TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking at getting the exhaust system (via craigslist) from a 2006 TW for my 1989 TW. I assume this will be an easy bolt-up swap. Buuuuuut, I called the local Yamaha dealer and they show different part numbers.

Can anyone help me out on this? I would like to confirm the interchangeability before purchasing.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
All the same.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SO, I finally got around to putting the nice newer 2006 OEM exhaust system on my old 1989... It fit alright, but Yamaha must have changed the frame mount a little so I'll have to do a little fab work. It sure is a bunch quieter now!

Here are a few pics showing the mounting change. And check out that rotten exhaust! It just broke apart as I disassembled it to have a look...

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
I stand corrected. I have an '03 exhaust on my '87 frame. Wonder what year things changed.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
I don't like to dispense bad information if I can help it. I told you they were all the same, and you ran out and bought one on my say so. Ergo, I stand corrected and apologise for steering you wrong.

Let us know if you discover year-to-year differences in addition to the mounting tabs. Other than the very early '87's which had welded end caps I've not found any until you pointed out the mounting issue. There could be others.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I don't like to dispense bad information if I can help it. I told you they were all the same, and you ran out and bought one on my say so. Ergo, I stand corrected and apologise for steering you wrong.

Let us know if you discover year-to-year differences in addition to the mounting tabs. Other than the very early '87's which had welded end caps I've not found any until you pointed out the mounting issue. There could be others.

Looks like a TTR muffler??????????

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Looks like a TTR muffler??????????

Nah. If you look at an older frame you can see that the forward mount tab hole is closer to the frame downtube. What year is the bike in that pic? I've given up on trying to remember 25 years of color schemes. lol.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Nah. If you look at an older frame you can see that the forward mount tab hole is closer to the frame downtube. What year is the bike in that pic? I've given up on trying to remember 25 years of color schemes. lol.

Ya, see it. This is new to me.

Ronnydog

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
2JX-14711-00-00 1987-2002

2JX-14711-10-00 2003-2012

The later model muffler is $165 cheaper. Make it fit.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
2JX-14711-00-00 1977-2002

2JX-14711-10-00 2003-2012

The later model muffler is $165 cheaper. Make it fit.

Thanks qwerty. It's installed and sounds good. I just need to modify the frame tab to accomodate the exhaust mount. I paid $50 for the whole setup so I'm a happy camper.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
They were initially released in '77. It had 47 horsepower and was scaryfast. Only two units were sold, both went to free range penguin ranchers in Antartica. Yamaha felt they were just ahead of their time and withdrew them from the market, re-releasing them 10 years later, but with drum brakes rather than the earlier fore-and-aft 320mm disc units.

Kinda like Garth Brooks' first album.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts