TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been a lingering problem for about a month. I played around with various settings but I am unable to resolve.

If I click to see my notifications it starts to load and then hangs about 1/2 way through with the proper page but no data/notifications list.

Macbook Air, 10.12.2... OS Sierra.
Both Firefox and Safari browsers.

I am not sure if this all started happening when I upgraded my OS from Yosemite to Sierra.

All other functions work with the TW forum.

Not seeing any other websites/forums that are experiencing any issues..

Thanks for any help..

Jim

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Throw away your Apple iTool and buy a computer. Problem solved.
Hay, after working in the mainframe IBM computer world and electronics for over 50 years and not partial to Apple this MacBook Air has rocked!
I have MS machines around the house... 2 other laptops and 1 desktop... I prefer the Mac for mobility.

I do not have to pay a fortune for anti anti anything either unlike MS...

So I will test notifications on my MS laptops and see what gives....

Thanks so much for your sarcastic solution.

Jim

·
Registered
321 Posts
Cars low on the theft list are not better secured. They are less poplar and therefore their parts are worth less. No up and coming programmer is wasting their time writing a Trojan, worm or simple virus for 1% of the personal computer market. There are Mac OS virus' but you don't hear about them because so few get it. Like stolen Alfa Romeos.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
that alfa romeo splashed all over the super bowl was a pretty good looking car.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I'll take a Mac any day. I worked as MS programmer for 6 years and windows sucks.
Mac is based on UNIX not some Bill Gates bloated OS.
If you are going to run Linux, then go for a cheap Windows machine.
Just because the masses use something does not make it better. Remember Beta vs VHS?
At work I have a surface pro 3 - what a piece of junk; what was I thinking when I could have had an macbookair? I use my iPad mini more as it is stable.

I took my 8 year old iMac and returned it to snow leopard and it is faster than my new Mac mini.

Jtstdub try Opera as a web browser, if that does not work see if you can go back to the previous OS or the original OS the Mac came with.

·
Registered
13,330 Posts
Only mentioning this to help narrow down a cause. I have not experienced the same problem as the OP is having with notifications not loading.

Whether it sucks or not, the system I've been using is PC with MS in Chrome or IE Browsers, no problems opening or viewing in either browser. I am also not having notification problems viewing notifications on my iPhone either.

·
Super Moderator
4,851 Posts
Me neither – but with a woefully slow connection speed (25Kbs), sometimes the options don’t load first time round, so some problems are difficult to detect

Thanks for the input though Admiral – means the problem is likely to lead back to the OP rather than the site itself, though we try not to leave people stranded …..

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, today I saw that I had Notifications, did not go look at them. I fired up the Windows 10 Laptop and Notifications worked...

I will add this!!!!!!!

It did take quite a while to get notifications to load! 30 seconds or more!

While waiting for notifications the same message was displayed that displays when my MAC hangs!

"Connecting to optimize-by-rubicon projects.com".....

I will be reverting to the Yosemite OS in a day or so to check this as EJFRANZ has suggested.

Jim

·
Super Moderator
4,851 Posts
rubicon projects.com is an advertising plug in / cookie issue – you can see what they do here - Rubicon Project - Changing Advertising for Good

You may be experiencing delay issues if they are involved (no sign of them on W7), so I would suggest that your OS or browser has introduced them (for a fee)

Check your browser add-ons (most likely) – and run something like Malwarebytes as a precaution ……

·
Administrator
412 Posts
Hey there,

Did you ensure to clear your cache and cookies to see if it was the browser itself instead of the OS?

Still having an issue with it today?

Thanks,
- JB

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Purple for responding...
Have no extensions on Safari and only the bare necessity with Safari.

With my mac I can see all the various websites that are linked to any forum etc..... My MS W10 machines shows no ad links...But I do see delays sometimes.

I am surprised that someone with very slow internet can even use this forum and some others. There is so much BS being loaded and linked when opening a thread etc....
The big one is that RubiconProjects........ "Sending Request to fast lane.rubiconprojects.com and the other one I have provided.
Lots of hanging for more that 5-10+ seconds at times...

I have no issues currently with all of the other forums and websites I visit... And this is the only issue with this website.

Am waiting for some notifications so I can test Opera....

Jim

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey there,

Did you ensure to clear your cache and cookies to see if it was the browser itself instead of the OS?

Still having an issue with it today?

Thanks,
- JB
I normally do not clear Cookies and Cache every time I go to a website but do almost daily just because...

I will test Notifications with Opera, and prior, clearing the C and C's. If the problem persists I will revert back to Mac Yosemite... and see what happens.

Thanks for your attention.

Jim

·
Super Moderator
4,851 Posts
The problem usually starts with some web designer, with the fastest connection on the planet and the very latest piece of kit, designing things around what happens in his/hers little bubble

Meanwhile, us mere mortals on Intel dual core 2.4 processors (who struggle with low speeds) get left in the dust

Love to meet one of these guys out snowboarding one day – and shove them down a gravel slope ….. :cool:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
There is also a beta version of Opera - opera Neon that looks intriguing.
For a plain Jane web browser there is also sea monkey.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok I just did a complete Notifications with Opera.....

It did not just pop up... So I just let is sit and went away. About 2 min later... there was the notifications...

So I will retest with Safari etc... I have not just let it sit and churn before...

It is not related to my Internet speed... 12.5 Mbps is plenty fast...

Jim

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am running the same setup as you on a Macbook, no issues with Firefox. Are you running a 3rd party add blocker like uBlock Origin? Try that if your not. I would not go back to older versions of the OS.
No add blockers....

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, a bit of egg on my face. The notifications work... It takes about 2 min to work.... It did not take that long before but I will work on seeing what is the real culprit...
In the mean time I will let this thread lay dormant until I either discover what causes the delay or end up living with it

Thanks all,

Jim

1 - 20 of 29 Posts