TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back when I was in college (mid-70's for you kids), I bought my first motorcycle, used from a roommate, a 1966 Honda 160 "Dream". It wasn't nearly as nice as the bike pictured below, but of course did have the general look of this one. Sure wish I'd been smarter and taken better care of it. It was a bit of an oil burner and I took it on a ride one day (I was living in Eureka, CA at the time) with no money in my pocket (typical college student). When she ran really low on oil and started to get hot I figured I could still make it home. When I shut her down she never started again. When I finished school I just left it in the garage of a friend and told him he could keep it.

A few years later I bought a little Suzuki TC90. Though only 90ccs, a little lever on the transmission would allow you to switch it from street to trail gearing. I always wondered why we've not seen that on modern bikes as it was a really good feature!

What were some of your "first loves?"

·
Registered
63 Posts
My first bike. 1989 XT350 Bought about 2 years ago. Drove way too far and paid too much for it. This "great shape, great running" bike had a busted clutch lever, leaked oil and fork fluid. Had a non functional brake light or rear signals. The guy must have spent all morning warming it up and pouring starting fluid in it to make it run for me. I was never able to get it started after that without herniating myself and my legs numb from kicking it. So not knowing any better I paid what he was asking and took it home and put it in the garage. Didn't ride it more than 2 or 3 times. Flash forward to this spring and an ad on CL for a TW. I talked to the guy and asked if he wanted to trade. He did. I fixed the XT (spending more money on an already expensive lesson) and made the trade. The rest is happy history.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
305 Honda scrambler bought used for the princely sum of 175 1970 dollars.

A hundred miles later I got my first hard lesson in motorcycle maintenence. No one mentioned lubing chains, so on I-5, 100 miles from home my chain started rotating around a now-completely-toothless sprocket. Wore it down to a perfect disk. lol. I got lucky.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Not to pop your bubble but that model of Dream was a 150. The 160 was a later model and a sort of mini Hawk and miniscrambler models.

The 150was a tough little commuter and college bike. The later 160s were considerably more powerful. and even developed into a special racing class

that may still be in existence for owners of those old classics.

Phelonius

BTW I have also owned two of the 185 Suzuki dual purpose bikes with hi low range transmissions.

They were capable of many things other bikes of their size could not do

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
BTW I have also owned two of the 185 Suzuki dual purpose bikes with hi low range transmissions.

They were capable of many things other bikes of their size could not do

What the heck were the TW-ish 2 stroke Zukes called? Can't 'member.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
First motorbike was a trashed minibike with working forks and a swingarm to which the engine mounted. 3hp Techumseh. Puled the heap off a trashpile and rebuilt it, then road the heck out of it for nearly 5 years.

First real motorcycle was a SL100. It was a 1970 model, but I bought it used in September of '69.

·
Registered
522 Posts
The first bike I owned, apart from scooters, was a TW125, but the first one I rode was my father's glorious RD350. It looked like this one:

Not exactly my type of bike. I managed to drop it and break the clutch lever twice

·
Registered
404 Posts
Cool thread!

My first bike was a Puch Condor III (Suzuki 50cc 2 stroke engine) back in Spain in 1988.

I end up retrofitting a 74cc engine on it. I added a Kit Yashuni exhaust, changed the sprokets, tires, etc. I even added a small battery to have a break light. I had to add quite a bit of oil with the gas to keep the engine from seizing. With the 74cc engine it reached speeds in excess of 70mph... quite insane for such a weak frame. It was very light, so I had to add lead shot inside the tubular frame.

A few interesting facts about the bike, it had a front disc break and center stand, no battery or instrument cluster at all and had two chains, one that could be use from the passenger pegs like a bicycle. It was the law back in the day for <50cc motorcycles.

I have had several bikes since then, but I had the best times with that little motorcycle. I also broke my collar bone trying to jump with it... the suspension was worthless.

I think part of my desire to get a TW200 was because of the memories from that bike.

·
Registered
203 Posts
My first bike, an Italjet 50cc.

A bitch to start and the vibrations gave me diarrhea.

I cried when we sold it.

·
Registered
404 Posts
My first bike, an Italjet 50cc.

A bitch to start and the vibrations gave me diarrhea.

I cried when we sold it.

That's such a great picture!

I wish I had one. I still cannot figure out how I managed to never get a pix of me on my first bike.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Honda 70, purchased from a friend in about 1972, I rode it,for a couple of years, mostly on mining roads around Fairbanks and then put it into a shed, covered it and mostly forgot about it as I went on to bigger and better toys. About two years ago my son-in-law uncovered it, changed the fluids and it ran just fine. Its now waiting for our two grand kids to get a little older. Pretty nimble and capable little ride actually

·
Registered
7,369 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
My first bike was a '92 CBR600 F2, and it was a hell of a ride... my roommate at the time totalled it a couple of years after I bought it, then I rebuilt it in my garage until it was some sort of streetfighter/cafe piece with a home-job checkered-stripe paint job... then I sold it to a guy who yanked the motor to throw some batteries in the chassis as an electric bike!

·
Registered
355 Posts
First motorcycle for me was a used 1968 Honda CT90 that my dad bought.

The first bike I bought was a used 1975 or 1976 Yamaha DT175, can't remember.

I wish I had the DT175 today. It was a fun little bike.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
First bikes:

Built a minibike with B&S lawnmower engine.

Maico 250 cc.

Honda Cub.

This is the first one I have a picture of:

Harley Davidson Sprint 250cc (made by Aeromacchi)

Me, circa 1968:

jb

·
Registered
335 Posts
My first bike was a 1972 Honda CL175, which I bought used in 1973 with only 500 miles on it. I rode it to Kansas City, MO from St.Paul, MN in one day (before the freeway days and the national 55 MPH speed limit). I missed that bike so much, I bought a used Honda Rebel 250 last spring. I have three bikes in the barn, Honda Rebel and Silverwing scooter along with the beloved TW 200 which is the most fun bike that I ever owned.

·
Registered
32 Posts
1972 cb450 DOHC twin like this

A few years later I traded it in for a mid 80's cb400 twin I never really cared for.

In 1994 I bought the 1976 cb550f SuperSport who has been my love and pain ever since until I got the tw200 so that I both ride this winter and finish the cb550 mods.

It looks a bit like this at the moment.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts