TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With so many awesome ride photos / scenic views that I see in the pictures around here, I notice that they're mostly/all west coast USA and out of the country.. where are the northeast folks? Haven't you taken your bikes out yet?

Post your ride highlights, nice shots, whatever!

I'll start off with a pair from last week: it was quite nice that evening, so I rode some trails that end at the local river with some nice views. These are in far upstate NY, in St Lawrence County.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Adventure Fishing.

Carr Pond, RI.

Little bit of a nice trail ride to get there. Had to try out the new collapsible pole.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Adventure Fishing.

Carr Pond, RI.

Little bit of a nice trail ride to get there. Had to try out the new collapsible pole.

Nice! I don't have a collapsible pole, but was trying to figure out a nice way to put my trout pole on the TW the other day
I think I got it:

Let me know if anyone wants better pictures: its a rubber-lined pipe/bar clamp, and a 1/4" bolt with a pair of washers and a pair of nuts. Nothing special: haven't tested it yet

Annoyingly, you have to take the outer nut off to remove the pole, as the clamp is a pretty tight fit, and my pole has a slight bulge on the cork grip at the bottom.. no room for a wingnut, or it'd be an easy fix.

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
Nice pictures of the TW's by some scenic lakes/ponds. Nice to see your trying to inspire some folks on the "right coast" to post some photo's. So many great places to ride all throughout the Country, which many of us will not get to see.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Two more from today! Found a few nice little ponds, some nasty hill climbs, lots of miles of washboarded dirt roads, and some really excellent riding.

Definitely going back to these with a bit more daylight, a bit more fuel, and a bagged lunch!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Very nice!! I live across the pond in Vt and just got my bike out not long ago.We still had snow banks :)

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very nice!! I live across the pond in Vt and just got my bike out not long ago.We still had snow banks :)

Wow, man I was close to you last week.. wish I would've known there was a local TW rider, I was on vacation with

the family just up the hill from you at Smuggs, and they even opened 108 while I was there.. would've been a

great week for riding (even though its raining and in the 40s again)!

I'd also have loved to see your shop: looked at your site.. damn cool work.

Maybe I'll find myself out your way this summer.. on the bike

Just out of curiousity: have you rejetted your bike for the elevation in your area, or are you running the stock setup?

I'm at ~500ft at home, but was at/above 1200ft for the week and am not sure how much that changes things.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
82F today! In summary, that means skipping out of work early, dropping my crap at home and hitting some trails!

Had a chance to re-explore some areas that I ran out of light on during prior rides, clocked 15 miles on the TW with only about 2 being on pavement. Found a real north country gem, too:

Came down the trail with the railroad tie steps.. didn't go back up it (another day when I don't have to be home early) as I found another way out that hooked into another few mile of trails. Everything got so green and lush since the last time I was out that way.. I love it. Keep 'em coming, everyone!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Did an enduro in RI this weekend. Passed 12 guys in the first 4 miles and then the carb float stuck.

TW went right up this hill, one of the few to make it.

TW loved the deep ruts in the mud. The wide tire hooked up and think I covered this guy with mud when I passed him before the stream.

Gonna try agian when I get this carb thing figured out.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Had occasion to log 70 miles on the bike after work yesterday.. finally had a riding buddy (my brother): but his bike is 4wd and a "bit bigger"

Some public easement land through a very large section of private club land.. trail was only ~9-10 miles long once we found all the gates and signs and whathaveyou. Very very good riding, fairly technical, hard to maintain much speed due to the rocks jutting out of the road, but a lot of fun, and a very nice ride.

Map at trailhead:

Along the trail, about halfway:

A crazy bridge where the road turns private-property: about 4wheeler width. We wouldn't have taken the Toyota across it anyway, as the span was quite long and the bridge quite bouncy.

A view from the side of the same bridge:

A reaaaally nice shot from the center of the bridge, looking downriver:

And a last shot of us on the trail by the river:

For those that would like to eyeball the rest of the series:

http://bd.zenbsd.net/~jontow/phone/tw200/2011-05-25/thumbs.html

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, then.. looks like my trail pictures may soon get some double-TW-vision! My brother bought a "well loved" 91 in need of some work, so we're tackling that as time allows. Here it is on the ride home while spending too much money in diesel at the pump:

Rest of the pictures from that night: http://bd.zenbsd.net/~jontow/phone/lep-tw200/thumbs.html

Conveniently, daily driving the TW gives me plenty of opportunity to "accidentally" take the long way home.. and "accidentally" making a 3.5mile trip into an 80 mile trip

Ended up near where I grew up, where they're replacing a bridge and there are a wealth of nice old dirt/gravel roads. We've had some recent flooding, so the landscape changed a bit. Here are a few shots from that:

Some pretty nasty flood damage:

Lunchtime!

Rest of the pictures: http://bd.zenbsd.net/~jontow/phone/tw200/2011-05-29/thumbs.html

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
After a little TLC, looks like you may have a riding partner eh? After reading some posts over the past couple of weeks, seems like its been wet all over, including Italy! Except in the Southwest where is sounds like it's on fire. And I know what you mean on diesel...$130 to fill up my truck. It sits a lot now.

Thanks for sharing another NY segment. Looks like you have some really nice areas to ride...in the summer!

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Smallish ride report:

Had occasion to run a really technical trail last night with a few friends.. almost entirely a rocky hill ascent and descent with a nice flat halfway point at the top of the hill: trail was about 2-2.5 miles long and fairly close to home. Unfortunately, they were in trucks and jeeps and moving at a pace that wasn't really conducive to taking pictures, but I hope to run it again sometime soon with the camera handy.

When we got over the hill, we found ourselves on relatively decent logging roads and found the exit gated. It was about 10minutes from full darkness and we had to turn around! Turns out previous trail abuse has a section of it closed. Well, quite a few trail hazards such as large rocks, ruts, briars, brush, logs across etc. Took about 1hr to run the trail on the way in when it was light, with a few stops. When we turned around, I decided to adjust my headlight downward and not stop (bear country). Seems to have worked well, but my arms are absolutely demolished from the very long descent on the way down in the dark riding the brakes and keeping myself on the seat in a reasonable spot.

On the way back out, we made it in ~30mins at a fairly slow but constant pace. Definitely one to do again.

Observations:

* Newish toyota trucks with running boards aren't compatible with large logs across the trail

* My chain has loosened up considerably on that particular ride alone

* A long mud puddle crossing makes for wet feet.

* Feet dry out pretty well at 40+mph on the way home, and large split unit air conditioners with outdoor condensers make a good spot to dry shoes while you wait for people.

* Bikes and trucks run trails at a very different pace.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am up in Montgomery. 3 of us have tdubs up here. Definately should go for a ride.

J
I ride my TW every chance I get.I use it to commute to work in south Burlington where I work every day it aint pouring ass rain which this year

which this year has been few and far between

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If I only rode my TW when it was dry out this year, I'd have to clean the varnish out of the carb every time I rode it!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts