TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will trade 2001 blinkers for little rubber carb enricher plug.

During carb cleaning my black rubber or plastic plug fell out. During reinstallation it won’t stay in the hole and it’s pretty buggared, so it’s gotta go. I know I can get it from Boats.net for like 4 bucks plus shipping, but thought I’d ask if anyone has any spares. Right now I have the old turn signals from my bike (2001 - has third wire driving lights) to trade if anyone needs them. I see what they go for on eBay and think it’s froggin ridiculous. So they are yours if you have a spare plug. I’ll pay shipping for the blinkers. Also need some needle shims for experimentation if you have some and a drain screw (although I can make my nasty old one work if I have to).

Also during cleaning I noticed that the o-ring on my drain plug spent the last of its nine lives and found a suitable nitrile replacement in the $5 kit I got from Harbor Freight so I’m ok on that piece.

I know my pictures are not that great but does anyone think the crud on that enricher plug is from some kind of sealer/adhesive or just poopy gas?

I had fun reading some threads about how important that little plug is. Cheers.

Moderators - feel free to move this to classifieds if needed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s the one circled in red. I won’t pretend to understand the physics, but without the plug my choke (enricher) won’t work.

Thanks to jbfla for the photo and for giving me the blueprint for everything carb related. He or elime or one of the other large brained carb guys will probably explain it better. I spent hours reading old posts and know just enough to know it’s necessary.

I’ll probably just buy the part but have been the recipient of lots of favors so thought I’d offer them up. They didn’t look that nice until I detailed them. Perfect working order and I’m hoping this won’t be my only TW so I’ll keep them if no takers. Cheers

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
17,989 Posts
We can leave the thread here for now, it might get more views, getting you back on the road quicker... ;)

Kinda looks like old Permatex or something...

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
The rubber plug is a "friction" fit....no sealer.

As you mentioned, the plug blocks an opening to the enricher (choke) circuit.

Don't know why it's there, only that if the opening is not blocked off, the choke will not draw fuel from the bowl, and it will be difficult to tune your engine (air leak).

The original plug in my carb was several mm thick. When I ordered a replacement, it was only about 1 mm thick...but still worked.

The fitting with the o-ring is for the air vent (equalizes air pressure inside the carb) not the drain.

Take good care of the fitting, it is another part that is not available as a separate piece.

jb

·
Registered
184 Posts
The rubber plug is a "friction" fit....no sealer.

As you mentioned, the plug blocks an opening to the enricher (choke) circuit.

Don't know why it's there, only that if the opening is not blocked off, the choke will not draw fuel from the bowl, and it will be difficult to tune your engine (air leak).

The original plug in my carb was several mm thick. When I ordered a replacement, it was only about 1 mm thick...but still worked.

The fitting with the o-ring is for the air vent (equalizes air pressure inside the carb) not the drain.

Take good care of the fitting, it is another part that is not available as a separate piece.

jb
jbfla is correct. I lost the rubber plug during my carb rebuild. The bike does run but backfired and the choke doesn’t work meaning the bike won’t start with the choke on. Ordered the plug for mine from Babbitt’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry - turn signals are not for sale. I was hoping to trade them for a few parts I need but have already found a source for them. Cheers

·
Registered
457 Posts
I just got a new rubber plug in from Yamaha this week for mine and it looked like the original, maybe 1/4" thick with a hole part way through from one side. Had to place another order so got a spare to have in my little carb parts kit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts