1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone has used the the TW200 for

Dual Sport events
Turkey Runs
Hare Scrambles? (this would be great on video)

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I would do a hare scramble on my TW, but there aren't any around here anymore . Just some dice runs and most of the machines are side by sides and a few 4 wheelers

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Of course. Just the last few months Green Ridge in West Virginia/Western Maryland, Dirt Daze in Lake Luzerne, NY. and threw something together something attached to the Jersey Devil Hunt in the Pine Barrens. That’s actually an annual sidecar event but we didn’t ride with them.

You remember the old TV series “M.A.S H.” ? Think of the TW as the “Radar O’Reily” character at these events. Gets the job done without all the fancy stuff. Someone has to help all the “real” adventure riders and their fancy-boy/fancy-girl bikes. HaHa.

Sometimes it’s tough to make the organized dates work for me because I work nights and weekends a lot. Better to get 3-6 guys together and make your own un-organized run.

I see you are located in CT. Have you ever done the trails at People State Forest?
I’ve never been but would like to.

All rides below previously posted on the forum:

·
Registered
19,580 Posts
Do the numerous TW group rides and annual Moab gatherings of up to 30 riders count?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do the numerous TW group rides and annual Moab gatherings of up to 30 riders count?
Only if you had to pay an entry fee.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Have done a few in the area that you might have heard of;
Somers Fun Run
BTA Berkshire Big Adventure
DARC Cidah Run although you don't have to pay for that one.
Couple others, maybe.
I don't harbor any illusions of being a racer, so they are not really that interesting to me. Plus I'm cheap.
Search for "Rockpile" on here.... he used to do some NETRA events and I know he has videos on here.
Ask the Dual Sporkers about him....he could ride the piss out of his TW on the Pachaug Loop.

Stagewex, I don't know of any "trails" at Peoples State Forest, although there are some dirt roads in the area. That is an excellent place to camp at the start and then ride the Trans-Mass Trail and the Puppy Dog route all the way to the Canadian border. That is on a mostly dirt road route, although it is VERY easy riding. Beautiful ride up through Mass and Vermont.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm signed up to do this in October. https://thedesertrace.com/

I might be rebuilding my engine/trans instead though. 18,000 miles of highway commuting and weekend camping trips in the past year and my TW has a LOUD 5th gear....... Looks like a rebuild a year is in my future, compression is still good though.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Only if you had to pay an entry fee.
Only fee for our TW group rides is getting there. Riding with fellow TW riders is the best adventure out there. I am leaving the NW to go to SC in Oct. Would like to meet up with some TW folks along the way to do some riding in your backyard. Is nice to have someone show the way to good riding in other areas of our nation.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Hare Scrambles are all-out/flat out/balls-to-the-wall/full throttle races. Least ways the ones out West here are. My TW would be chewing too much dust and getting lapped. I have run a few family enduros and it will finish that in a reasonable fashion. But you better be great at time keeping because to make up lost time is pretty hard. Biggest limitation is the suspension, so technical races are a little more in line with what the bike is able to perform. It's especially good on the steep stuff where there are bottlenecks. I can dog paddle through where others are tipping over and into each other. The bike's weight is a limitation. Sure wish there was a way to shed about 40 pounds off this thing! I could loose 40 pounds off my frame, but I simply love cheeseburgers too much. Ha!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did the Rhody Riders Thrill & Chill Turkey Run August 25th. What an awesome event. I realized as I was riding all that single track that a stock TW200 would absolutely be OK at this event.

The Turkey Run format is ideal for me. Piles of single track, no pressure, ride at your own pace. I'll be doing it again next year for sure, weather permitting (it was a beautiful day dry trails all the way through).

I also did one yesterday, in Tolland MA. The Triple B Turkey Run. I enjoyed the first half through the gas stop. About 20 miles at the halfway point. Then the first single track section after the break, crushed me, I fell, a lot, on greasy wet trails that were far more technical than the first half. I was exhausted. I rode back to the start area at the first bail point. Tiring, but still a great day. I would do it again, but only if it hasn't rained in 4-5 days previous. The rain we had last week drenched the trails that don't drain well, and I think a TW would have done admirably through the mud holes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts