TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the deal. I am old and not too computer tech savvy. I have been a long time Stereophile and love my high end equipment here at home. Not talking about my vast 33 1/3 LP vinyl album collections but about my vast collection of the CDs I have with all of our favorite music on them. Both vehicles have the premium JBL sound systems in them and USB connections to plug in portable devices such as IPads and MP3 players. The sound is great from the tiny little MP3 and Ipod players we have so here is the questions.
What are the very best of these portable gadgets that can be loaded with all my CDs, probably over 200 full albums and I really do not want anything to do with Apple Itunes or my Iphone as the storage device. Just what I think are MP3 players with lots of memory and that can store and play my tunes without too much music fidelity degradation. I would prefer to stay away from Bluetooth stuff to, just a device that plugs direct into the onboard USB that goes through the audio system in the cars.
I plan to pay some geek type kid to do all this transfer stuff and get the unit set up so instead of dragging 200 CDs in the car for road trips it will all pop up on the screen in the cars and be on a small portable device. I have FM and XM but I just want my music when I want it.

Thanks

GaryL

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I know you said not storing anything on your iPhone & iTunes Gary but I've used iTunes Match for over 5-6 years now.
Nothing/zero is stored on my phone, more than 20,000 albums stored on the cloud. And all my bootleg and private recording stuff (I have a lot of that)... they are obligated to store all of that too including all the artwork I make up myself, doesn't matter if it's on iTunes or not.

$25.00 per year, can't beat it. Again... nothing on the phone or laptop unless you want it to be. So very simple.

·
Read Only
1,175 Posts
Apple canceled the iPod classic a few years ago, but you can still find them used. 160 GB ones can hold many thousand songs. I don't know how big your library is, but it can probably fit the most important stuff. Unfortunately you still have to use iTunes to load music on there, but there aren't many other large size mp3 players out there, so you have to compromise a little.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Apple-iPod-classic-7th-Generation-Silver-160-GB/85892268

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Streaming is the way to go unless you live in an area with sketchy coverage. I’ll list ones I’ve used and recommend below.

If you absolutely do not want to stream, you can pick up cheap used (or new for that matter) iPod type devices with more than enough space for all of your CDs.

I digitized my CDs years ago but finally got tired of my daughters poking fun at me on road trips.

ITunes
Amazon Music App
YouTube
Spotify
Pandora
IHeartRadio

·
Registered
8,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just to clarify a bit. Where I live makes most of the above comments out of the picture. There is no cellular signal at all and my internet and TV have to come from satellites with severe data caps on the internet. My XM radio is also satellite and drops out around every corner. This is why I want a stand alone storage device that has no dependency upon any sort of over the air signals such as the cloud stuff. I already own 2 Eclipse MP3 Audio and video players. One has 4GB capacity and the other has 8GB capacity and both accept additional micro SD cards that have 16GB of capacity. We still have working Ipod units from Apple that were loaded with my music through Itunes which was a complete PITA.
I would suspect the 8 GB MP3 player that claims it will hold over 2,000 on it plus the 16 GB micro SD card that should triple the capacity to 6,000 songs should do the trick. It is just a matter of getting them loaded or so I think.

IMG_1917.JPG

GaryL

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
If your car has a USB input all you need is a USB memory Stick with your music on it. You may need to know what song format your audio system preference is and then fill that memory stick with your music. You also need to determine the quality (file size) of each song that you want to use.
On a side note you mentioned your portable players hold SD or mircro SD cards and these can be found now in the 256 mb sizes if your player can read that capacity. I made the mistake of buying a 256 card for Linda’s camera only to find out it would only work with cards up tp 128.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Here is the deal. I am old and not too computer tech savvy. I have been a long time Stereophile and love my high end equipment here at home. Not talking about my vast 33 1/3 LP vinyl album collections but about my vast collection of the CDs I have with all of our favorite music on them. Both vehicles have the premium JBL sound systems in them and USB connections to plug in portable devices such as IPads and MP3 players. The sound is great from the tiny little MP3 and Ipod players we have so here is the questions.
What are the very best of these portable gadgets that can be loaded with all my CDs, probably over 200 full albums and I really do not want anything to do with Apple Itunes or my Iphone as the storage device. Just what I think are MP3 players with lots of memory and that can store and play my tunes without too much music fidelity degradation. I would prefer to stay away from Bluetooth stuff to, just a device that plugs direct into the onboard USB that goes through the audio system in the cars.
I plan to pay some geek type kid to do all this transfer stuff and get the unit set up so instead of dragging 200 CDs in the car for road trips it will all pop up on the screen in the cars and be on a small portable device. I have FM and XM but I just want my music when I want it.

Thanks

GaryL
Got an old smart phone laying around? Problem solved.

Tom

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Good One.

·
Registered
8,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was thinking something like this so I can crank it up on the road. :cool:

GaryL

DSCN1682.jpg

·
Registered
168 Posts
First you need to get all of your CD's into a digital format, i.e. MP3. Once you have mp3 files of all your music/CD's, you're on the way.

https://itstillworks.com/convert-music-cds-digital-files-5735.html

From that point you have a ton of options. For example you can load up all the mp3's on an old laptop (store them there) and with your mp3 player of choice (like Winamp (it really whips the lama's ass)) go to town listening to your music. When you need it in the car, take the audio 1/8th jack output from your laptop (or device of choice) and plug it into the Aux port on your deck and vela, portable tunes. Lot's of other choices that I'm hoping others will chime in on. I'm fairly old school so I'm guessing the younger gen will provide further feedback.

BTW, I like the speaker wall! :D

·
Registered
8,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
First you need to get all of your CD's into a digital format, i.e. MP3. Once you have mp3 files of all your music/CD's, you're on the way.

https://itstillworks.com/convert-music-cds-digital-files-5735.html

From that point you have a ton of options. For example you can load up all the mp3's on an old laptop (store them there) and with your mp3 player of choice (like Winamp (it really whips the lama's ass)) go to town listening to your music. When you need it in the car, take the audio 1/8th jack output from your laptop (or device of choice) and plug it into the Aux port on your deck and vela, portable tunes. Lot's of other choices that I'm hoping others will chime in on. I'm fairly old school so I'm guessing the younger gen will provide further feedback.

BTW, I like the speaker wall! :D
Good info here David, thank you. I do need to figure out what format to use. My MP3 player plugs into my 2016 4Runner through the USB and plays perfect. It does not play at all in my wife's 2015 Lexus RX350 and I suspect it is the format I used that the Lexus does not support. Building and refurbishing big Altec speakers has been a long time hobby of mine.

GaryL

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Good info here David, thank you. I do need to figure out what format to use. My MP3 player plugs into my 2016 4Runner through the USB and plays perfect. It does not play at all in my wife's 2015 Lexus RX350 and I suspect it is the format I used that the Lexus does not support. Building and refurbishing big Altec speakers has been a long time hobby of mine.

GaryL

MP3 is a widely accepted format even for Lexus. Does that car recognize the files/folders on your player? If not it may be the way the memory on your MP3 players is formatted. FAT32 vs.............

Tom

·
Registered
292 Posts
In all seriousness, I have not found ANY of the "new" technology that is easy to use. Meaning plug and play. Everything I have tried has took me some time and effort to use. There are just too many options on all the gizmos. The cassette tape was my favourite device to play in the car. Just stick it in and start listening. Now days you have to select which device you want on the screen, find the device, find the cord to the device OR turn on bluetooth on both devices, select the right music on a very small screen, find the play button hidden somewhere on the small screen, and then hopefully something will start playing. If not, one of the two devices has some setting not just right. 30 minutes later you can then listen to your music. My how far we have come! Yes you can stuff a lot of songs on a chip but the quality is nowhere near what it used to be. It has to be compressed and chopped to get all that info in there.

I would just say go on Amazon and do a search on mp3 players and read reviews to help you find what you need. Sometimes someone will list something you never thought of.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yeah on your Audio/Speaker endeavors, very cool Gary. I'm with you on older audio gear, always trying to get a hold of old Marantz amps/receivers.

·
Registered
8,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
MP3 is a widely accepted format even for Lexus. Does that car recognize the files/folders on your player? If not it may be the way the memory on your MP3 players is formatted. FAT32 vs.............

Tom
Good point Tom. I don't get it because the same music I have on my MP3 player was also loaded onto my wife's old Apple Ipod from the exact same files on my computer. The lexus sees the Ipod and shows the cover art work and song titles on the dash screen but it refuses to see the MP3 player at all. What Apolloha said is as real as rain for us old Analog guys trying to navigate in this digital world. My old Altec speakers sound great on my old Sansui G-8000 and G-9000 receivers but they sound like crap with my new and very fancy Onkyo surround sound receiver that claims to have 175 watts/ channel. The Sansui's will blow the doors off the Onkyo at have the volume knob position.

GaryL

·
Registered
8,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah on your Audio/Speaker endeavors, very cool Gary. I'm with you on older audio gear, always trying to get a hold of old Marantz amps/receivers.
YUP! Marantz and Sansui amps and receivers made during the stereo wars called the Golden Age 1968-1978 are probably the best there ever was or has been. My Sansuis are 42 and 44 years old and still sound great and work perfect. I loved the warm sound from Marantz units but they were a PITA to keep the background lights working. I had some real high end cassette players back in those days but the tapes themselves go bad over time and use while my CDs never skip a beat if properly cared for. As far as sound quality after converting CDs to digital I have to disagree as long as the conversion is done at the HQ setting. Too many folks try to rip the CDs to digital on a faster and lower quality setting and that is where the sound quality falls off quick. I spent most of my young adult years chasing after perfect sound from my vinyl records and with high end turntables, tone arms and cartridges and once the CDs came on the scene there was no comparison. I still have the tables and vinyl records but very rarely ever spin them.

GaryL

1 - 18 of 18 Posts