TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 TW200, only 2000 km on it. I've had it for a few years and it's always been reliable but now when I turn on the key, the neutral light comes on, headlight, horn works but when I push the start button and nothing happens. I just put a new batter in,the two fuses are fine. There is no kick started only electric start. I've tried with the kick stand down/up. Clutch in/out but nothing. I've been checking the posts here but haven't seen this particular issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks Brian

·
Registered
362 Posts
Check your battery connections. If that's good, check the battery - Sometimes new batteries are just no good. Install jumpers from another battery and see if it changes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks imlost, yes I have tried jumping from another battery as well, I have checked power to the one fuse that runs the lights and it is getting to it. Traded fuses and no change too.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Make sure your battery terminals are making good connection. Clean & reinstall, if you haven't already. Check your start switch to make sure it's not oxidized and not making connection.

·
Registered
466 Posts
If your indicator lights and horn are working, I would start by investigating the kickstand switch further... look for function, damage, exposed wires... I know we've had some forum members that have had them go bad.

next I'd move onto checking/testing the kill switch and start button circuit. It'll be a little time consuming but I like ruling out controls and sensors before I get into the meat and potatoes of stuff like coils and CDI.

Im assuming you took a close look at your fuses? I know it took three checks before I spotted the blown fuse on my bike.

Also, when you change gears, or use turn signals, are those lights operating normal? If not, you might have to chase down some electrical gremlins.

That should get you started ruling stuff out.

if you need, super cheap kill switch/start button controls are on amazon and eBay for a few sheckles if you need something to test with.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
This has happened to mine before. Also a 2004. Took apart and cleaned the Run/Stop switch. Problem gone.

·
Registered
20,169 Posts
Those safety interlocks can be quickly defeated for testing purposes with a simple jumper across their connector terminals if that helps in your diagnostics.
For example if a jumper wire connecting the two terminals on the sidestand switch's connector does not resolve the no starter issue then you can move on since you have demonstrated issue is not the sidestand switch.
Same logic can be applied elsewhere before having to initially take a lot of stuff apart. A multimeter can sure save a lot of disassembly. An ohm reading from one side of battery terminal to the post it is attached to would be a quick and easy confirmation of good terminal connections to the new battery.
I like to diagnose first then repair. Later I can go back and do the non-related maintenance items observed but skipped until main problem is fixed.
If you do feel urge to disassemble remove terminal from starter motor and see if your multi-meter indicates voltage arriving when you try to start. If so then it is easy to then pull the starter motor and bench test it... it is a torquey monster so clamping it down before feeding 12 volts is recommended.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Super, thanks for all the advise, guess I was hoping for a "hey its this"! lol . I will start jumping safety switches, on that note can you just cut and marrette the two wires together to defeat the switch? Then will move on to the rest of it. I will let you all know what I find out, sure glad we have things like this now, I'm 65 and in the OLD days we only had mouth to mouth.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOL that would really be embarrassing but yes i have checked that, prolly 6 times to to be sure. I do appreciate the input tho !

·
Registered
20,169 Posts
I should have explained that the jumper wire idea does not entail cutting and joining wires. Disconnecting connector and temporarily installing jumper wire between terminals feeding the switch being tested accomplishes same task of removing questionable switch or circuit from the equation.
This approach helped me get going again one night high in the mtns laying in the dirt on a fairly steep single track section far from comforts of home or cell service....a testimonial to always have some form of flashlight,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Fred, I appreciate that. I always try to go well prepared as well. I was just referring actually bypassing the safety switch all together by cutting and joining the two ends. Like the kick stand safety switch , for instance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks again to all who posted help. It lives again !! Cleaned the start/kill switch, unplugged all connections and cleaned them up, applied dielectric grease to them all. Checked to ohms on safety switches. Turned the key on, hit start and it cranked over. Took out the plug, hooked it up and placed on the motor, cranked it again and there was spark. Took the carb off, dismantled and sprayed out with carb cleaner. Put it back on and by cracky it starts up and runs. So happy.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Thanks again to all who posted help. It lives again !! Cleaned the start/kill switch, unplugged all connections and cleaned them up, applied dielectric grease to them all. Checked to ohms on safety switches. Turned the key on, hit start and it cranked over. Took out the plug, hooked it up and placed on the motor, cranked it again and there was spark. Took the carb off, dismantled and sprayed out with carb cleaner. Put it back on and by cracky it starts up and runs. So happy.
Outstanding, glad to hear you got er up and running!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts