TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK,
So im sick and twisted and I went and looked last night at local CL and saw someone just listed a 1974 Honda CB 350, Four,
This model has been on my bucket list for 20 years and they have always been too expensive for my thoughts, Or too far from stock, Or plain old too shitty for me to deal with,
Now this one showed up,
While its tired looking, It runs well with no smoke, The carbs do need cleaning and the petcock needs a rebuild, "Pencil in fuel line".
Over all a nice winter project, Im guessing about 20 hours or less to make it a super solid 4 cylinder sewing machine,
You have to appreciate the fact thats its a 4 cylinder and was the smallest displacement 4 cylinder production bike of its time,
Bore is 47mm and stroke is 50mm,
6 main bearings and 5 speeds,
The CB350 Twin was faster and more powerful, But this thing is smoooooooth,
Parts availability seem plentiful and I will comment that at 50*, This thing starts with a touch of the starter button or a lazy kick or two from the kick starter,
Its going to be a fun spring on this,
Im thinking it will replace the TW for in town runs and the TW can enjoy more off road duties,
Yes, I know,
I don't need another bike,
I don't need more toys,
But I have wanted the 350 Four since the 80s and one should follow their dreams ! ! !
I didn't want the 400 Four, Just the 350,
I know the exhaust is not stock, But otherwise its a pretty original example of a hard to find bike at a low cost to me,
~ ~ ~
Anyone here have one?
Would love to hear your stories ! !
Peter B.
cb350.jpg
Im bringing it to work tomorrow where I can keep in a nice heated space and steal an hour here and there to tinker during my work day ! !

More pics,
cb1.jpg cb2.jpg cb3.jpg cb350.jpg

·
Registered
416 Posts
From a guy that has owned 4 TW's at the same time, all I can say is "Nicely Done"!! ;)

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
SWEEEEEEEET! Now I see why your '87 is for sale. I would not sell my '87. I would sell my '99.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Another bike is ALWAYS needed :) Congrats. I'm deviously plotting my next purchase even now (although it probably doesn't currently exist...).

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
That is a cool bike. My brother inlaw had a 550 4 I kinda liked it never rode it though. I can't imagine balancing 4 carbs. I had an old volvo with twin carbs that always seened out of sync. I could never get them perfect.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Catch it if you can!

LOL!!
Are you all making fun of me?
~ ~ ~ ~
You know we all need a hobby and mine is tinkering,
Ive built boilers and AC systems for the past 25 years and many many years ago I was between jobs, I found that if I didn't keep building or fixing things I would get depressed and watch a lot of TV.
~ ~ ~
Yes in a way the new 350F is a way to keep happy, So in the sense I get to fix and put something mechanically right, I am guilty of this action,
Yet the 350 Four has been on a list so long, Even my wife does a local CL search from time to time hoping to find one for me,
Aside from the exhaust, This one is original which makes it an easy starting point,
~ ~ ~
My current job is~ Keeping 700+ water source heat pumps, Steam, Hydronic systems, Hot water plants all working and keeping 700,000 SqFt heated or cooled,
So, Im still fixin shit to keep happy.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
No matter,
One TW up for sale and the 350F moves into my operating room today !
Pics to come

·
Registered
88 Posts
That is a cool bike. My brother inlaw had a 550 4 I kinda liked it never rode it though. I can't imagine balancing 4 carbs. I had an old volvo with twin carbs that always seened out of sync. I could never get them perfect.
Think synch was the problem on my CB360. Although it would easily maintain 70mph I kinda felt like that was pushing fate on a 40 year old bike whose earlier models had a cam chain slipper (or something??) that had been recalled due to locking up the motor and crashing! :eek:

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
1974 was a real dominate year for Japanese motorcycle manufacturing, especially Honda. Also the year I bought my second motorcycle and my first brand-new one, a 1974 Honda CL450. Way to heavy for what you'd consider dirt riding but it had that off-road "Scrambler" look with dual high side pipes. In fact it was just a CB450 with those high pipes. The CB 350 also had a sister "CL"350. I opted for the 100cc more 450. That bike rode all over the country. If I ever saw another one still stock for sale I'd buy it.
Nice find and good luck with it. Getting harder to find these old bikes not chopped up or modified already. But they are out there sitting in garages and basements. They certainly made a ton of them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts