TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Noticed a common theme when looking at used TWs

12K views 52 replies 38 participants last post by  FIRE UP 
#1 ·
I know this might not be the place to ask this question because you all love your T-dubs. I really want one after reading about your folk's stories. I have one nagging thing though that keeps showing up: why so many T-dubs on the used market with less than 500 miles?

I'm amazed to see so many with even under 200 miles and the bikes are 10 years old. Do people buy them with false expectations? Is there something about the T-dubs that really turn people off once they get it? Do they not do well on the streets so people just don't ride them? I've never seen another model that gets so little use. This makes me wonder if I would be another statistic?

I have had many bikes that I have truly loved. My BMW R1100RL, R60/5, Honda XLR250R Baja, and ATC185S are all bikes I love/loved. A few years back I sold my XR650L solely because it was too heavy, too tall, sucked in Michigan sand. I also wanted to do more long road trips. I think the Tdub would not be too heavy, nor too tall, and would do better in sand than the front heavy XR650L. I'll keep the BMW for long road trips but a Tdub would be fun for just farting around locally and off road.

Back to my question, why do you think there are so many used T-dubs with ridiculously low miles?

Jay Dub

See less See more
#2 ·
I think they are often bought by beginner riders to start out on then they soon move on to something bigger or lose interest in riding,They are great little bikes for trails and backroads, not the best for freeway use. The bike is outdated technology wise but is still a lot of fun. If you buy it to do some backroad/trail exploring, I think you'll be happy with it. If you buy used and decide it's not for you, it should be easy to sell and get your money back.

#3 ·
So many of them had low miles due to the fact that they were used as accessory bikes with RV's traveling and camping. They would get a little use in campgrounds and poking around and not a whole lot more. But as you know, they are good for a whole lot more than that!

#4 ·
A few people buy them for the way they look — then find out they can’t turn a two-valve thumper into a racing bike. Others need them for maybe just the one season, then stick them in the barn. Some just treat them as “toys”.

Some “use” them for what they’re best at — these are the guys who rack up the miles ……….

Don’t get me wrong — if you’ve got the dollars — you can do what you like with them.

I think there’s a middle ground here as well — people with a lot of bikes (like yourself), who want to have a TW for its capabilities, rather than an “everyday” ride.

Lives change — a lot of people start out with the best intentions, then go in a different direction …….

#5 · (Edited)
Some of us are just "Old" when we buy them, and then die or go blind at our advanced ages, and can't rack up miles on the TW....{insert Sarcasm icon};)

Seriously though....I've had my 2014 purchased new since late March of 2014...and I've just passed the 1000 mile mark on it...why? Because I'm seldom into pavement riding these days, and there just isn't much gravel around here....me and Montezuma Nick{whose 2015 now has 300 miles on it} plan on a couple of rides this summer to add some mainly off road miles....but frankly, I don't ever think I will put 10,000 on mine, even if I stay active and healthy....not that I don't love it, but not being 25 anymore, I don't feel the need to jump on the TW every chance I get....even the 8 days riding in Moab, I only put 300 or so miles on mine....and was perfectly happy with that.

If you buy a TW for commute, IMO there are better options, if you buy it for nothing but hard core off road reasons, IMO there are better options...if you purchase one to ride around town, back country paved and non-paved roads, and trail riding....you will be hard pressed to find a better bike for the fun and money. :)

#40 ·
I really can't believe I penned this over 6 years ago... 🙀 but I still believe the stuff I wrote. However with 7800 miles on Ol' Blue, Ten Thousand isn't out of the realm of getting done, if I ride another 2 or 3 years...:unsure:😎

#6 ·
I like this question. I'm not an expert on human behavior by any means, but I'll take a stab at what could be some of the many reasons "Low mile TW's" frequently end up on the market.

Theory 1. Preferences. Some of the TW's are acquired / purchased by folks with more than one type of bike & ridding experiences. At first they enjoy / think they enjoy the concept of what is (arguably) undoubtedly the best all around trail bike ever produced. Now here is where it becomes a bit more complicated... A: The feeling the bike does not live up to "Their" expectations. Such as "It's under-powered" or "It does not ride like my motocross bike". This is true. Quickly stated, the TW is a trail bike, adaptable to fulfill all the variable rolls of such. Nuf said.
B: "I was hoping to have more time to use it / enjoy the TW. Sad but true, due to busy lives, changes in life styles (almost never of ones choice), and health issues, many of the TW's end up in the barn or garage to sit...
C: I already have more bikes than I can ride / use! Although most likely the rarest of all reasons, it does occur. The bike comes their way from a relative or friend, and the bike sits un-used again for many reasons.

As stated the TW is (arguably) undoubtedly the best all around trail bike ever produced, and can be modified to suit many different needs, roles, & tastes, or used stock! For those people who enjoy the trail riding experience, this bike is an excellent choice.

When a low mile 10 year old TW presents its self, it may be a golden opportunity. :cool: m.

#7 ·
All good answers, and I'll add a few of my own: 1) many t'dubs come second hand from motorcycle safety schools or state patrol n such agencies that use it to teach new riders. Mine was one if these. These bikes rack up very little mileage through cones. 2) Other agencies such as wildlife, parks, sheriffs, etc. get these new and put them out second hand with low miles. 3) Some guys buy these for hunting season, and only use them then. Here in WA they are perfect for that as you need to be plated to run on FS roads, but can still be awesome on the trails to get firewood, scout, and pack out your game. Well that is my 2 cents worth.

#9 ·
I picked mine up from a nice older lady who had been "pressured" into riding, and decided that she didn't like it. She put one tank of gas through it, 62 miles. It sputtered and died when I started it at her place. I bought it on the spot, and for a good price. In Fairbanks our riding season is short, and sometimes things come up in the summer, and riding is cut short. I bought mine in 2011 - it's a 2009. I have just under 2000 miles on it. I have had zero problems with it that weren't of my own doing. I will never sell it. If you find one with low miles for a good price, pick it up and don't worry about it. If you don't like it, just turn around and sell it for what you paid for it.

#10 ·
Thing about these bikes since 2000 they are pretty much unchanged. I could give a rip about year, as long as it is after 1990 with a good cdi and has low miles and is not rusted up, it has a lot of miles to go. The difference in my 03 and 09 is a different front fender color so big deal, they ride the same and are basically identical.

As far as mileage, From 03 when it was new till about 13 it hardly had a thousand mi put on it. Was working away from home and it sat. After an oil change and retirement it gets out and the dust knocked off. With a recent carb cleaning, a kick starter and handguards installed it is right up there with a 2015 and then some.

#11 ·
You can ride a TW all day long plunking around in the woods and not do more than 20 miles but get a good work out. Mine took me to hard to get to spots along the river where I liked to fish but the trip was less than a few miles. I will always believe instead of naming it the Trail Way they should have named it the Trail Mule! You will have a very hard time finding a bike that is great for rural roads and perfect for those off road adventures when you see a nice old coach path or logging road.

Ditto on the above comment about these bikes being virtually unchanged since their introduction. From 2001 to the present not much has changed at all so weather the bike is 2001 or a 2015 is inconsequential. From 1988 right through 2000 they too are all the same. The 1987 model had a different CDI system that could be problematic. Many, many parts from a 1987 still are a perfect fit on the 2015 models. Kind of like Yamaha changes their dresses but they never gain any weight or lose their shape.

GaryL

#13 ·
Got mine from a college student who needed the cash. He only ever used it when he was home visiting his folks so a pristine '01 model basically fell into my lap with only a couple hundred miles on the clock.

It's perfect for what I want to do - explore and go fishing. It's just fast enough for the street sections and is more than capable of going down woodland tracks and unkept dirt roads to get to the stream.
'No Winter Maintenance' means no summer maintenance either from what shape the roadway is usually in.

#14 ·
Welcome fellow Wolverine. I see you sold your 650 for the same reason I sold my XR400. Just too damn heavy and tall. Still have a CRF450 and an antique 1975 CR250, last of the 2 stroke air heads, plus my Kaw Z 900. That bike still makes people go "What the hell????", from a seventies vintage bike.

The TW200, it ain't fast but does go pretty good through the woods and single track. It needs some help with a different tire in order to feel good through the sand. I'm looking at a Pirelli MT 21 in 140/80 18 for a front tire. Slow and controlled though the woods out back is fun.

Reactions: Hoot Gibson
#17 ·
This is good stuff. It just seemed so strange to see so many come up for sale (usually a long ways from where I live) that have so few miles. It has just made me wonder why so few miles. It makes sense for some of the reasons mentioned. I wonder if the high mile ones are people that won't give them up so they never go for sale? I've never seen a model that so often is for sale with so few miles.

When one comes up for sale in my area with low miles (1990-2000 model) and not too expensive, I'll be all over it.

#18 ·
I happen to love the 1988-2000 TWs best. Don't need no front disc brake and would trade it in a heartbeat for a kick start. Like the TW can go so fast it needs a disc brake???? BUT, when it won't go because the battery is dead I sure do love that old fashioned kicker. I also highly prefer the old style carb over the new ones, just because I know them better and they work just as well. Keep in mind that all upgrades/updates are often just more money for not much of an improvement.

GaryL

#19 ·
I have wondered this question also, I think that people either love to ride or just like to ride, my 87 when I got it only had 1232 miles put on it in 27 years, and the guy I got it from only sold it due to a divorce. He loved the bike but for some reason in the 10 years he owned it only put 150 miles on it:confused: He just never took the time to ride. I think it like people said they buy with good intentions to ride but never get around to it. But those of us who love to ride find the time....I have 4000 miles on the bike now in the year and a half I have had it:) and that is not my only bike either. I would really love to ride even more if I had the time but I make do with about 5000-6000 bike miles a year. Like most here mine will go in the grave with me, all my other bikes can go but the tw is forever:D

#21 ·
I think the TW is like an exercise bike or treadmill people buy it thinking it will get used but it just collects dust.

Reactions: dette
#39 ·
This is true of many, many motorcycles. They get bought, by new riders (and a lot of enthusiastic n00bs will buy bigger bikes, and buy new) and then decide they don't like riding. Or they have a close call in traffic or drop it. And it goes up for sale for half its new price.

I saw a 1972 Suzuki 125 (don't know the model) at a shop somewhere some years ago - had 1100 miles on it. It had been garaged but nothing else was done to it - the muffler rusted right out.

On other boards they note a phenomenon - some of these machines have what they call "OEM gas." Never even ride it a whole tank's worth.

#22 ·
The TW is a great little bike, especially when used for that which it was intended. I think that many low mile used specimens are up for sale primarily do to misconceptions of expectations of their owners. The reasons are varied and was covered well in the previous posts in this thread. I just sold my 95 that had more than 17000 miles on it, and it ran like a top, if not a bit homely. ( but not before I had a replacement 01 ready to transfer the farkles to ) I put over 6000 miles on it in the 2 years that I owned it. ( and I was also riding two other bikes that I had on the road )

#23 ·
I am one of the bad boys. My 1991 had 673 miles the day I bought it. 2 years later I sold it all farkled up with lots of new parts and additions and it still had under 1,000 miles on it. I could ride it for a day and then it took three days for my hands to stop feeling numb or my lower back to stop hurting. That's not the bikes fault, just arthritis and age and other ailments plaguing me. I love to ride the trails but my body does not. Bucknutz will be the first to tell you, seems like every time he comes for a visit I need him to do some sort of heavy lifting.

GaryL

#24 ·
I got mine for a purpose, adventure riding. Ill probably only do that 2 or 3 times a year. I dont trailer bikes, I ride them so they will see some highway miles getting to the adventure areas :) I think thats the reason my TWs anyway will not accumulate a lot of miles............they just suck on the highway :) Some say they are looking for an extra gear when shifting...........Im looking for an extra 2 or 3 :) But Im ok with all that, I have a couple other bikes, my sporty for cruising and my KZ if Im feeling sporty :)

#26 ·
I bought my 2005 TW200 to learn how to ride off-highway on forest service roads and maybe dabble on some trails. I planned to upgrade to a 250/350 within a year or two of owning it.

That was 10 years ago!:D

#27 ·
This is an interesting thread. I think every response is true.

I myself know I got my TW to go poking around on forest roads because I think my Triumph is too heavy for me to do that while having fun doing it. My TW has really surprised me because unlike many on this site, I do regularly commute on mine and I have ridden it over mountain passes to get places that I thought I would need to haul it to enjoy. Granted, going over mountain passes on the highway is not the TW's strong suit but it is doable and well worth the effort to get me to forest roads on the other side.

As for another reason why some TW's may be found for sale with such low mileage. Recently, I have noticed many cruiser riders moving over to large adventure bikes, not having a clue how to ride off road. Okay, here's my theory and this is totally my own opinion based on what I have noticed. American/Cruiser mindset....buy the larges displacement motorcycle you can hold up. Now, watch lots of motorcycle videos and see people exploring and going places that a cruiser can't or shouldn't really go. Decide that you too want to go the long way around so you too must need a huge adventure bike even though the guys in the movies seemed like they were always struggling and picking those bikes up. Somehow, that gets lost on most when they are watching all those exciting movies. Now, with no off road riding skills at all, you own a huge expensive adventure bike that you realize you have no clue how to handle off road so you are mostly riding it on pavement. After picking the beast up a few times, you realize you may need a smaller displacement bike to learn a few skills on so you run down to the local Yamaha dealer and purchase a TW which seems cheap in comparison to all the farkles you just added to your huge adventure bike. Play around on the TW for a few hundred miles to learn some basic skills and find out if you really do like riding off road. If so, take those newly learned skills, hop on your adventure bike and go exploring or if you discovered off road riding isn't your cup of tea, hop on that adventure bike and ride it to your local coffee stand where everyone will admire all the farkles you have invested in as you ride up. Either way, you will most likely let the TW sit in the garage for a bit until you decide it is no longer needed. :p

#28 ·
I agree with everything mentioned above. For me it was somewhat of a cult bike impulse buy and I always thought they were cool little bikes. With that said, I do have other bikes in the garage also. It is nice for me, quicker, and easier to jump onto the TW for short runs or running errands and such. I live out in the country where many come from afar to ride the Scenic Byways and stuff. It's a bikers destination out here. I am already there as soon as I pass the mail box.

IMO the TW does lack in many ways but it makes up for those in many other ways. The bike definitely needs more power and a 6th gear. Period. Yesterday I was on two of my bikes. The TW and a BMW K1200S. Entirely different animals. Love them both. I also have a KLR 650. The KLR fits right in between the first two bikes mentioned. What I decide to ride largely depends on what I am doing and the mood I am in that day. Nice having an option. With you having other bikes I think you would enjoy the TW for what it is.

I also think that many buy them as a first "learning" bike and what not. Then I could see them moving onto bigger and better bikes or simply losing interest altogether. Many buy these thinking they will cover all of the bases of a street bike and trail bike. The TW is not good at either in all reality. A lot like the KLR it is fairly good at everything but great at nothing. I assume many buy them and move onto bigger and better bikes. There are many both on and off road.

The TW IS NOT a freeway bike at all. I never take mine onto an entrance ramp. People who do need their heads examined. The TW is a back roads easy roll bike and slow and easy off roader. It likes cruising anywhere from 35 - 55 MPH. Anything more is just too taxing on the lil' guy. I have had mine up to 70 - 72 MPH a few times. It was done at that speed and had no more at all. In fact it hates anything 60 MPH and above.

It is a fun bike for what it is but you need to realize what it is. I think many are sold with low miles because people get bored with them because they are limited in many ways. I doubt I ever sell mine. It's too much fun for what it is. The TW is a novelty item that is a pleasure to ride as long as you are not into a hurry. As stated many time I jump on it just because it is so easy to ride and requires minimal effort to do so. It is a good slackers bike. Not a workout to ride. It'll bring out the child in ya!

Reactions: 66roadkill66
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.