TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.. How bad do you want it ???????? Heck of a good deal..You going with a private party or Zeiglers ?????????Have you ever gone to the vintage bike show at Gilmores ? If not, you should try and go.. This year it's june 12th..OMM.

·
Super Moderator
17,968 Posts
I have the opp to trade my TW in on a new KLR 650 and only loose 500 bucks doing so would you do it?
You will regret letting that nice TW go someday. Keep it and also buy an KLR if you feel you need it.

If you let go of the TW, we'll see you back here in a year or two, happens all the time. It's an often told old story here Dan.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Dan, they are such different motorcycles (I've had both), I'd say it depends more on what you want/need.
They're both just tools for different jobs.
Both great motorcycles....

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dan, they are such different motorcycles (I've had both), I'd say it depends more on what you want/need.
They're both just tools for different jobs.
Both great motorcycles....
My stupid motorcycle work buddies want to go on all day rides and currently I hesitate to ride with them because I feel with my fat ass 300 lb body my TW will stand no chance of keeping up with that pack of A holes on their Ninja 250's I have had my bike since Feb this year and just recently IMO it has started to get nice enough to get it out. I have to get my permit so I can learn by riding with these guys Just wondering If I would have more "fun" riding with street bikes on the bigger KLR. I really have no experience riding on the street this TW is my first bike in over 25 years and I am 39 if that tells you anything about my riding. I tool around with my TW on my land and have gotten practice turning and riding I have no problem with it. I am just worked up in my head that my TW would never hang with the sport bikes pointless to try to ride with them if anything I will be having fun reving out the TW and they will be bored going slow on my accord lol maybe I should just keep it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have both, a 2010 TW and a 2015 KLR. Like a poster above said, they're two different bikes for two different jobs. Sure, they're both "dual sport" but the TW is a million times easier to ride and is much more fun and capable off road. However, the KLR can hit 85mph AND do some moderate off roading. If the TW could maintain highway speeds easily then I probably wouldn't have the KLR. As you're discovering, the TW just isn't practical if you have friends that wanna ride (unless they have a TW or a Vespa). It's just not fast enough. If you can swing it, I'd get both. Check out some other online forums and really research the KLR before you take the plunge. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Depends on your taste....650s regardless of which model are IMO basically Street Vehicles....some will disagree. But, and once again, depends on your taste...if you are only spending $500 extra, that seems on paper to be one Hell of a bargin!

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have both and I got to say if I could only have one I would make it the klr.....I love my tw but for every day riding and commuting for me the klr wins hands down, off road works fine but no way on single track. I have only had my klr for a month or so now but now that I do I hardy ride the tw anymore.(like once in the last month) but I am not getting rid of the tw ever:)

·
Registered
779 Posts
Its funny, I agree, two totally different bikes. I would like both, but the 65o con't replace my TW for hunting, single track exploring, trail riding. The TW is sort of streetable IMO (I don't like having zero acceleration capability on the highway, depending on the grade, wind and speed. It's as dangerous as many of the other things discussed on this forum).

·
Registered
319 Posts
It depends.
If you can afford to have both do so.
Trading means you'll be stuck with the one larger bike.
I have three, a 103ci Harley, a 750cc Moto Guzzi and a TW. I like the TW best. Makes me smile.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have a 2008 KLR, 2003 TW, and a 2005 BMW 1200S. Respectively the horse power is (+/- a bit for each bike) the TW is 16 HP, KLR 37-40 HP, and the K1200S has 168-170 insane HP. Ninja 250's put out about 30 HP and newer 300 Ninjas around 40 HP. Whoopty doo! Neither are powerful barn burners. I don't care who is riding it.

All three I currently own and have for awhile are great bikes but entirely different animals. KLR's will hang easily with Ninja 250's and 300's all day long. Last summer I waxed some guys ass on one while I was on my KLR. He saw ugly dirt bike as we sat at the red light and I saw sport bike wanna be. The KLR is a 650 so the extra cc's (as in 400 to 350 cc's) make a difference. I also hang with bigger bikes on the KLR within reason of course. TW >> Not happening. I ride the TW when I want to cruise slower and / or want to ride alone mainly but I will ride the other two alone also.

KLR's are too damn big for any real trail riding period unless you plan on spending half your time picking the heavy mule up. Saying is: They are good at many things and great at none. They are good for bigger trails and some dual sport adventure riding for sure but forget them on single tracks or tight woods riding, or anything very technical, rough, or difficult, etc; Also forget them for non-stop high speed freeway commuters. Now they are comfy at anything below 70 MPH and even 75 MPH on expressways but I wouldn't even do that every day regularly. It would get old fast. They will also cruise the hardballs at 85 but again, have fun with that and let me know how that works out for you. No sugar coating here.

Any higher powered sports bike will leave the KLR in the dust but in realistic twisty back roads riding the KLR can and will hang. A 250 or 300 Ninja will not walk all over a KLR by any means. Probably slightly quicker but not much. The newer 300 Ninjas even will not walk away from a KLR. I think the KLR's top speed maxed out is 100 MPH or a little above. The 250 Ninja's is about the same MPH top speed give or take an MPH or two. They might look fast but they are slow ass slugs lacking power JUST LIKE the TW's and KLR's. Get into the 600's and then you are into some fast bikes. Ninja 250's and the like are nothing more than peppy mopeds with Tupper Ware suits attached. Very similar to total horse power and top speed of a KLR but keep in mind the single is a 650 cc.

I ride my KLR a lot when I don't feel like dealing with the K1200S' raw power all day. It can be a serious work out. I ride with guys that ride FZ1's, Ducati, and many other big powerful bikes and keep up with them on twisty roads. The bigger bikes can and will absolutely leave a KLR throttling out of a corner but they also have to slow down for the next curve. You can keep up with the pace but on the KLR you have to work it. The KLRs will do freeways but it is not the best bike to do them on. In my opinion freeways and such isn't riding anyway. A KLR busting down the hardball at 85 MPH for many miles is not a picnic. Yes they will do it, but they really don't like it much. The TW's and anything 55-60 MPH and up is ill advised. Just not what they are for. Taking a TW on a freeway or expressway is a suicide mission. Highly not recommended.

So really it boils down to what type of riding you want to do mostly. How tall are you by the way? KLR's have very high seat heights. That isn't much fun either for me since I am 5' - 8". I manage pretty easily, but they are not the best height wise for riders that are not seasoned well if you are short. As someone mentioned above IF I could only have one bike and it was a choice between a TW and a KLR ((very tough choice)) personally I would likely pick the KLR and ONLY because it is more road capable, 450 more cc's, and it also is a lot of fun to ride. My KLR is probably my all time most favorite all around bike I've owned and I've had many, many bikes of all makes, shapes, and sizes. Myself I will never part with either my TW nor KLR. IMHO they are two bikes every rider should own. I'd sell my BMW before either of them but it isn't going anywhere either.

KLR's are fun bikes for many reasons but can not be fairly compared to a TW. Another cult bike just as the TW is but for different reasons. If your buddies don't ride like 18 year olds you can ride with them on your TW too. Expressways = Nope! Back roads rolling all day at 45-55 MPH occasionally gassing up to 60 plus, hell yes. Never mind on the 60 MPH plus part.... Granted your buddies will be quicker but you could ride along well enough on secondary roads, back roads, and roll thru some twisty's. If they want to run 60 MPH all day forget it on the TW. Just shooting it straight.

Tough choice, being the $500 bucks and TW trade in for a new bike. Can you clarify the deal? What year and how many miles is your TW and same for the KLR? Seems weird or a very good deal. Is the KLR used or new? KLR's usually sell for $6,400 to $7 grand now new and the TW's are $4,400 to say $4,800 if I am thinking correctly. Used on both bikes can be all over the board but both the TW's and KLR's seem to hold a decent value if they are worth having. Usually it is hard to find either bike under $2,000 used (always exceptions) that runs and you can actually ride. Even older ones seem to get a decent price if they are in working order.

If I am reading correctly with what you are saying I wouldn't think twice about trading a used TW for a new?? KLR. You are talking about a bike worth $2,000 more on new purchase prices. So a used TW and $500 bucks is a great deal for a new KLR. Just say'in! You could always shop for another used TW but you will miss that lil' goat.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Dan, I re-read your post. I now think you are only taking a $500 hit trading in the TW. Still a good deal. Used anything on trade ins you usually take a beating. $500 is not bad or you have likely had at least $500 bucks worth of fun on it or use. They are very different bikes as mentioned by many but a KLR will reasonably hang all day at 60 plus which is impossible for the TW. Kinda like a tricycle keeping up with a mountain bike kinda deal.

A KLR will hang with those 250's. I guarantee that. Like I said, If they want to ride like 18 year old asshats you haven't a chance with the TW. KLR, yes and possibly without any problem at all. I have a better idea. Talk them into TW's or KLR's. OR just get a 600 plus sport bike and put the shoe on the other foot so to speak. Then they will be on the tricycles.

Is your TW paid off? Or is the dealer willing to give you pay off minus $500 on trade in whereas you are only losing $500 and then planning on buying a new KLR. Either way sounds like a decent deal IF a KLR is what you want. Given your stated weight and trying to hang with your buddies a KLR will do a much better job than a TW on those Tupper Ware suit wearing boys. Then you can ask your buddies if they would like to tool around the farm on theirs. The TW bike is the poster child for a farm bike. KLR's would work there too but not as much fun off road.

Talk the dealer into a test ride and go from there. KLR's are set up more so for road riding. Tw's are more suited for trails and off road in a nut shell. Both dual sports but very, very different.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I think just to save myself the headache I am going to pass on doing anything ATM. I will keep the TW learn to ride on the street and then if I enjoy the street riding aspect I will get a more street oriented machine next year used. I am new to riding on the road this is my first bike that is ever street legal and it has been over 25 years since I owned my last bike Honda CL 100, which never saw pavement. The main reason I went with the TW over the KLR to begin with was the fear of being stuck with a big heavy bike if I did not like riding on the street. I had studied up on the KLR for years watched every you tube video I was planning on getting the KLR but ended up with a TW trying to take the safe road back into motorcycling. I have to admit I do have buyers remorse a little just because I was dead set for years on getting a KLR. I hope this little bike teaches me BIG lessons in riding on the road I hope it keeps me safe with it's big tires we have HUGE potholes around here I feel bad for the guys on rockets. Anyway my life story eh?

The deal was I trade in my TW back to the dealer I bought it from in Feb of this year. They give me all my $ back minus $800.00 neg equity. Then I purchase a new but left over 15 KLR 650 for $300.00 under MSRP out the door with tax and tags meaning I refinance $6799.00 Instead of the 5k loan I have now for my TW. In all honesty it is a good price on a new KLR even with my neg rolled in because no one sells out the door at MSRP anyway. A 6500 bike will cost over 7K with tax tags and dealer fees. I am just going to pass take my TW out with my friends we plan to keep to roads no faster than 55mph. No interstate I am sure they will power pull me for fun I do not mind they are cool guys they will not just roll out on me, because if they do I will whoop them Ninja 250's with my Ford Fiesta ST lol. Seriously though We are all Class A and B CDL holders and cannot afford points on our licenses our employer would not look highly upon that.

·
Super Moderator
17,968 Posts
I think just to save myself the headache I am going to pass on doing anything ATM. I will keep the TW learn to ride on the street and then if I enjoy the street riding aspect I will get a more street oriented machine next year used. I am new to riding on the road this is my first bike that is ever street legal and it has been over 25 years since I owned my last bike Honda CL 100, which never saw pavement. The main reason I went with the TW over the KLR to begin with was the fear of being stuck with a big heavy bike if I did not like riding on the street. I had studied up on the KLR for years watched every you tube video I was planning on getting the KLR but ended up with a TW trying to take the safe road back into motorcycling. I have to admit I do have buyers remorse a little just because I was dead set for years on getting a KLR. I hope this little bike teaches me BIG lessons in riding on the road I hope it keeps me safe with it's big tires we have HUGE potholes around here I feel bad for the guys on rockets. Anyway my life story eh?

The deal was I trade in my TW back to the dealer I bought it from in Feb of this year. They give me all my $ back minus $800.00 neg equity. Then I purchase a new but left over 15 KLR 650 for $300.00 under MSRP out the door with tax and tags meaning I refinance $6799.00 Instead of the 5k loan I have now for my TW. In all honesty it is a good price on a new KLR even with my neg rolled in because no one sells out the door at MSRP anyway. A 6500 bike will cost over 7K with tax tags and dealer fees. I am just going to pass take my TW out with my friends we plan to keep to roads no faster than 55mph. No interstate I am sure they will power pull me for fun I do not mind they are cool guys they will not just roll out on me, because if they do I will whoop them Ninja 250's with my Ford Fiesta ST lol. Seriously though We are all Class A and B CDL holders and cannot afford points on our licenses our employer would not look highly upon that.
Very wise choices; so far... ;)

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
My stupid motorcycle work buddies want to go on all day rides and currently I hesitate to ride with them because I feel with my fat ass 300 lb body my TW will stand no chance of keeping up with that pack of A holes on their Ninja 250's I have had my bike since Feb this year and just recently IMO it has started to get nice enough to get it out. I have to get my permit so I can learn by riding with these guys Just wondering If I would have more "fun" riding with street bikes on the bigger KLR. I really have no experience riding on the street this TW is my first bike in over 25 years

Since you have never rode on the street you need to ride by yourself for awhile. Riding with seasoned guys on Ninjas will get you in trouble quick. They will cause you to make fast decisions and as a newbe could get you killed. Be careful and ride your ride.
Rick

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
My stupid motorcycle work buddies want to go on all day rides and currently I hesitate to ride with them because I feel with my fat ass 300 lb body my TW will stand no chance of keeping up with that pack of A holes on their Ninja 250's I have had my bike since Feb this year and just recently IMO it has started to get nice enough to get it out. I have to get my permit so I can learn by riding with these guys Just wondering If I would have more "fun" riding with street bikes on the bigger KLR. I really have no experience riding on the street this TW is my first bike in over 25 years

Since you have never rode on the street you need to ride by yourself for awhile. Riding with seasoned guys on Ninjas will get you in trouble quick. They will cause you to make fast decisions and as a newbe could get you killed. Be careful and ride your ride.
Rick
Thanks for the tip. There are 2 guys I am riding with. One is a seasoned rider and has a 600SS CBR, the other guy has a Ninja 250 he just bought 2 weeks ago and it is his first bike ever minus his moped he had as a teen. The 3rd guy is brand new as well but will not be getting his Ninja 300 out of "layaway", from the dealer till about mid July he is also brand new rider. We got our Permits to ride and in Mi you have to ride with a endorsed rider in the group and that is the guy on the 600 CBR. We are practicing with him until we feel confident to go take the skills test that will get us our endorsements so we can ride alone if we choose. I just think it will be more fun to be together and if one of us goes down help is right there. All I can say is at least all of us new riders with permits have had some 2 wheel experience in the past be it dirt bikes or mopeds or 70's trail bikes. Thankfully the most experienced rider understands the group is only as fast as the slowest guy in it. Besides I am going to lead they can follow me, or at least that was one of the questions on the permit test who takes lead? The most crappy newb rider that's who.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts