1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
18 Posts
I wonder if this is anyone on this forum, but I found a newer TW200 converted to a trike!

It looks to be a home made contraption. I'm not sure the amount of fabrication involved, but I have to give him an A for effort.

Is this a kit that can be purchased or do you guys think it is a home build?

Check out the link...

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-ATVs-snowmobiles-ATVs-Yamaha-TW-200-W0QQAdIdZ260337426

I don't get it? why?

I could see if it had a large rack on the back and was towing a trailer maybe?

I bet she's a ton of fun though

·
Super Moderator
652 Posts
Now there's a coincidence. That bike is for sale in Crooked Creek, Alberta, which is a small town in northern Alberta with about 1000 residents. Another forum member posted a link to ADV adventure rider trip that was taken by a rider from Crooked Creek (in fact that's his handle on ADV).

http://tw200forum.com/index.php?/topic/1348-a-rr-about-the-alcan-and-cassiar/page__p__11292__hl__cassiar__fromsearch__1#entry11292

It looks like a homebuilt kit for sure.

There is a long time forum member (from the old forum) that has a three wheeled TW. On this forum he goes by trikester, only his bike has two wheel up front...

·
Registered
369 Posts
It looks like someone attached a quad rear axle to it. would be scarey to ride on the pavement with the solid rear axle.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I can guess that it would still be some work to have a quad axle bolted up to the TW rear end. I can only imagine...

Seems pretty narrow, but it would be good for getting into tight spaces, but would be lacking on the stability end around corners.

vuldub, do you have any photos of the trike with 2 wheels in the front? I'm building one right now as well with a CRF230L and 400EX front end. I used a TW200 rear rim and had it mounted to my CRF hub. I could defiantly use the photos for idea's as there are not many of these floating around. I think they call these reverse trike "tadpole" trikes.

Thanks,

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Waste of a good TW, and i'll wager money not half the 3-wheeler of an ATC200.

·
Registered
106 Posts
thats pretty neat. have you ever seen the way the police rig up there bikes for winter riding for like funeral precessions and stuff. its kinda like training wheels on a bicycle. kinda goofy but they look like they work pretty well.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Waste of a good TW, and i'll wager money not half the 3-wheeler of an ATC200.

Exactly. My ATC200X had a lot stronger motor than the TW has. Only benefit that would be is if the guy can't physically ride a two wheeler any more and he needed something street legal. It'd be hard to get an ATC street legal. Although, people have done dumber things.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
vuldub and TW-Brian, thanks for the photos.

I've sent a PM to trikester and sraab928. Hopefully they reply. Very neat machine indeed. The tadpole trike (i think) is a much superior design to having 2 wheels in the back. Its more work to do (more moving parts) but more stable

·
Registered
866 Posts
I wonder how cool it would be if you had two in the back and two in the front. The TW could secretly be the world's best 4-wheeler.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wonder how cool it would be if you had two in the back and two in the front. The TW could secretly be the world's best 4-wheeler.

4 wheels are cool, but not street legal in most of North America because it is classified as a vehicle, not just a motorbike and certification is much more stringent.

3 wheels are the closest most will get to a street legal quad, unless you live in Europe or some unrestricted state.

Off-road only use is a different story, but most would argue a purpose built ATV would be better than a home built one without sinking some serious time and cash into it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If I had the cash, this is what I would make. Trike without any of the balance issues associated with 3 wheels :) I think this will run you about $50k or so if you could even bring it into North America. I think it is from Europe...?

·
Registered
46 Posts
If I had the cash, this is what I would make. Trike without any of the balance issues associated with 3 wheels :) I think this will run you about $50k or so if you could even bring it into North America. I think it is from Europe...?
the Piaggio 3-wheelers are a LOT less than $50k

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
To hell with the pig ios! The tadpole in Uncle Jemimas photos is probably Norwegian built. They have had a thing like that based on a KTM rear unit for some years and have been trying to get it street legal. The price about 4 years ago was over twenty thousand and that was for an off road model.

I have seen videos of it racing around a snow covered track. It looks like a real hoot.

Phelonius

BTW there is a draw back to the tadpole design. With no fenders, and probably even with fenders, the rider is going to get drenched by any water on the road. Say nothing of mud.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Street legal ATC? Here you go. This guy must really be in with someone at the dmv
Saw it on craigslist as being street legal..........

what's next?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts