TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Not another Newbie again !

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  qwerty 
#1 ·
I was wondering what you folks use for a stand when working on your TWs. Now bear in mind I'm the only one doing all the work on the bike (no one to hold it steady...pick up one end or the other, etc.). In fact, I can't even pick up either end myself! So I guess I'm looking for some type of foot powered setup but I don't want to break the bank either.

As always thanks in advance.....Joe

#2 ·
#3 ·
I use a rear stand that I bought from Louis.de and with a bit practice I learned to put the bike on it by myself. It is quite easy to keep it balanced, it's so light.

If I need to work on the fork/front wheel, I put the bike on the rear stand and then slide a wooden box and a few boards under the engine while I ask somebody to lift the front for a second.

#4 ·
i've got a set of jack stands that slide nicely under each side of the swingarm and a cantilever front end chock like this http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcycle-stand-wheel-chock-97841.html mine has an e-track compatible base up front so i can secure it easily in my trailer. a 6"x6" piece of plywood on top of a jack, lifting right under the engine in conjunction with the jack stands in back gets the front wheel up in the air securely.

ahm

#5 ·
(The old forum site had much discussion about this topic.) For what it's worth, (and because we're still not back to a recovered economy - I'm the original "recession rack" guy) I had a Craftsman garage jack or floor jack I wasn't using much. My jack's "contact plate" had a large protruding stud at the bottom, which fitted through a hole in the plate below and was fastened by a simple spring clip. I simply removed the clip, lifted off the contact plate, and installed a scrap piece of 2 X 12 with a countersunk 3/8" hex head bolt and nut. (Credit to Babaganoush for the original idea.)

Works great! I go on Medicare this year, but I can easily position the floor jack under the bike so it will raise either end of the bike, without help from anyone. And with the proper size chunk of 2 x 12 lumber under the skid plate, the bike is very stable - the lumber is relatively soft, so it "gives" a little, and the protruding metal bike parts sink into the wood just enough to help hold the bike firmly in place. Unbelievable how easy it is to lube the chain when the back end's off the ground. And really easy to observe the overall chain condition, see whether there are any "tight" sections of chain, etc. Others have devised ways to "tie down" or stabilize the bike while on their jack, but I haven't needed to do so in the more than two years I've used this jack on my T-dub. Really good idea!

- - - - Jim

#7 ·
I have a cheap bike lift ($199 + tax on sale) from Pep Boys. It is of the worktable type, not just a jack. Roll the bike up on it, hook a couple tiedown straps on one end or the other, and it lifts the entire bike up high enough to work standing up.
A small scissors jack and a 2x4 block lifts the end that isn't tied down. The scissors jack makes it very easy to get the bike at just the right height to slide the axle through when remounting a wheel. That alone is worth the price of the lift. For anyone who does their own work it is $199 + tax very well spent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.