TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's been a long time since I've got a ride in and in the snow. This morning I took care of both.

Now I understand why this is called Frosty Hollow. Ain't cause of it's Hawaiian like feel that's for sure.

·
Registered
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It may not be any warmer than your other place, but the terrain sure looks a lot prettier and more interesting! I used to get cold just watching your earlier wintertime videos.

5-6 more overnight and still snowing. Gotta get those TW snow "training wheels" out of the concept stage and into use. I threw away the snowmobile ski when we moved. I may have to revisit the idea. I'll have time this year. :D

·
Registered
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sure like your new neighborhood, very TW friendly.
This place reminds me of your place...except for the daily visit by the bears and mountain cougar lions. Now that there's snow I'll look for prints but I don't this the local bears and lions visit here much if at all. They're pretty and all but they can stay away.:p

·
Registered
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Most of the TW crowd here will know who Bing and Doris are because we're older than a moldy piece of 10-year-old mummified slice of piazza but someone like T-Dubs Kid, maybe not so much.:p

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
Most of the TW crowd here will know who Bing and Doris are because we're older than a moldy piece of 10-year-old mummified slice of piazza but someone like T-Dubs Kid, maybe not so much.:p
Updated..

·
Registered
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, my wife reminded me she doesn't know who Bing and Doris are either. She so funny. Lady Gaga/JGL...times change eh!

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
Yeah, my wife reminded me she doesn't know who Bing and Doris are either. She so funny. Lady Gaga/JGL...times change eh!
They reveresed the lyrics in that version too. Gaga sang the male verses

·
Registered
19,417 Posts
I went out in the white stuff yesterday morning looking for tracks but only saw bird and squirrel prints untill my dogs spooked some deer bedded down in a mountain manogany thicket.
Surprised the Frosty Hollow snowy roads gave your Cerros a traction challenge...have a frozen base yet?
My new TerraCross rear tire gobbled up an inch or two of snow without complaint on semi-steep side-hill singletrack but my snow was on still warm soil. Tire tends to ride on just one giant “v” tread block at a time so it digs in and also pivots nicely...feel is more like a conventional enduro bike. Rounded profile allows better controlled sliding compared to the square edged Duro that tended to get more traction the more I layed it over on tire’s shoulder. Could never slide Duro in TT flat track style, it would grab and stand back upright...TerraCross is definetely more “sporty” while Duro yeilded industrial grade traction.
Anyways great introductory snow video to Admiral’s new spread.

Hopefully I won't need Admiral's chains or skis anytime soon to continue to reach my meditation deck.

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
I went out in the white stuff yesterday morning looking for tracks but only saw bird and squirrel prints untill my dogs spooked some deer bedded down in a mountain manogany thicket.
Surprised the Frosty Hollow snowy roads gave your Cerros a traction challenge...have a frozen base yet?
My new TerraCross rear tire gobbled up 2” of snow without complaint on semi-steep side-hill singletrack but my snow was on still warm soil. Tire tends to ride on just one giant “v” tread block at a time so it digs in and also pivots nicely...feel is more like a conventional enduro bike. Rounded profile allows better controlled sliding compared to the square edged Duro that tended to get more traction the more I layed it over on tire’s shoulder. Could never slide Duro in TT flat track style, it would grab and stand back upright...TerraCross is definetely more “sporty” while Duro yeilded industrial grade traction.
How difficult is it to get that TerraCross on the rim?

·
Registered
19,417 Posts
JJ, quick thread hijack... Sorry Admiral, will return to normal scheduled program after a brief commercial message:
TerraCross mounting comparable to a Duro...belt sander tire's bead area at same angle as rim untill cords are about to show, take to tire shop to spin tire on wheel then seat bead at home over several days...lube, inflate to 30 to 50 psi, heat, pound with rubber mallet where bead is not seating, deflate and repeat. Add four letter words and more lube as needed.
I sealed my spokes and went tubeless...makes initial install a bit more difficult but goal is easy flat fix in the future.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
Back to the cold.. thank you Fred.

·
Registered
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

My new TerraCross rear tire gobbled up an inch or two of snow without complaint on semi-steep side-hill singletrack but my snow was on still warm soil.

Hopefully I won't need Admiral's chains or skis anytime soon to continue to reach my meditation deck.
It was icy underneath the current snow from a previous snow which made riding this time out a bit sketchy without chains. We ended up getting about 6 more inches of snow after this ride but I didn't go out. Without tire chains I've never felt very comfortable riding in the snow. The Cerros does do better than the stock tire w/o chains. However, once when I was riding on some ice/very hard snow-pack almost ice, I slide around even with the chains.

I've been eyeballing your Terra-Cross. I think you were able to get it in a 14x8" size right? The only think I don't like about my Cerros was I could only get it in 9" wide. What is your diameter size? I think my Cerros is 26 (26x14x9). If the Terra-cross comes in 8" I'm pretty sure that's what I'll get next time. Maybe, because I do like the "tubeless tire" of the trailer mod rim for fixing flats, which I have had to do on Mrs. Admirals and it was easy. Possibly go the spoke seal way you have.

I love your meditation desk.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I'm jealous. My wife is being a MOMMY and won't let me go play in the snow. She says she wants me alive. That's no fun. No fun at all. So I'm waiting for her to go back to work so I can be a 6 year old and go play anyway and figure a way to not get caught. They always find evidence.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts