TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got home last night and realized I was missing like 7 spokes and a bunch were loose. The local shop quoted right around $500 to respoke and true the wheel. The price sounded pretty absurd to me (trying another shop tomorrow).
Is it really that complicated? I feel like I'd be better off just hunting down an entire new wheel. Thoughts?
Aside from ebay are there sites you guys might recommend to buy a replacement?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I can understand it being an expensive job as it looks very time consuming. At least if you get it done or do it yourself you will have a good wheel for a long time. I seldom see value in used parts as often you are putting a part on that is a "little better" but might still have loose spokes and seized nipples.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I'd consider buying a new wheel and taking the time to repair the current one yourself. Then you have a seasonal/spare on hand and the skill to true your wheels.

Oh yeah...what were you doing to the poor bike to damage the wheel that badly? I'm not sure if I should be unimpressed/impressed....

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
"Oh yeah...what were you doing to the poor bike to damage the wheel that badly? "

I have had my rear wheel develop a bad wobble and on roadside inspection I thought my wheel bearings were loose but when I took the wheel off I realized all my spokes were very loose on my 32,000 km TW. I was lucky none of them broke and I was able to tighten them. I blame it on a complete lack of proper maintenance and just riding it every day like a damn hooligan.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the input peterb. I'll let you all know after I have a second shop (whom i've actually used before) have a look at it tomorrow morning.

"Oh yeah...what were you doing to the poor bike to damage the wheel that badly? "
They're tools, not Jewels! My Tdub and I have a very loving and consensual relationship.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Got home last night and realized I was missing like 7 spokes and a bunch were loose. The local shop quoted right around $500 to respoke and true the wheel. The price sounded pretty absurd to me (trying another shop tomorrow).
Is it really that complicated? I feel like I'd be better off just hunting down an entire new wheel. Thoughts?

What year is your bike? I have two drum break front wheels.

Anyway... how in the hell did you lose 7 spikes and not know it. Are you drinking again? :p.

Reactions: Trail Woman

·
Registered
1,495 Posts

Running washboard at 90 km/hr, gravel, water crossings and a couple really bad pot holes at way to much speed. Love my TW but I do run it hard.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts

Running washboard at 90 km/hr, gravel, water crossings and a couple really bad pot holes at way to much speed. Love my TW but I do run it hard.
I do that myself...but I don't weigh much, run off road tire pressure, stand to absorb impacts, and deweight the bike over washboards and potholes. It all seems to reduce the stresses of hard riding. I was imagining something a little rougher with much more weight involved. I rode bicycles with someone roughly the same weight with the same cheap model, just as fast over the same terrain and theirs fell apart in a few months because they weren't as careful. I don't mean to sound like I'm judging or preaching ...just sharing my experience and trying to understand the experience of others.

·
Super Moderator
1,920 Posts
Was this the front or rear? If the rear than it's time for a trailer wheel upgrade as you have to remove all your spokes anyway. Just a thought.

Reactions: grewen

·
Super Moderator
1,920 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Same as above questions. Front or rear. I've got a front drum wheel to give away. Also if you're close to yakima I could lend a hand. I respoked both of mine. I have nipple wrenches and torque wrenches.

Reactions: littletommy
1 - 12 of 12 Posts