TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any slow riders that ride in Ocala forest in florida? riding alone is OK but always safer with a buddy. my last good riding buddy is now 74 and no longer rides dual sport. I am too slow for the enduro guys to ride with and can't take the heavy sand on the real trails.

Bob B.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Oh my, (any slow riders) is right up mine and @SpeedyTide 's course of events. However, we are about 75-80 miles away and the cool riding weather is rapidly dissolving for that area. I've spent many days riding the ONF in Jeep or on motorcycle but usually in cooler weather.

Hopefully someone close to you will chime in soon that doesn't require more than a phone call and a few minutes to meet you in them thar sandy woods.

I cut some of my woods riding teeth around Eureka last of the 60's early 70's.

Marty

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
There is another forum member @Hoot Gibson that spent quite a bit of time in that area many years ago as well but I have not had the pleasure of meeting him. He moved on to bigger and better things in Ohio but part of his heart is still down there I think. Have you ever crossed Fort Gates Ferry, Bob? If so, we have all crossed paths at different times together.

Marty

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh my, (any slow riders) is right up mine and @SpeedyTide 's course of events. However, we are about 75-80 miles away and the cool riding weather is rapidly dissolving for that area. I've spent many days riding the ONF in Jeep or on motorcycle but usually in cooler weather.

Hopefully someone close to you will chime in soon that doesn't require more than a phone call and a few minutes to meet you in them thar sandy woods.

I cut some of my woods riding teeth around Eureka last of the 60's early 70's.

Marty
where exactly are you at? any other good riding areas in Florida? i am willing to trailer my bike for a couple of days. to be honest, i miss the riding in NJ where i grew up. beautiful trails and no sand.
BB

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Check out the Florida Trail Riders website. Down here in South Central Florida its bottomless sugar sand. That's why I go to Tennessee.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
where exactly are you at? any other good riding areas in Florida? i am willing to trailer my bike for a couple of days. to be honest, i miss the riding in NJ where i grew up. beautiful trails and no sand.
BB
Jacksonville area. The only legal areas to ride are the few different state forests, Carey, Bethea and Four Creeks. And, the Osceola National Forest.

Marty

Reactions: SEADUB200

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Check out the Florida Trail Riders website. Down here in South Central Florida its bottomless sugar sand. That's why I go to Tennessee.
Even if it wasn't bottomless sugar sand, you would still go to Tennessee. AND FOR GOOD REASON!
There's Golden Riding in Them Thar Hills!

Marty

Reactions: Xracer

·
Registered
204 TW200, Jets 'n Shims, DGV2, Acerbis Guards, ProTaper KX, JNS LED BLK
281 Posts
Jacksonville area. The only legal areas to ride are the few different state forests, Carey, Bethea and Four Creeks. And, the Osceola National Forest.

Marty
Do you have a personal ranking of those, or top favorites?

·
Registered
557 Posts
You asked Scooter, but I'll chime in my thoughts. I've ridden Carey, Bethea, Four Creeks, and Osceola. Only ridden by Ocala NF, not really in it, but have heard from many riders, and watched enough vids, that it's known for being very sandy, and having some deep sand!

The others have some deep sandy areas as well, but more rideable IMO, since not as much.

Osceola & Ocala are by far the larger riding areas, followed by Carey & Bethea. Four Creeks is rather small.

All, other than Ocala, are pretty much dirt or service roads you ride, and flat terrain, whereas Ocala is more trail-like riding with a little bit of elevation in some parts. Ocala has a lot of motorized traffic, ATV's/UTV's/Motorcycles, etc., and being it's 2-way traffic as well, with lots of turns (which is awesome), but have to ride with extra caution when approaching turns.

Although the furthest from us in Jax, Croom down in Brooksville, is a great spot for riding! Never been, but again....have heard about, and read/watch great things about it. Sandy in places as well.

Most any ride spots in Florida....you gonna have some sand. Some just more than others.

Also, have Belmore & Jennings State Forests, although not a lot of riding within them, they are good.

From a local standpoint....my choices are Osceola (more riding area), John Bethea, with Cary, Belmore, Jennings being a tie, and Four Creeks is just so small.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
SpeedyTide pretty much nailed it. And saved me some typing! By far, Osceola and John Bethea are at the top of the list with more diversity of mud and sand and several miles of hardpack. And the two forests join one another.

Osceola also has several dedicated ATV/UTV/Motorcycle trails. Depending what area, many are just long mud runs that stay churned up by the four wheelers. Not near as scenic as the somewhat hilly Ocala with it's nice mix of oaks, pines and scrub. Osceola is mostly flat, predominantly pines, cypress, swamp, and, gall berry bushes along with a lot of "Wait A Minute" vines.

All the forests are pretty in their own way and change of scenery does us all good.

Marty

Reactions: SpeedyTide

·
Registered
204 TW200, Jets 'n Shims, DGV2, Acerbis Guards, ProTaper KX, JNS LED BLK
281 Posts
Great feedback! Thanks. Always wondered about riding options up that way!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I live 30 minutes sw of Ocala in Inverness. I have been looking for somebody to ride with in the area for a while. I ride north and east of here plus I make several trips to WV every year to explore back roads and national forest roads. I have a 2018 TW200.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I live 30 minutes sw of Ocala in Inverness. I have been looking for somebody to ride with in the area for a while. I ride north and east of here plus I make several trips to WV every year to explore back roads and national forest roads. I have a 2018 TW200.
My name is BOB. we live in Volusia county. I have ridden through all areas of Ocala. my favorites are deerhaven in the SE and road 46 above rt 40. i just spent 3 days in salt springs and put 108 miles on my suzuki van van 200. i am planning on trading it in on a more capable bike, however, my slow ride style will remain the same. i have owned a 2005 DRZ 400 and a KTM 300 XCW. at 66 and out of shape My body could not take the sand surfing with the KTM any more (even thought the bike could take it no problem)
send me an email and contact info. lets get a few others and get a group together. [email protected]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts