a real motorcycle motor head from the word go and as long as there is a stream, lake or pond close by his wife will catch dinner.

I do hope that those who do attend with a plan to do something will come prepared. Having all the parts, seals, gaskets, jets, chains, sprockets and other possible necessary parts will certainly make for a much better day.

GaryL

·
Registered
39 Posts
That woulds like a great plan. My tools are portable(well most of them), your awesome riding you have down there is not :D

We need to figure out a date and take it from there. We also should get together a list of things we want to do/get done. Are you still on your ride out west?

JimJames, where in Mass are you at? RT is down in RI and has some awesome riding down there.
I'm down near Fall River so I think he's closer to me than you are. The problem is I'm still riding on a permit (I can have it for 2 years so I'm slacking on taking the test) which will prevent me from riding at night or out of state. Maybe I need to just pull the trigger and get to the RMV.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
We also should get together a list of things we want to do/get done. Are you still on your ride out west?
We got back from Colorado on Saturday night. The ride was epic.
We could do some simple wrenching in the morning, and ride in the afternoon. I'd like to review the valve check procedure with an experienced hand. I'm not confident on correctly identifying the intake stroke. I've got a bunch of things to do, like get the swingarm back on Lynns bike...but she wants to ride so I can't wait to do that. I also have an o ring chain to install.
We can set up some coffee and pastry in the morning, grill some burgers for lunch or post ride.

You need to entice Werloc to attend also. He is a real motorcycle motor head from the word go and as long as there is a stream, lake or pond close by his wife will catch dinner.
GaryL
That would be great if you guys from NY/NJ could join us. We are waterfront on Johnsons Pond, the largest fresh water lake in RI. Its not upstate NY, but there are definitely bass and pike in there. Right off my dock is a popular spot, because the channel is deeper there. Also have a canoe available, but there's a lot of traffic on a weekend on the pond. Other amenities are a pool, fire pit, and billiard room.

I'm down near Fall River so I think he's closer to me than you are. The problem is I'm still riding on a permit (I can have it for 2 years so I'm slacking on taking the test) which will prevent me from riding at night or out of state. Maybe I need to just pull the trigger and get to the RMV.

Its about 45 minutes from Fall River. Far be it for me to advocate law-breaking, but never once has anyone asked to see my license riding around here. Its pretty rural, some of the nearby towns don't even have police.

We could also set up some tents down by the pond, if you'd like to make it a 2 day. There are also hotels, between Twisted Throttle and our house (which is about 4-5 miles away), and other campgrounds around.
We can do it anytime that's good for you guys, our schedule is flexible, this weekend through July. We can also put together different routes depending on what you folks want to ride...mild to wild, or at least, scenic backroads to rock hopping.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'd be interested in tenting it.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Sounds like it might be time to coordinate this all.

So far we have the following topics, keep them coming.
Carb Rejet
Valve Adjustments
Chain Replacement( sprockets?)
Ill keep a running tab here and once we know the when part i can put together a parts list since i'm sure there will be parts needed and a tools list so i can pack it all.

Rhodetrip, I will bring Jenn along, she is also not interested in any sort of bike maintenance either but would certainly be up for a ride. Speaking of which something similar to what we did last time would be perfect.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'd be willing to do a carb rejet and
an oil & filter change / valve adjust.
Would like to watch sprocket swap.
Almost any weekend is good, too.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
OK. That's great. We can do any weekend except June 20th. I think we should just keep it simple the first time and mainly ride, especially if its just you 2 guys and Jenn. I would be up for this Sunday, provided I can get the swingarm back on Lynns bike...if not, well, that could be the wrenching right there.
Next weekend after that is Memorial Day. Be fun to lure some of the other folks for a ride...but we're kind of scary. We can have a more involved event later if there's still interest. Lynn and I ride most every weekend so we don't care. Its always fun to have other people along. We have not ridden around here yet this year, because the weather sucked and then we were off out west. So I haven't done any pre-riding, but the routes I just make up as we go on.

Maybe showers Saturday, Sunday looks decent.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Swingarm is on...

We'll be riding on Sunday.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts