TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. This is my first post. I've been searching this forum for old posts trying to find resistance readings for the old style stator / source coil. My bike cuts out due to erratic spark once warmed up. I took the side cover off and the larger square coil is pretty dark looking and looks burned up but I want to test it.

I guess I can't post a photo till I get my post count up.

Thanks
Mike

Registered
Hi there and welcome to the forum

Here is the answers to your question and then you just have to click on the link below to download the full service and repair manual of the TW. All the best and I hope you'll get your bike sorted out soon!

Chapter 7 page 29 is the place where I found the readings for you

Link - TW200 1987 - 2001 Full Service and Repair Manual

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I get 0.2 of an ohm at room temperature. Supposed to be 0.3-0.5 I've been searching around for my better multimeter to double check. The thread wrap definitely look like they got some heat but old oil would also stain them? The windings themselves look bright..?? Why couldn't the readings be way out of wack !!

Registered
Taking a second look, well yes they might be still OK, if you put everything back together again, start the bike up and check if it charges at 14-15 Volt at the battery @ 5000 rpm then you know everything is fine.

If the problem is not the stator then I have a suspicion that you have a faulty CDI, it is quite common with the older bikes for the CDI to be faulty, I had to replace mine 2 months ago

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Well I bought some winding wire of the right size and pulled the old windings off. Ohmed the windings once off and stretched out and they gave the same readings as they did when wrapped 0.2 ohm
So it's wasn't that. Pulled off the same length of new wire and ohmed it. 0.2 ohm (on my 2 meters) Rewound the core with new wire. Bike ran the same, obviously. Put the timing light on it and tried to ride around the back yard without crashing. Still erratic spark starting about 1/3rd throttle. Researched CDI issues, got a price, nearly cried. Swapped out the ignition coil with a generic one I had here for a chinese pit bike engine.
Ran like BRAND NEW.
Should have ohmed out the Ignition coil before I pulled the side cover off. If I hadn't pulled the cover I wouldn't have seen how nasty and black the stator was.

If anyone wants one of these early Stators rewound I'll do it for you.
Rewind.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts