TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you do with another hundred hosepower? Would you get into trouble?
Seriously I got passed by a sportbike on the freeway this morning. He started pulling a wheelie for several hundreds of yards as he slowly passed me. My first thought was "idiot in t-shirt and tennis shoes". Then I realised he was totally in control, pricisely varying the angle he would hold the wheel up every couple of seconds as if practicing precise throttle control. Impressive stuff, got me thinking would I try to build similar skills if I had similar power and sophisticated machinery. I thought he was reckless, but is it any different than our exploring the off-road limits of our skills and bikes capabilities? What do you think?

·
Super Moderator
18,138 Posts
Been there, done that. I just want to live these days to see and ride another day.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I personally like bigger displacement bikes with 100-125 HP. I mostly appreciate the torque you can get out of a bigger motor but I am I also like some HP to go along with it.

I will say in a light bike 75hp (give or take) can be plenty. The new FZ-07 is a good example. I would like to try the KTM duke 690 with similar power in a yet lighter bike.

On the other hand above around 150hp gets to be too much for the street for me. I do like the Ducati Multstrada but it is a lot of power and tends to make me want to ride too fast.

Sport bikes that don't get going until 10k RPM are of limited use for my style of riding so no amount of HP matters with them.

I am a big fan of the BMW boxer especially in the configuration in the R1200GSA. About perfect for me.

On the other hand the little TW appeals to the kid in me so I appreciate that aspect too.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I love watching these very accomplished cyclists doing wheelies and other highly technical maneuvers. Some of these guys are really good just like the motocrossers I love watching race and jump. Too bad I have little regard for any of this out on the open roads! MC riders should reserve these stunts for the controlled tracks and private paved areas set aside for such activities and respect the open roads for legal riding. I don't care how good a rider might be, when he starts doing stunts on the highways and open roads he becomes a big AH.

The road I live on is a favorite for large groups of bikers and on nice days I can count hundreds if not thousands traveling past. Most are very reserved but there are a lot going twice the speed limits. My county has one of the highest vehicle/wildlife accident rates in the state and my road is right at the top of the list for deer and bear crashes. My insurance rates are much higher because of this and when a MC crashes with a deer or bear it is usually deadly. Between my wife and me we have crashed 4 times in the last 10 years and that is in cars or trucks usually doing under the posted speed. The rescue squad has scraped 6 bodies off my road in recent history from MC/Wildlife accidents. I am not so old that I can't see the joy of blasting down a nice winding road on a super bike. It just hurts when I see or hear of the crashes.

GaryL

Reactions: scotti158 and Fred

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Natural selection? At least in the cases of foolishness. Tragic accident applies in all other situations.

Tom

·
Registered
470 Posts
My KTM 990 has right about 100 more HP than the TW. Honestly, I do dumber things on the TW. :)

Reactions: Fred

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
In the past I could wheelie my KLR through the gears but I've seen too many You Tube videos of wheelies and stoppies going bad in a hurry to try it anymore. When I look down at the road doing 60 mph, it looks like a sanding belt just waiting to "sand down" the next victim.

·
Registered
264 Posts
In the past I could wheelie my KLR through the gears but I've seen too many You Tube videos of wheelies and stoppies going bad in a hurry to try it anymore. When I look down at the road doing 60 mph, it looks like a sanding belt just waiting to "sand down" the next victim.

I agree. Asphalt is just really coarse sandpaper.

·
Registered
185 Posts
No need for a hundred more horse power. I've had my TW on one wheel at 80 kmh (48 mph?) before. It gets really difficult any faster than that though, because with the front wheel up high at that speed, your using 10 of your 13 horsepower just to maintain speed. A slight mistake in throttle control leaves you only 3 hp to bring that front back up if it dropped a bit too low. I've realized lately though after scaring myself a couple times, that if I want to live without half of my body smeared on the pavement, that I should consider the consequences if I fall, and I have basically stopped that kind of riding and have been using my TW for what it was meant for. I think the occasional wheelie is fine, as long as you're not endangering anyone else, or making others think that you're a jerk. I don't want to be part of the "idiot in t-shirt and tennis shoes" stereotype. Anyone seen videos of the "wildout wheelie boyz" on YouTube?

·
Registered
814 Posts
Yep, been there done that. I don't play when there is another vehicle around. Wheelying near you was a violation of your safety. He joins the rank of AH. The TW doesn't have the structure to support very many more ponies. I get a weave going at 75 in a corner with a cross wind. Not a tank slapper but could be if I fight it. If you are hungry for power and handling, look at Erik Buell Racing's 1190RX.
1190RX « Erik Buell Racing

·
Registered
7,211 Posts
It would be cool if I could do a wheelie ad nauseam (or is it ad infinitum ????) but chances are I would have to pay a big price learning how to do it.

I will dream about being able to do it and leave it at that.

BTW, do you think the rider you saw had "air ambulance insurance" ? Does Obamacare cover helicopter rides? I know I am being a troll..... Tony

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Well, I've done wheelies on every two wheeled motor vehicle I've owned (and just about all the ones I've ridden - many!). You don't need that kind of power to wheelie, although for highway speed wheelies, you sure do! My 331 will pull nice easy power wheelies in first gear with minimal effort. My Ninja 500 that I used to own didn't have a hundred more horsepower than a TW, but it was gettin' there...lol. It's fun riding something that's A LOT faster than 99% of cars on the road. I had a hoot on that thing just pulling up to stop lights next to cars and KNOWING that I could ABSOLUTELY SMOKE THEM, and then DOING it, FREQUENTLY! I would be at a light, lane splitting between two rows of cars, and pull into absolute adrenaline pumping, blistering acceleration, with a fat wheelie thrown in here and there just for good measure, and end up 20 car lengths ahead at 80 mph within seconds, as the cars to my sides accelerated at "normal" speeds! It's a great feeling looking back from that position and seeing how much distance you just put between yourself and the cars that were beside you less than 10 seconds ago! Ultimately I sold the Ninja and replaced it with my KLX 331 project build, because I eventually reached the unfortunate conclusion that a bike like that, let alone a far more powerful one, couldn't be used to anywhere near it's potential without serious risk of imprisonment, license revocation, massive fines, etc. To me at least, constantly worrying about cops while you ride gets old, as does constantly cruising at the speed limit on a bike with such immense capacity for ludicrous speeds, easily double or even triple the posted speed limits... I'm just happy that I had the balls to give the finger to the man for a few years and do whatever the fuck I wanted on a street bike. Excuse my course language but I have very strong feelings on this subject. Even at those kinds of speeds though, I was never stupid or reckless (in spite of what SOME people may say...), always in control and level headed, paying attention to my surroundings, not making stupid mistakes, etc.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I personally like bigger displacement bikes with 100-125 HP. I mostly appreciate the torque you can get out of a bigger motor but I am I also like some HP to go along with it.

I will say in a light bike 75hp (give or take) can be plenty. The new FZ-07 is a good example. I would like to try the KTM duke 690 with similar power in a yet lighter bike.

On the other hand above around 150hp gets to be too much for the street for me. I do like the Ducati Multstrada but it is a lot of power and tends to make me want to ride too fast.

Sport bikes that don't get going until 10k RPM are of limited use for my style of riding so no amount of HP matters with them.

I am a big fan of the BMW boxer especially in the configuration in the R1200GSA. About perfect for me.

On the other hand the little TW appeals to the kid in me so I appreciate that aspect too.
Stephen
Don't test ride a Multi unless you plan on buying one....
When i bought mine i was fully intentioned on buying a 1200GS strictly for a road bike since i like standards and wanted over 1000cc. One ride on the Multi made me forget about the GS. The motor is magical with more mid range grunt than any bike really needs and it handles brilliantly to boot. I own the sport model with the electronic suspension and ABS and it all works really well. The engine modes are neat but mine is in "sport" mode 99% of the time. I like the full 150hp and ultra quick trouser filling throttle response. My friends that have ridden it generally are in awe when they get off it. I have zero regrets choosing it over a GS, if i had a do over it would be the same outcome, its truly that special of a motorcycle.

·
Registered
20,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My original post (OP) question was more philosophical in intent, i.e. with ridiculous power in whatever machine you care to mention would you show restraint? Or sound the depths of performance , indulge in occasional bouts of what others consider hooliganism but you consider skill building?
I have been enjoying your responses and know many of you have some serious high performance experience. There are just so many hot machines around and so few track day opportunities.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I find it very hard to show restraint when im on my duc, very hard. The machine just begs to be ridden hard and fast, it's what it's built to do. It's no fun crusing around on it at 35-45. That's why around where I live where it's densely populated I ride the TW a lot more, I can buzz around at a reasonable speed and not be breaking laws or putting others in danger. The duc spends a lot of time on mountian roads in rural areas where the speed limits are higher and it's more at home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
previously had 2 Honda CBR 600RR sportbikes with just over 100hp and 1 much lighter Husqvarna SM510R supermoto with around 60hp...had way more fun on the husky...in my opinion the fun is in the light weight bikes with decent horsepower...as far as the stunting goes i don't think it belongs on well traveled roads where you could hurt someone else (usually where the dumb a$$hats do it)...stay on the roads where no one is or in an abandoned lot (usually where the smart skilled riders do it)...but i would imagine it would be expensive to learn to do all those tricks really well so it would take a junk bike and a good stunt cage...

I would like to try the KTM duke 690 with similar power in a yet lighter bike.
^^^this is the bike i would get if i were to go back to sportbikes

1 - 17 of 17 Posts