TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
23,568 Posts
It will be interesting to see what information they want from us under the guise of an "education requirement".
I'll go ahead and take the course, I'm not an insurrectionist after all. Just get tired of submitting personal data during most every interaction with any government related entity. Irritation comes when the info required is already on file with them.

·
Registered
213 Posts
For those asking why under 18 pay, it's just like boating requirements in many States. People under 18 can't vote. Then, the govt typically raises the age requirements slowly and everyone younger is used to the testing/licensing requirements and doesn't complain as they age.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
If I ever go to MOAB / Utah I will take the course and test so I can be legal but the noose is tightening. Sometime in the not to distant future you will have to make reservations to use your vehicles at places like MOAB. The places you can ride will become more and more limited and the number of visitors per year will also be limited.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
This is just the sort of reason why I camo my bike. The last thing I want to do on vacation is talk to an LEO of any kind.
Anything you say can and will be used against you. Now there's a fair warning and a lesson to boot.
View attachment 231884
This is just the sort of reason why I camo my bike. The last thing I want to do on vacation is talk to an LEO of any kind.
Anything you say can and will be used against you. Now there's a fair warning and a lesson to boot.
View attachment 231884
You still have a little work to do. For full cloaking you need to paint your tires and put camo covers on your mirrors. After you do that you will need the little tracker your bike so you can find it when you can't find it. Great job on the camo.

·
Registered
1999 TW-200
299 Posts
If I ever go to MOAB / Utah I will take the course and test so I can be legal but the noose is tightening. Sometime in the not to distant future you will have to make reservations to use your vehicles at places like MOAB. The places you can ride will become more and more limited and the number of visitors per year will also be limited.
The park already has a reservation system in place for the White Rim Trail. If they did not, the trail would easily get overcrowded. There simply are too many people in Moab at certain times of the year, so if you plan it, avoid the high traffic months.

That being said, I highly recommend Moab, it's so far my favorite place to ride off pavement. We did the WRT clockwise, and it by far exceeded any expectation I had. My favorite month is Sept, a little cooler, very dry, and crowds are manageable.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
PAY THE TAX.
Yep, at least riding off road is not banned.
Circa 1987, senator Alan Cranston (donkey party) worked with BLM to close a major portion of the ridng area south of Randsburg, west of Cuddeback Dry Lake in the name of soil conservation/fauna protection. Famaliarity with the area is necessary to fully understand the stupidity, as the area is riddled with mine shafts and bulldozed areas from the 1930s.

·
Registered
23,568 Posts
The growing crowds, regulations and kicked-up anthill feel of Moab proper is offset by ability to still get away and ride in beauty and solitude. Places like this along the White Rim Trail can get the group spread out affording pleasant rides watching the world flow past.
Sky Bedrock Terrain Formation Outcrop

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
You still have a little work to do. For full cloaking you need to paint your tires and put camo covers on your mirrors. After you do that you will need the little tracker your bike so you can find it when you can't find it. Great job on the camo.
That's an older photo. Mirrors are RAM mount and fold down when riding so they don't show. I'm working with camo tape for bark busters, forks. I have Krylon plastic paint for the tires but discovered a light coating of WD40 and a ride though the dust does a better job of coloring for tires.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
We are heading to Moab on Thanksgiving heading home Sunday if anyone is planning to be there. It's an annual trip for us unless the weather sucks
Weather is looking good, just cold

Product Font Screenshot Software Technology

Reactions: Ken

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
However, the forecast was clear the day before this photo was taken along highway 12, west of Bryce Canyon!

Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Fuel tank

·
Registered
160 Posts
I vacation every year in Utah. Up until three years ago most of my time was spent in Moab; I've been there at least 12 times for a week since '08, mostly in the Spring but I've made a couple of trips in the Fall as well. I stopped going there because it's getting too crowded. I didn't feel safe taking less-experinced friends on some of the trails there because of crowding/speeding issues; even trails which are less-popular or are out in the back-country have been torn-up by overuse.

So my group and I started spending our time in the Bryce Canyon area. Much less crowded, closer to home (eight hour drive from So.Cal. as opposed to 13) just as scenic and we've made friends with some great people in that area!

That said, I do buy out-of-state OHV permits for my Quads which go with me. Last year I bought them at the Courthouse in Panguitch; took less then 15 minutes and most of that time was spent getting ideas from the staff on trails which they recommended.

I'll plan on taking the course too just so I don't have to worry about not being in compliance. I do wish that it wasn't a requirement for street-plated vehicles since most of the time I'm riding my TW or driving my street-legal VW Dune Buggy but it son't stop me from going there.

I've also never been stopped or had to deal with any LEO when I've been on the trails in in Utah. I have had to argue with a Ranger at the entrance gate to Canyonlands about whether or not my Manx Dune Buggy was highway legal or just street legal. Eventually they decided to let me in (it's highway legal; UTV's are only Street Legal).

BTW Arizona has been doing the permit thing for the past few years too. In the winter I make a trip to the Flagstaff area in my 4x4 and TW and every year I end-up buying permits so I can drive on (or cross) tribal lands and State Trust Lands. Again, I've never been stopped but if someday I am I'd rather just show my papers and be on my way.

I'm okay with it as long as the funds collected go back into the recreation areas. Whether they do or not, who knows.

·
Super Moderator
14,185 Posts
I suppose the title of this thread could be "OHV Educational Requirements Which Will Affect Moab 23/Utah". As it appears now it looks like it's the Moab 23 Planning Thread. It could get confusing unless there is no Moab 23!
As an aside, since the OHV stickers came up in the thread, a Utah DNR Officer checked to see if our RZR had an OHV tag while parked at Willow Springs. Did not check the TWs as they are street-legal even if used offroad. As most of you already are aware, Willow Springs & Dalton Wells are now part of the Utah Raptor State Park, and no longer is it BLM-controlled land.

·
Registered
1999 TW-200
299 Posts
I vacation every year in Utah. Up until three years ago most of my time was spent in Moab; I've been there at least 12 times for a week since '08, mostly in the Spring but I've made a couple of trips in the Fall as well. I stopped going there because it's getting too crowded. I didn't feel safe taking less-experinced friends on some of the trails there because of crowding/speeding issues; even trails which are less-popular or are out in the back-country have been torn-up by overuse.

So my group and I started spending our time in the Bryce Canyon area. Much less crowded, closer to home (eight hour drive from So.Cal. as opposed to 13) just as scenic and we've made friends with some great people in that area!

That said, I do buy out-of-state OHV permits for my Quads which go with me. Last year I bought them at the Courthouse in Panguitch; took less then 15 minutes and most of that time was spent getting ideas from the staff on trails which they recommended.

I'll plan on taking the course too just so I don't have to worry about not being in compliance. I do wish that it wasn't a requirement for street-plated vehicles since most of the time I'm riding my TW or driving my street-legal VW Dune Buggy but it son't stop me from going there.

I've also never been stopped or had to deal with any LEO when I've been on the trails in in Utah. I have had to argue with a Ranger at the entrance gate to Canyonlands about whether or not my Manx Dune Buggy was highway legal or just street legal. Eventually they decided to let me in (it's highway legal; UTV's are only Street Legal).

BTW Arizona has been doing the permit thing for the past few years too. In the winter I make a trip to the Flagstaff area in my 4x4 and TW and every year I end-up buying permits so I can drive on (or cross) tribal lands and State Trust Lands. Again, I've never been stopped but if someday I am I'd rather just show my papers and be on my way.

I'm okay with it as long as the funds collected go back into the recreation areas. Whether they do or not, who knows.
When we did the Burr Trail I think we saw maybe half a dozen vehicles all day...all cars/trucks.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I suppose the title of this thread could be "OHV Educational Requirements Which Will Affect Moab 23/Utah". As it appears now it looks like it's the Moab 23 Planning Thread. It could get confusing unless there is no Moab 23!
As an aside, since the OHV stickers came up in the thread, a Utah DNR Officer checked to see if our RZR had an OHV tag while parked at Willow Springs. Did not check the TWs as they are street-legal even if used offroad. As most of you already are aware, Willow Springs & Dalton Wells are now part of the Utah Raptor State Park, and no longer is it BLM-controlled land.
Just for you Admiral, I changed the title

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
so there may not be a fee for the decal (or printed sheet of paper) BUT there is a fee for the online safety course

Do I need a Utah Non-Resident OHV Permit?
If a street-legal OHV is registered and has a license plate from your home state, and it meets all of Utah’s street-legal requirements, then you do not need to purchase a Utah Non-Resident OHV Permit.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts