TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All in all, this one pretty neat ride.The pros: Great riding in deep sand (those skinny-tired dirt bikes just don't cut it )

light, easy to steer when the going gets tough, good headlight for night trail riding, easy to start.

Cons: about the only thing I would want would be either a dual-range tranny (like an old CT 110) or a 6th gear for street

riding, however I'm trying my best to get used to the high RPM's in stages: I got used to 45 MPH then on to 50 then to 55

without worrying that the engine won't blow up! JMHO. See 'ya..... Joe

·
Registered
13,920 Posts
however I'm trying my best to get used to the high RPM's in stages: I got used to 45 MPH then on to 50 then to 55

without worrying that the engine won't blow up! JMHO. See 'ya..... Joe

I understand your worries at higher RPM's. I've owned my TW for 5 years and had only gone up to 50mph just a handful of time. The high rpm's was a concern as I rode/ride 99% off-road with the stock gearing.

Then this past summer I had occasion to ride pavement for a bit longer of a trip. I ended up taking it up to 60mph with some reservation. Once I realized the nuts and bolts weren't going to fall off a 60. I now feel comfortable at this speed...when I need too. I've had to change my off-road percentabel to 98% off-road now. ha ha.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
With stock sprockets redline is over 70mph. TWs don't mind running high rpm.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Here's a start on your 'duel range' transmission. I have a street range of 15/50 and a trail option of 14/55. I use the same length of chain and simply loosen the axlenut and roll the chain to the adjacent sprocket set. This has served me well for over 2000 miles, though I generally stay in the 'trail' range. Gerry

·
Registered
213 Posts
I am over in Salt Springs and ride the Ocala Forest roads all the time. I have had a great time exploring and the TW is a great bike for all the trails in the area. XRacer come over some weekend and we can ride together. Maybe we could get a bunch of TW's together for a ride?

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
The "Kit" is a 'do it yourself' project. My first go-round was all done in my shop with a hack-saw and grinding stones. This all worked fine, but since I work for a company that has a real complete machine shop, I went beyond my 'proto type' and paid for a lunch-hour upgrade. None of this is rocket science and is pretty low tech so based on the above pictures, you should see what needs to be done. The minor tweeking that I did not present is pretty simple for a 'project guy' to figure out. If you are not a project sort of fellow, this may likely represent to much fussing about. Gerry

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am over in Salt Springs and ride the Ocala Forest roads all the time. I have had a great time exploring and the TW is a great bike for all the trails in the area. XRacer come over some weekend and we can ride together. Maybe we could get a bunch of TW's together for a ride?
Ok, since we're both street legal did you have to go through that OHV process with the Forest Service?

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have ridden the OHV trails and all over the place and have never had to pay since the TW is street legal. I do not ride the OHV trails anymore as they get torn up real bad by the ATV's and they allow you to go both ways on the trails. Scares me, some fast ATV comes around a blind corner and could easily plow into you. No need to ride those OHV trails when there are hundreds of other roads that the none licensed bikes and ATV's are not allowed on. Let me know if you would like to meet up some weekend.

Tom

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have ridden the OHV trails and all over the place and have never had to pay since the TW is street legal. I do not ride the OHV trails anymore as they get torn up real bad by the ATV's and they allow you to go both ways on the trails. Scares me, some fast ATV comes around a blind corner and could easily plow into you. No need to ride those OHV trails when there are hundreds of other roads that the none licensed bikes and ATV's are not allowed on. Let me know if you would like to meet up some weekend.

Tom
Tom, thanks for clearing that OHV question up for me. Right now now I have some title problems (seller didn't sign in all the right places) when I get that cleared up, I'll give you a shout.

Joe

1 - 12 of 12 Posts