TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First question, is the seat assembly the same for all years?
I have a 1998 with a blue seat and was looking at some OEM parts suppliers and found the entire seat assembly for a 2010 for $116.99. After seeing some trashed used ones on ebay for $150.00 I was thinking why not buy an entire new assembly for that price.
Second question, if all seats are interchangeable does one of the newer years have a blue color or blue/black seat color.
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I'm not sure where you found a whole seat assy for that price...normally just a seat cover through Yamaha is around $140. Did you check the foam and seat cover in the classifieds right now off a 2014 for $50?

Yes there are a few years that have blue and black seats but I don't know which specifically. Do a google search for TW's and view images. You'll see them.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I'm 95% sure that the seats are identical in terms of seat pan / attachment points. Colors you will have to work out using the web or ?? Tom

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'm not sure where you found a whole seat assy for that price...normally just a seat cover through Yamaha is around $140. Did you check the foam and seat cover in the classifieds right now off a 2014 for $50?

Yes there are a few years that have blue and black seats but I don't know which specifically. Do a google search for TW's and view images. You'll see them.
I'm looking on Cheap Cycle Parts and they show the 2012 semi double seat assembly for $113.87, it is number 1 and shows a circle around all the parts for that price, that seems like a steal to me.
Other info I found on the web said 2008-2014 for that part number though, didn't know what made them different.

·
Registered
385 Posts
If you are going to pay $150... Seat Concepts has foam and a cover [use your original seat pan] for you to use as a DIY project. I have heard enough good reviews for them that I am going to put one on Junior. The colors are limited, however. I know the Seat Concepts is probably $160 + shipping if I remember right. I'm just tossing this out there is all.

·
Registered
583 Posts
If you are going to spend money on your seat I would suggest you consider the Seat Concepts kit.....hands down a huge improvement over stock and well worth the extra cash.
The flatter/wider shape stops you from constantly sliding forward and will allow you ride in comfort much longer.....and it looks pretty good also.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The seat on my 1998 appears to be identical (except color of course) to my 2011. Which doesn't fully answer your question, but closes the gap.
That does help, I found another site with the price of $98.63, I have to order it now just to find out if it is the entire seat.
Nothing ventured....

·
Registered
13,330 Posts
First question, is the seat assembly the same for all years?
I have a 1998 with a blue seat and was looking at some OEM parts suppliers and found the entire seat assembly for a 2010 for $116.99. After seeing some trashed used ones on ebay for $150.00 I was thinking why not buy an entire new assembly for that price.
Second question, if all seats are interchangeable does one of the newer years have a blue color or blue/black seat color.
Thanks for the help
Did you just want a different color or is your entire seat trashed? If you just want another color you might want to try vinyl paint(s). I used black vinyl paint on my seat a couple years ago and it's still holding up, but I do use a seat pad which probably helps protect the paint. My thought was if the paint wore off a little, I would just repaint it, but have not had to do this yet. However, if you want to go in a different direction, others have mentioned some sound alternative's.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you just want a different color or is your entire seat trashed? If you just want another color you might want to try vinyl paint(s). I used black vinyl paint on my seat a couple years ago and it's still holding up, but I do use a seat pad which probably helps protect the paint. My thought was if the paint wore off a little, I would just repaint it, but have not had to do this yet. However, if you want to go in a different direction, others have mentioned some sound alternative's.
Actually my seat is perfect, I was going to put that on the shelf and put one on for thrashing in the dirt that I didn't care if I ripped it. I was looking at getting a used one and came across the price on the new one cheaper than used ones I saw for sale. I have ordered the one I saw for $98 and will see what I get when it comes, if it is an entire assembly I will pass that along here.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Mine is put up as I put this on. If I ever sell the bike I will put on the original. I didn't change anything on the bike it'self, just made it more comfortable and added some carrying space.

I put a set of saddlebags on and the little hoops on the rack keep them away from the bike.

I may have posted this before so bear with me.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Boy I am pleasantly surprised, it is the entire seat assembly. It totaled $108 with shipping and it came in a week, I'll post more details when I get back from vacation next week

1 - 18 of 18 Posts