TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently noticed many ATVs and some other offroad vehicles sporting whip flags. To me they seem fun like you're driving a remote control, and it makes you more visible over hills. To those unfamiliar they can be lit up with LEDs or just a tall flexible pole with a small flag.

I ordered a spring mount to hold and prolong the life of my flag pole (driveway marker) with a pennant flag mounted on it. Ironically the set screw is drilled off center at the top of the spring so I'm concerned it may actually shorter the life of the pole because the edge of the screw is chewing into the pole. I may have to drill/tap another hole. I have it all assembled and I'm just waiting for my heatshrink to cover the orange fiberglass pole.

Once it's complete I'll post it up but since it's too cold/slippery to ride I'm curious to hear your experiences or opinions about them...What do ya think?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,259 Posts
I'm tempted to say it's a good idea - in theory - but having watched this one http://tw200forum.com/forum/off-topic/33218-no-tws-were-harmed-crash-burn-video.html I doubt that a flag would have done much good.

Most of those crashes (head ons) were the result of going too fast to stop - or watching the trail rather than the flag on the horizon telling you what's coming - though I did enjoy the guys blocking the road over a crest (no accounting for stupidity)

Still - if it saves you or someone else even once, it's worth doing ......

·
Registered
13,727 Posts
Good in open areas with no trees and low brush, sand dunes etc. In the woods, not so much. Plus you could have the flag hitting overhead branches and what not but I'm guessing your not talking about riding in the woods.

·
Registered
20,387 Posts
The flag is a requirement in many sand dune riding areas for good reasons. I would likely keep catching my boot on the pole while getting on and off the bike.
Did I just say "Getting off" on a family forum? Sorry kids, cover your eyes.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
a flag would've impaled that guy that landed on top of the other racer in the jump. almost deserved it

·
Registered
20,387 Posts
Some of us rebellious former colonials have a hard time reading and following instructions so the few "One Way Trails" are no guarantee of one way traffic.
Moab's Sand Flat Recreation Area for one has installed "One Way" signs on several trails but I saw incomplete compliance and no enforcement efforts last year.
Towing Plumbstraight's miss-behaving TW out of Fins-n-Things we took a few wrong turns as the rental side-byside we hijacked seemed to be totally lost. No one heading opposite directions complained, just looked at us funny.

Edit: Randall's machine suffered a stator failure with out any prior warning at bottom of a sand pit at edge of a steep rocky climb. Not a good place for a breakdown.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Flags and one way trails are both good, unforunately there is not regulation outside of Silver Lake sand dunes in MI. I doubt you would get the lot lizards and bufoons who cause 95% of the problems to comply without enforcement anyway. Although load exhaust threaten our riding areas, I do like being able to hear the idiots coming. It seems the dumber the rider/driver the louder the afermarket pipe.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Flags and one way trails are both good, unforunately there is not regulation outside of Silver Lake sand dunes in MI. I doubt you would get the lot lizards and bufoons who cause 95% of the problems to comply without enforcement anyway. Although load exhaust threaten our riding areas, I do like being able to hear the idiots coming. It seems the dumber the rider/driver the louder the afermarket pipe.
It seems the dumber the rider/driver the louder the afermarket pipe................... them sound all most like fighting words

·
Registered
302 Posts
. Although load exhaust threaten our riding areas, I do like being able to hear the idiots coming. It seems the dumber the rider/driver the louder the afermarket pipe.
Our Polaris was someone's mud toy before I bought it and rebuilt the whole damn thing. Had a "performance" car muffler welded on. Couldn't hear each other screaming at one another while it was running. You can kinda see it in this picture PICS 529.jpg

·
Registered
302 Posts
PICS 528.jpg
Wow, you had to but some wrench time into that Polaris. Did it turn out nice when finished?
And yes I think safety flags are helpful in the right environment, plus scientific data yet to be discovered says that they make TWs 25 lbs lighter.
The original plastics and racks were trashed pretty bad when I got it. the fenders on it now (pictured) are from a 99 model

·
Registered
779 Posts
It seems the dumber the rider/driver the louder the afermarket pipe................... them sound all most like fighting words
it is an observation, there always exceptions to the rule! it applies to some of my friends too!

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
All the Oregon dunes require flags, a permit and a driver safety education card.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts