TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those who use o-ring chains,was the chain seemingly more stiff than the OEM chain? and have you noticed any power DECREASE due to the extra stiffness?.Has your gas mileage went down?.If this has already been discussed,point me in the right direction. TIA

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fair enough.....I just remembered reading (Don't remember what forum) about riders complaining of such woes...as mentioned in my initial post.....and they just didn't make much since?.How could an o-ring chain make a bike work THAT much harder....so I decided to ask my trusted brethern!. TIA

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Technically an o-ring will rob power. I can see running an open (lighter) chain on a race bike where every ounce counts, but you'll never notice it on the TW.

I love my o-ring. I should have got one the first time I replaced my chain.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Those who use o-ring chains,was the chain seemingly more stiff than the OEM chain? and have you noticed any power DECREASE due to the extra stiffness?.Has your gas mileage went down?.If this has already been discussed,point me in the right direction. TIA

No. O-ring chains are way better all around.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Don't forget about X-ring, Z-ring and the new Z44 seal ring chains

I've got 5000 miles on a premium regular chain, I clean and lube after every long ride. My sprockets have no noticeable wear. I can't remember the last time I had to adjust it.

I'm still have on the stock front sprocket and a PBI rear sprocket I put on when the bike had about 350 miles on it.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts

Mr Frog,

You pose an interesting question here. Like others, I've heard there was a little power robbery using the o-ring chain. This past winter when I installed my dual sprocket setup, I also put an o-ring chain on. True of the o-ring is you don't have to adjust it nearly as often. The only real noticable negative difference I "thought" I noticed with the o-ring, was a reduction in my top speed, though I can't be for sure. So, what I was thinking just to test my theory, was to install a new non o-ring type chain and see if there really is a top speed difference, (thus power).

However, you also mentioned gas mileage, and I hadn't given this part of the equation a thought. But after you mentioned this, I have noticed (the few times I checked), that my gas mileage had reduced. The last 2 times I checked my gas mileage, the best I've gotten has been 52 and 56mpg with the o-ring chain. I use to get in the 70's + with the standard chain, but since I had also put a different sprocket on, I attributed my reduction in miles per gallon on the sprocket and never thought the chain could cause this. Other than a slight top end loss and possible loss of mpg, the o-ring chain has been great.

So, I'm gonna put on a new standard chain and test these theories for something I can sort of measure, top speed and mpg.

I'll let you know what I find out from my testing.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you to all who responded.Admiral,to go to such links is admirable (no play on words intended....it just worked out that way).It will be interesting to see your data.....Thank you!.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I love my KMC 428UO drive chain.

http://www.oemcycle.com/Item/product/900269983

The KMC drive chain has very little friction from the O-rings. I really enjoy not needing to constantly adjust the drive chain.

In the springtime and fall, I encounter a lot of mud while riding off road. The drive chain takes a lot of punishment riding in these conditions.

About a week ago my Zong's swingarm collected so much mud it locked up my rear wheel! I had to stop three times to clean the goop out of the swingarm before I could continue my ride.

I enjoy the reduced maintenance required for the O-ring drive chains while riding in these harsh conditions.

Spud

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
My goodness! Who doesn't want to go riding with Spud?! Your pictures are awe inspir...I mean ride-inspiring! Congrats on your fives too (55,555.5), amazing. Do you keep a ride journal or have a blog or something? I have to do some of these rides.

Sorry everybody for the off-subject post, but I've been meaning to blow some sunshine up Spudrider's tailpipe for a while.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Spud - is there anywhere that sells extra master links for that chain? I'd like to buy the chain in your link (pun intended) but I usually always buy a spare master link when I purchase a new type of chain.

OWT, on their web page where it says...type: chain...click on the chain and you can choose "connecting link".

·
Registered
379 Posts
Spud, what kind of mileage are you getting out of your sprockets and chain?

You'd be the guy to ask, haha.
I checked my maintenance record, and I usually get about 8,000 miles from a drive chain. I also replace both sprockets when I replace the drive chain. My Zong sees a lot of off road miles as well as street miles. As you can see from the previous photographs, pulling the drive chain through caked mud doesn't help to increase its longevity.

I do get better mileage from the O-ring drive chains. However, I mostly enjoy the decreased maintenance required for the O-ring drive chains.
The KMC 428UO drive chain is an excellent value, and it doesn't cost much more than some conventional drive chains.

Spud

·
Registered
379 Posts
My goodness! Who doesn't want to go riding with Spud?! Your pictures are awe inspir...I mean ride-inspiring! Congrats on your fives too (55,555.5), amazing. Do you keep a ride journal or have a blog or something? I have to do some of these rides.

Sorry everybody for the off-subject post, but I've been meaning to blow some sunshine up Spudrider's tailpipe for a while.
Thank you.

Spud

·
Registered
379 Posts
Spud - is there anywhere that sells extra master links for that chain? I'd like to buy the chain in your link (pun intended) but I usually always buy a spare master link when I purchase a new type of chain.

Thanks
OWT, on their web page where it says...type: chain...click on the chain and you can choose "connecting link".
Yes, you can buy an extra connecting link for $1.94.

http://www.oemcycle.com/Item/product/900271460

Spud

·
Registered
379 Posts
Any data on tensile strength? for this chain....didn't see it listed at OEM?. TIA
The average tensile strength of the KMC 428UO drive chain is 2,400 kgf, which equals 5,300 pounds.

http://www.kmcgroup.com.tw/toen/products2_3.htm

For the purpose of comparison, the DID 428HD drive chain has an average tensile strength of 5,250 pounds.

http://www.didchain.com/chainSpecs.html

The EK 428SROZ drive chain has an average tensile strength of 5,300 pounds, the same as the KMC 428UO drive chain.

http://www.ekchain.jp/product/street_bikes.html

I just installed my third, KMC 428UO drive chain; it is very strong. I haven't had any problems whatsoever with this drive chain.
KMC is a well known manufacturer of drive chains for bicycles.

http://www.kmcchain.us/

Spud

1 - 20 of 58 Posts