TW200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Title 42
Hi I bought a 2010 Honda Civic in Oklahoma just over a year ago with cash. I live in Oklahoma. I went to get a title and realized that it has a check mark on title stating a discrepancy with mileage. I bought it with 146K miles this is what’s listed on the odometer, but actual title says it’s got a discrepancy and lists mileage at 230k. I’m not sure what to do bc when I took car to get tagged we realized the issue only after she had me write on the title the mileage that I thought it was of 146k (before she noticed the discrepancy). I then took the car to tag agency again after getting previous dealer to sign a mileage disclosure but the tag agency didn’t care. And tried to charge me $700 for late fees and title registration fees. I am stuck bc I don’t have $700 - and it’s a big question mark on how the mileage issue will turn out. Beyond this I am just trying to figure out what’s my best plan of action, should I try to title 42 the car or is there a better alternative? I do have a bill of sale, there is a slim chance I can get previous owner (dealer) to help but I prefer to not involve him if I can. I am trying to figure out my options to keep mileage listed at 146k as well as try and avoid these crazy fees. But most importantly I need get car tagged without paying extra fees. Thank you and appreciate any and all of your help ahead of time.

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
Maybe register it in Vermont? They do out of state motorcycles.......maybe cars too.

Years ago I heard Alabama was registering out of state cars. I don't know if they still do that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe register it in Vermont? They do out of state motorcycles.......maybe cars too.

Years ago I heard Alabama was registering out of state cars. I don't know if they still do that.
I just checked into this and I don’t think I can get a car actually registered in any of the states until after I have proof of residency sadly. Thank you though

·
Registered
8,353 Posts
Your profile does not list where you live but you bought the car a year ago for cash in Oklahoma from a dealer if I have this correct. Mileage discrepancies usually happen because upon annual inspections the mileage is recorded but anyone can change out the speedometer/odometer and some can be turned back. This is as illegal as things come and if a dealer is involved who failed to inform you of this issue then that dealer is the responsible culprit. In most states there is a place on the title that says the mileage listed is either accurate or not before it gets signed by the selling dealer. If the car has an additional 85,000 miles on it then you are entitled to a massive refund IMO. Here in NY the dealer would be getting the car back and issuing a full refund while the state goes after him in earnest. At inspection each year the certified station plugs into the vehicle's OBD so all the info goes directly to the state system.
On motorcycles such as our TWs it is simple to either disconnect the speedo cable or even buy a used or new head unit But on vehicles like cars and trucks the head unit has to come from a wreck to be swapped in but the previous records will remain in the state system if anyone cares to look.

GaryL

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your profile does not list where you live but you bought the car a year ago for cash in Oklahoma from a dealer if I have this correct. Mileage discrepancies usually happen because upon annual inspections the mileage is recorded but anyone can change out the speedometer/odometer and some can be turned back. This is as illegal as things come and if a dealer is involved who failed to inform you of this issue then that dealer is the responsible culprit. In most states there is a place on the title that says the mileage listed is either accurate or not before it gets signed by the selling dealer. If the car has an additional 85,000 miles on it then you are entitled to a massive refund IMO. Here in NY the dealer would be getting the car back and issuing a full refund while the state goes after him in earnest. At inspection each year the certified station plugs into the vehicle's OBD so all the info goes directly to the state system.
On motorcycles such as our TWs it is simple to either disconnect the speedo cable or even buy a used or new head unit But on vehicles like cars and trucks the head unit has to come from a wreck to be swapped in but the previous records will remain in the state system if anyone cares to look.

GaryL
Thank you for info,yes I’m in Oklahoma, but I still don’t see any advise on how to fix this issue. Likely there is not any legal recourse bc I bought the car and I overlooked the mileage discrepancy. And I bought it As-Is, and they check marked there was a mileage discrepancy I just didn’t know, so there likely isn’t any way to go back on them. Regardless of why or how the mileage issue occurred I need a way to get my car tagged with my current circumstances that won’t cost me an arm and a leg. At least that is what I’m hoping for. Thank you for the reply.

·
Registered
8,353 Posts
Sorry that I can't help any further than I tried. I don't know the laws/rules in OK. Here in NY we have lots of shady dealers who pull lots of shady deals and the state tries hard to bust them at this garbage through the annual inspections and mileage reporting. I did own a real sweet Honda CRX SI and put 180K on it. Actually it ran better with tons of miles when I sold it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts