TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve read almost every thread on this forum in the two weeks since I bought my first TW200. I’ve learned a great deal and appreciate the experience that the longtime owners are willing to share.

I am still unsure of the dangers involved with the original front tire.

At the risk of being flamed for being lazy, could someone explain exactly what the problem is with the OEM tire without using colorful words like death wing, teeth crusher, widow-maker, etc.

Thanx...

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Welcome Tjmay! Yes, what littletommy says above. Although, danger is a strong word. On the street, it is a fine tire. It is off-road where it is not great. Once we've discovered tires that were so much better, we started making fun of the tire. Many have run them successfully for years. It's weaknesses are that it tracks funny and leaves an uneasy feeling on simple gravel roads, and it can wash-out, or loose traction in many other off-road situations. Some of us ride the TW so much harder than I'm sure was intended as a simple dual-sport, so we demand more than what the OEM tire can provide. I believe the Shinko 241 is the near perfect tire to put on the front to match the TW34 rear tire, and the $55 investment is well worth it if you're planning to spend any significant amount of time off-road. To each their own, rider's choice. Happy riding!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I have been riding off road for a few years on Bridgestone 203/204 "street tires" and had no issue. Bought a newer TW with the stock tires and took it off road. The front end slid out at least 4 times on the first day. On the street it is a great tire.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I’ve read almost every thread on this forum in the two weeks since I bought my first TW200. I’ve learned a great deal and appreciate the experience that the longtime owners are willing to share.

I am still unsure of the dangers involved with the original front tire.

At the risk of being flamed for being lazy, could someone explain exactly what the problem is with the OEM tire without using colorful words like death wing, teeth crusher, widow-maker, etc.

Thanx...
Off road in any kind of loose gravel it wants to slide at any speed over a slow speed! Put on a 241 and its a different bike. You won't believe the difference, however on road i don't have much time with either but i believe the stock tire is fine.

·
Registered
343 Posts
The OEM tire isn't really any different than any OEM tire installed on 99% of the cars rolling out of showrooms. They're black, they're round, and they are perfectly adequate for 'normal use' in 'normal conditions'.
If someone bought a new car and was going to be driving for their job, and possibly in snowy or muddy conditions, they would likely think about upgrading to a better tire, more suited to the slightly more demanding conditions that they will be subjecting it to.
There are much better tires if you're doing more off-pavement riding...and there are better tires if you're doing nearly 100% pavement riding. If you think about it, the stock tire really isn't that bad....as an OEM basic tire. I don't think it's unreasonable to have to swap it out for something more task-suited if you're heading out into the mud, desert, etc.... Some people happily run it for years, and it's fine for them... I'd likely have been the perfect candidate for running a death wing. Older rider, new rider, quite content to chug along, well inside the limits of the OEM tire. I did all my dumb stuff when I was young, so when I took up biking at 47, I went with the attitude that I was made of glass, and to ride accordingly.
That said, as a new rider, I didn't like the feeling that the death wing gave me....like it was on the verge of slipping out a lot...it never tossed me, but there were a lot of times I thought, "Hmm...I have a feeling that the front should feel more planted than it does...." For the price, it was a no-brainer for me to upgrade to a 241. For my riding and conditions, the 241 was a much better fit... Could I have kept using the OEM and not exploded in a ball of fire, killing all those in a 10-mile radius? Probably...

A friend has an old laptop that's missing a couple keys, is slow as hell, the battery only lasts about 15 minutes...but he's the type that doesn't care because he goes on, checks facebook, checks the weather, and puts it away. It does what he needs it to do and he's fine with that. I like to fart around with games, some editing and stuff and I like something that does exactly what I want it to, when I ask it to....so I have a business class workstation with thick aluminum sides on it that would make any TW200 skidplate feel inadequate, 24GB of ram and a Xeon processor. Mine can check facebook and the weather too...and a lot of other stuff. But I want to do the other stuff...he doesn't. For what he does, his 'good enough' laptop (OEM tire) is just that; good enough.

·
Registered
566 Posts
As mentioned, you can get about 3000 miles out of it from road and/or mostly road use. In loose gravel, I had several front end washouts which now realize were from a lack of lateral traction. If you're going to spend time in the loose stuff -- knobbies. Oh, and if you're going to spend time in the loose stuff -- knobbies.

·
Registered
463 Posts
When I first got my low mileage '06 last fall the first thing I did was go for a rip around my property and the first thing I noticed was how easily the front end would loose traction and regular grass....not even wet at that. In my opinion that is a big problem waiting to happen so it will be coming off for spring and replaced with a 241.

·
Registered
13,239 Posts
The OEM front tire is the best front tire in the whole wide world to see and take up space on your shelf or floor of your shop/garage. Matter of fact, I have one mounted on a rim ready to go at a moments notice but I suspect that moment will never come. They look so good sitting on the shelf I can hardly believe my eyes.

Of course, on my TW's I use the SR241 for all the good reasons people have posted.

Off-road, the stock OEM front tires are not very good. Resistance is futile, buy and replace your OEM tire with something better.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have, in the past, generously offered to dispose of new or like new front oem tires....I will pay shipping and offer a small pittance as a public service to the fine citizens of this forum. We have found that the (less than challenging) terrain that we ride here, requires nothing more than the stock front tire. Plus as we are all rather long in the tooth and we typically ride rather slowly they are (barely) adequate....I seem to wear out 2 or 3 a year and we ride about 90% off road, they certainly do not last long!

·
Registered
13,239 Posts
I have, in the past, generously offered to dispose of new or like new front oem tires....I will pay shipping and offer a small pittance as a public service to the fine citizens of this forum. We have found that the (less than challenging) terrain that we ride here, requires nothing more than the stock front tire. Plus as we are all rather long in the tooth and we typically ride rather slowly they are (barely) adequate....I seem to wear out 2 or 3 a year and we ride about 90% off road, they certainly do not last long!

I used to speak of the OEM's the same way. Nobody agreed with me so I chamelioned and now bash them for the fun of it. OEM front tire bashing I mean. :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
After some perusing of the varies threads on the subject of front tires, a front change has risen up close to the top as a required change. Use is mostly off road probably 80/20 I am all for ANYTHING that will increase my odds of NOT falling down and hurting my aging bones. SO I think I want to put on an MT21 Pirelli, only question is MAX size. Anyone know if the 140/80 - 18 -70 will fit no problem? I am thinking the 130 is no issue.

Thanks in advance

Dman

·
Registered
457 Posts
After some perusing of the varies threads on the subject of front tires, a front change has risen up close to the top as a required change. Use is mostly off road probably 80/20 I am all for ANYTHING that will increase my odds of NOT falling down and hurting my aging bones.

Dman

I represent that comment about not wanting to hurt my aging bones and with all the negative discussion revolving around the stock front tire I think about it all the time when I am riding so I am inclined to pull my 400 mile oem tire off and swap to a 241. If it brings more traction in any situation i might get into, I want that.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts