TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
At the very least, a national law and coverage for the permit. Our Oregon permit is not recognized by most other states, so we have to get resident Oregon AND non resident Utah, Arizona, or Florida to cover more area. Resident Or and Utah covers most states I'm likely to travel to, California excepted. A CHL should be like a drivers license, good for your state, and recognized for travel to all other states.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Ohio Changed it's law last March 23rd while we were playing in the dirt in Moab....:D ... so it now recognizes and is recognized by all states except the usual dungheaps including Mexifornia, Oregon{sorry Byron},Illinois, New York, and much of New England and the Mid Atlantic...all far left states which despise the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, White Folks, and Christians, but just love Illegals and Islamic Terrorists...;) {only half kidding}

Meaning I could drive from Ohio to Moab and not be in violation{avoiding Illinois} and ride/drive south to Florida and be legal as well....

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
My stupid state wont recognize ay other permit other then Mass. For me the stated i spend the most time in are NH and Maine as my girlfriend is a southern Maine resident. NH as a non resident i can open carry or travel thru the state if my firearm is unloaded without a permit. Maine just passed constitutional concealed carry for all so i can carry there no problem. Vermont is the same as Maine. Glad to see other states coming around.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Actually Vermont is the only state that has always had constitutional carry.
When I travel, I always look at a handgun law map to plot my course. I have no problem with driving a couple hundred miles out of my way to avoid a state that I can't legally carry in. I don't mind too much if they don't honor my governmental permission slip, as long as they do at least allow car carry and open carry.
For example, New Mexico and Virginia don't honor my permit, but they do allow open carry in and out of my vehicle. So that's how I carry in those states. Both states are quite open carry friendly, in fact.
PA doesn't honor my permit either, but they do allow open carry outside the vehicle. In a vehicle, normally your pistol must be unloaded unless you have a permit. However, for the purpose of car carry (only), PA does honor any other state's permit. So I'm GTG there as well.
I had to cross a small section of Maryland between West Virginia (which does honor my permit) and Pennsylvania. Maryland does not honor my permit, nor do they allow vehicle nor open carry. I bought a small keyed handgun safe just for this trip. Stopped just short of the state line in WV for a meal, restroom break, topped off the fuel tank, unloaded and secured my handgun. Then drove nonstop across Maryland at the speed limit. The idea was that if I had to enter the state, I wanted to make sure to not spend any money there.

·
Registered
746 Posts
BTW, I just read the linked article and noticed something I want to comment on: the statement that "It's already legal to carry a gun openly — for instance, in a holster — without a permit in West Virginia. Only a handful of states have that kind of leniency, including Maine, Alaska, Arizona, Kansas, Vermont and Wyoming." This is another case of a reporter assuming something is true without fact-checking. After all, unlicensed open carry can't be allowed in many states, can it?

In fact, unlicensed open carry is allowed in most states. Opencarry.org shows 30 states with legal unlicensed open carry, and that only includes states that allow it in just about any public area. Some other states allow it in rural areas (California) or while engaged in outdoor sports including hunting, fishing or camping (Florida).
http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=103

The thing is, concealed carry used to be widely considered as something people did who were up to no good; while open carry was considered as the "bear arms" part of the Second Amendment.
I remember when I was a kid and concealed carry permits were almost unheard of. Lots of states (including supposedly pro-gun Texas and Tennessee) absolutely did not allow carrying a loaded handgun, period. You could carry it unloaded in its original box or some other case, locked in the trunk, going to and from gun shops, shooting ranges or hunting fields. Otherwise you were supposed to leave it at home.
But in most states, open carry was and always had been legal. In rural areas and small towns of my home state of Alabama, it wasn't uncommon to see someone with a holstered pistol in plain view. Also a large percentage of pickup trucks had a rifle or shotgun, or both, prominently displayed in the back window. That included pickup trucks parked at the high schools and driven by 16- and 17-year-olds, too. Guess how often some nutjob walked into a school and started shooting? Never, that's how often.
Oh, and I forgot to mention that it was also pretty common to see a 14-year-old kid walking down the side of the road carrying a .22 rifle.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
BTW, I just read the linked article and noticed something I want to comment on: the statement that "It's already legal to carry a gun openly — for instance, in a holster — without a permit in West Virginia. Only a handful of states have that kind of leniency, including Maine, Alaska, Arizona, Kansas, Vermont and Wyoming." This is another case of a reporter assuming something is true without fact-checking. After all, unlicensed open carry can't be allowed in many states, can it?

In fact, unlicensed open carry is allowed in most states. Opencarry.org shows 30 states with legal unlicensed open carry, and that only includes states that allow it in just about any public area. Some other states allow it in rural areas (California) or while engaged in outdoor sports including hunting, fishing or camping (Florida).
Open Carry | OpenCarry.org

The thing is, concealed carry used to be widely considered as something people did who were up to no good; while open carry was considered as the "bear arms" part of the Second Amendment.
I remember when I was a kid and concealed carry permits were almost unheard of. Lots of states (including supposedly pro-gun Texas and Tennessee) absolutely did not allow carrying a loaded handgun, period. You could carry it unloaded in its original box or some other case, locked in the trunk, going to and from gun shops, shooting ranges or hunting fields. Otherwise you were supposed to leave it at home.
But in most states, open carry was and always had been legal. In rural areas and small towns of my home state of Alabama, it wasn't uncommon to see someone with a holstered pistol in plain view. Also a large percentage of pickup trucks had a rifle or shotgun, or both, prominently displayed in the back window. That included pickup trucks parked at the high schools and driven by 16- and 17-year-olds, too. Guess how often some nutjob walked into a school and started shooting? Never, that's how often.
Oh, and I forgot to mention that it was also pretty common to see a 14-year-old kid walking down the side of the road carrying a .22 rifle.
The good old days. When the school day was over you went hunting.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, even though it's a good thing it's a bad thing. What other God given right do you have to get a permission slip from the authorities before you can exercise it?

I remember taking my Remington .22 Target Master to high school, locking it in my hall locker and when classes were out on Friday afternoon I would hitchhike with it up to my friends camp to go hunting. People would actually pick me up, carrying a gun.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I'm all about the states having their own laws for stuff, but in the case of Second Amendment Rights, it should be a federal law that everybody can carry concealed unless otherwise restricted (i.e. felony conviction). And states should NOT be allowed to alter that. Especially California.

·
Registered
163 Posts
HR923 is a bill in Congress to allow a concealed permit holder to carry in all 50 states (universal reciprocity). I don't know where it stands or if it is still pending.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
HR923 is a bill in Congress to allow a concealed permit holder to carry in all 50 states (universal reciprocity). I don't know where it stands or if it is still pending.
This is a Sister Bill to HR 218 which allows all police officer, peace officers and retirees to carry nation wide as long as they had the right to carry while on duty in their jobs. All I have to do is go for an annual re qualification every year and I am GTG . The HR 923 would likely have similar and even more requirements attached such as a training course including legals courses on the use of deadly physical force before it would ever be implemented. I can tell you from my experience as a weapons training officer for my department that far too many gun owners have no real understanding of the laws regarding when you can use your gun. Even my guys who just came out of the academy and went through 2 full weeks of weapons and legals training still had to be schooled every year and some were complete dunces. A good guy with a gun can end up being a bad guy in serious trouble in a split second decision. I can't stress this hard enough if you get a permit or have the right to carry any way at all you damn sure better read and understand the Penal Codes for the state you are carrying in. Some states require you to pass a class while many others don't but every state will hold the gun owner responsible for knowing the laws and going from your state to another state those laws can change a lot. For instance, in NY I can carry my gun loaded with a total of 10 rounds and they can be hollow point bullets but not in NJ, solid points only! Get caught in NJ with your gun loaded with HP bullets and I don't care who you are.

There are a few publications out there that claim to have the most up to date laws for each state but those laws can and do change over night.

GaryL

·
Registered
587 Posts
I was taught from my gun class I went too, is its your last resort. If.... you have the option to retreat, that's what you do. Now here in Florida and prolly other states its Stand your ground, and every situation is different but if your not in immediate danger just leave. Now my neighbor who is a long time detective told me in the castle law, that if someone breaks in your house your fine to defend yourself in any.... means, also not... to shoot someone in the back as that can be seen as they were retreating, non threat. He also said dead men tell no tales(ohhh it was the wrong house, I was drunk, etc....). But I'm glad I live in a non comm state that keeps me from defending myself, THANK GOD :)

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
I will let my conscious guide me in my decision. I will have to answer to God one day and I do not want to explain to my maker why I let people die because I wasn't in immediate danger. I will live with whatever repercussions the law has for me.

Tom

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I was taught from my gun class I went too, is its your last resort. If.... you have the option to retreat, that's what you do. Now here in Florida and prolly other states its Stand your ground, and every situation is different but if your not in immediate danger just leave. Now my neighbor who is a long time detective told me in the castle law, that if someone breaks in your house your fine to defend yourself in any.... means, also not... to shoot someone in the back as that can be seen as they were retreating, non threat. He also said dead men tell no tales(ohhh it was the wrong house, I was drunk, etc....). But I'm glad I live in a non comm state that keeps me from defending myself, THANK GOD :)
Exactly what I was talking about! Some dumb ass detective says OK to shoot the perp but just drag his dead ass in! How about just leaving it right here with this one statement, I was in fear of my life or the life of my family and I have nothing more to say until I talk with my lawyer and then you shut your trouble making mouth!

GaryL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts