TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, this is primarily for total noobs and experienced road riders, just getting into off-road.
And even experienced off-road demons maybe, as a quick refresher.

And yes, we certainly are lucky enough to have off-road "pros" on this forum who could easily have scripted this vid!
I hope they will chime in with their thoughts & advice.

Here's mine: Regardless of your own skill & experience levels:
It's all better with good suspension, or at least as good as we can make the suspension on our lowly T-Dubs!

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
With out even watching that video your comment rings true. Suspension set up for your weight and a balanced bike are the number one without question the most important things to do. There is simply no argument to that.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
My Tdub taught me how to ride. The lack of suspension bucks you to your feet a few times and you take the hint. Everyone else I was riding with sat down on their 250s making my TW feel even more inadequate and needing upgrade till I saw this video. Now I stand proud and have way more control over my bike making me wonder what I could do with better suspension.

I wish I knew this sooner as now I'm left managing an impinged shoulder from sitting while trail riding. Otherwise I'm very confident in my riding in just 4 years experience.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My Tdub taught me how to ride. The lack of suspension bucks you to your feet a few times and you take the hint. Everyone else I was riding with sat down on their 250s making my TW feel even more inadequate and needing upgrade till I saw this video. Now I stand proud and have way more control over my bike making me wonder what I could do with better suspension.

I wish I knew this sooner as now I'm left managing an impinged shoulder from sitting while trail riding. Otherwise I'm very confident in my riding in just 4 years experience.

TW...sorry about the shoulder, shit happens!
I have a permanently wonked shoulder from a near-fatal highway crash. Can't blame that one on suspension, though.

Glad to hear you are interested in upgraded suspension for your T-Dubbie!

I've been impressed with your riding in your vids. ..one sincere compliment on your riding:
You are very smooth, like in the "rhythm sections", zig-zagging through the trees! And smooth overall.
Your butt & shoulder will thank you and you'll probably hit fewer trees!

Smoothness is the "Holy Grail" of all motorcycle riding, street & dirt, and all types of racing.
If you ever get to a flat-track race, keep an eye on the guy/gal in the lead. (Google Shayna Texter!) They actually appear to be going slower than the crowd behind them.
It's because they are almost always very smooth which is the highest level of control.

Look at this pic of "King" Kenny Roberts at an AMA National Short Track race (flat-track) in the Houston Astrodome, mid-70s I guess. I was sitting several rows up from the photographer. I saw this clearly...and probably spilled my beer!
He appears to be out of control and headed to the fence or an out of control wheelie. Nope. Total control...and smooth as a baby's butt. With all the bike's weight on the rear tire for traction. When he allowed the bike to straighten up it took off for Turn 3 like a rocket!
He won...along with another championship.

(More below:)

TW: "Now I stand proud and have way more control over my bike making me wonder what I could do with better suspension."
I'll tell you exactly what you could do with better suspension:
You could/would ride smoother, quicker, faster with better braking & cornering. Easier control. Less fatiguing.

We're very limited with our TDub's suspension. You could spend crazy money and it would never handle like a KTM.
Or, you could spend FAR less $$ and it will handle FAR better than it does stock.

I have a pretty good balance between cost & results on mine. RaceTech Cartridge Fork Emulators & proper spring up front; and a proper rate rear spring on the rear with stock shock...both with good setup. I'd love to have a better shock but can't really afford it. This is one time when "good enough" really has to be "good enough". Proper set-up, front & rear are very important, of course.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Not really into going fast anymore, and having ridden trials bike a fair bit, I do not squeeze the tank with my knees all that often.
I like to be able to move the bike between my legs keeping myself upright and the bike angled when needed.
The rest of his advise just seems natural.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Darth, back during that era or possibly just before Roberts, there was a flat tracker known for almost never putting a foot down. Help me out here as most likely I am wrong, but the name Rice comes to mind for some reason.

Marty

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jim Rice!
Nationally ranked, BSA factory rider.
Neat guy!

You may remember Rice from "On Any Sunday"...he's the cat who smacked the wall with his face at a buck-twenty in the Sacramento Mile National race, 1970 I think.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Thanks! Dad took me to see that movie when I was ten. A few months later when Mom and Dad opened the locked hall door that separated bedrooms from the living room, dad kept us at bay as Mom plugged in the Christmas Tree lights. First thing I noticed in the glow was a blinker. There was a brand new Yamaha 100 LT2 Enduro parked in the living room between the tree and the front door. I liked to have killed myself when I ran to it and tripped over my brothers new Big Wheel. Talk about running with blinders on!

Thanks again for the history lesson,

Marty

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
wow, what a great Christmas story!

And yup... bike setup to your weight is crucial.

Thanks! Dad took me to see that movie when I was ten. A few months later when Mom and Dad opened the locked hall door that separated bedrooms from the living room, dad kept us at bay as Mom plugged in the Christmas Tree lights. First thing I noticed in the glow was a blinker. There was a brand new Yamaha 100 LT2 Enduro parked in the living room between the tree and the front door. I liked to have killed myself when I ran to it and tripped over my brothers new Big Wheel. Talk about running with blinders on!

Thanks again for the history lesson,

Marty

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool Christmas story, ScooterB!

I had your bike's big brother...Yamaha 360 RT1-B.
What a bone-breakin mean SOB! Way too much engine for way too little motorcycle.
I started racing Hare Scrambles with that damn thing...after 2 races I sold the pig and bought a Penton 175 Jackpiner (KTM). What a little sweetheart!
WOO-HOO...let the games begin!

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
I had a 360 too, until this post I forgot about that bike. it was a lot of engine. Something weird happened to it. A whole chunk of the case blew off the size of a quarter. Sounded like a dam shotgun. I almost bailed off the bike thinking I was being shot at. I stood no chance of finding it so I used marine-tex to expoxy a piece on metal over the hole. I assume it was just a bad casting that caused it as it ran for years after.

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
Wow.. that’s a nice looking bike.

What a bone-breakin mean SOB! Way too much engine for way too little motorcycle.
I started racing Hare Scrambles with that damn thing...after 2 races I sold the pig and bought a Penton 175 Jackpiner (KTM). What a little sweetheart!

·
Registered
318 Posts

My father, Navy, was stationed in Pensacola '52-'54 I think. He rode motorcycles with a club spread between there and Panama City I believe it was. Later, transferred to Cecil Field in Jacksonville, he stayed in touch and rode back and forth to Panama City and Pensacola on his Triumph when leave allowed. Years later when Penton came along, one of his friends in Pensacola either opened up, or included the Penton at his dealership.

Did you strictly race only or compete in timed enduros also? Dad used to compete in the 24mph average speed ones on his Triumph. He won or placed in several. I think the longest one he won was 88 miles. I can only imagine fighting that sumbeech for 88 miles in the woods.

Geez man, I really hope I win that Grom!

Marty

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you strictly race only or compete in timed enduros also? Dad used to compete in the 24mph average speed ones on his Triumph. He won or placed in several. I think the longest one he won was 88 miles. I can only imagine fighting that sumbeech for 88 miles in the woods.

No, we weren't timed.
Hare Scrambles were generally shorter tracks, 3-4 mile loops, 2-3 hours duration, higher average speed.
Closed Course Enduros were similar but were much longer tracks, 10-15 mile loops, 4-6 hours duration, lower average speed, more technical & gnarly. Harder physically.
Both were natural terrain.
Both were speed-based, measured in different ways.
And always, the fastest guy wins!
I liked the shorter, faster Hare Scrambles.
The most fun of all were 2-man team Scrambles on longer than usual tracks. You'd go run 1-2 laps, then come in and your team mate would go do his 1-2 laps.
When he was running, you could do quick maintenance, knock back some Gatoraid, take a leak and grab a little rest in the shade.
The bikes and riders were always somewhat fresh and the avg. speeds were much higher, more WFO...Yee-Haa!
My partner & I and forged a life-long bond & friendship...he married my sister, and lives across the street!
But he rides a big, dumb Harley...:eek:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Nice, very nice. I trust neither of you have walked across the street with a drink or a cold beer in hand! :cool:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Had a bit of an experience in that last summer, cruising at 50 mph and hit a "disguised" pot hole, felt my spine compress and had a tweaked back for a few days. Stand up and let your knees work!

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ya know...I don't really like standing up.
I just do it 'cause it works so well.

Something I do when riding standing and I get tired is...sit down. Whenever the trail is long & straight or smooth enough to permit it.
The up again when I need to "become part of the suspension".

Or sometimes I straighten my legs just briefly and tense up my leg muscles, hard & quick.
Sometimes I just squeeze my butt muscles real tight...yeah, I know - TMI!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts