TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not really adventure riding, but I guess on a T-Dub everything is an adventure, so...

We left Verona on Thursday to join the French TW riders on the mountains of Ardèche for the 8th Big Wheel Days. We had 500 miles in 2 days in front of us to get there.

Unfortunately when we got to the border with France at the end of the first day, we found ourselves in the middle of one of the worst thunderstorm I'd ever seen. The weather forecast hadn't been good but we'd hoped for just a few showers here and then... well it looked more like a monsoon. It rained the whole night and on Friday morning it was still pouring, and we had 250 miles of mountain roads with a 6,500 ft. high Alpine pass to do, so we just gave up and decided to go back home.

Even worse weather was anticipated for today, when we would be passing on the same road in the opposite direction... and it is pouring right now as I'm writing, even here in Verona. Definitely not the right week-end for a 1000-mile motorbike trip!

Below, the mighty T-Dubs ready to get going!

The place where we stopped on Thursday night - a fabulous B&B and restaurant where we had the most wonderful dinner and wine!

You can't see them behind the clouds, but there were mountains all around.

On the way back home, the rolling hills of Monferrato.

Enjoying a few winding roads in Piedmont.

We didn't have the holiday we were planning, but at least we got to spend some time on our T-Dubs and the old ladies run like a charm!

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Beautiful countryside.

My father was there during the war and has never stopped talking about it.

Is that just the common vegetation on the land between the vineyards, or some other crop?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is that just the common vegetation on the land between the vineyards, or some other crop?

There are orchards, olive trees and poplars, but also a few patches of woodland.

Piedmont is highly underrated among Italian regions, but I liked it a lot in spite of the rain.

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
Rain sure dampens (ha ha) riding enthusiasm sometimes. Too bad you didn't get the whole ride in, but sometimes you just have to know when to call is quits. For safety at least.

That sure is some wonderful looking countryside. At least you got a good dinner and wine out of the deal, and maybe some good, but short riding in.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I add a picture of myself... and the beautiful weather

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sinophilia, great pictures and a good try on your trip. I'm certain many others followed your lead and cancelled also. Good move. We too in the US have had the same type weather for weeks, heavy non stop rain and flooding in a lot of areas plus deadly winds and tornados. My riding has stopped for obvious reasons. This past week the rain/wind has stopped and we have advanced to hot/dry weather with temps in the 90s, allowing a nice week end [this week] for riding [at last]. I enjoy your trips and great write ups, hope your weather changes soon so you can continue riding and sharing Italy with the Forum. 250cc

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you 250cc! Actually most of the French went anyway, they didn't have the Alps to cross, plus they are much more reckless and crazy than us! They had a great week-end in spite of the rain. In the meanwhile it is still raining here in Italy... but in a few days I'll be leaving for the countryside with my "off-road" TW so hopefully I'll have the chance to enjoy lots of winding roads myself during the summer.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Sorry that you didn't get to ride the whole trip. I love the pic of you and the rain. I wish that we took a pic of Lizrdbrth and I huddling under the overpass waiting for the downpour to subside on trip. Are you guys having unusual weather over there like we are? When we originally planned our trip, we picked May because it is normally warm enough but not too hot this time of the year.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We are definitely having unusual weather... since last fall! It rained (and snowed) so much the whole winter, we hardly had a sunny day. This time of the year we should be having sun all the way with just a shower here and then, but it looks like November instead! And the temperature hardly reaches 75°F. Weird weird weird!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The river that flows through Verona, this morning. Someone please make the rain stop!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts