TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,185 Posts
I'm still in shock Utah of all places initiated this rider education program...mainly because it appears you will pay to take the course! If it was free free that would be one thing but almost 35 dollars. Hopefully, they will start charging hikers, mtn bikers, and rock climbers some kind of safety course as well and not just the motorized crowd. Maybe they do already but to charge anyone feels like a shakedown by the state!
Of the places we ride, so far for the TWs we have to buy an ohv type of sticker for Idaho, Oregon, Wyoming, Black Hills, and Arizona. Same for the RZR but add Utah to the list since our RZR is not street legal thus needing an ohv sticker. Add more cost to AZ if you are planning to stay (camp) on State Trust Land and Native American Reservations if you plan on riding on reservation land.

·
Administrator
6,918 Posts
How else are you going to discover Plumbstraights footprints ? - worth 35 bucks any day ......

(You either get this, or you don't - you kinda had to be there)

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm still in shock Utah of all places initiated this rider education program...mainly because it appears you will pay to take the course! If it was free free that would be one thing but almost 35 dollars. Hopefully, they will start charging hikers, mtn bikers, and rock climbers some kind of safety course as well and not just the motorized crowd. Maybe they do already but to charge anyone feels like a shakedown by the state!
Of the places we ride, so far for the TWs we have to buy an ohv type of sticker for Idaho, Oregon, Wyoming, Black Hills, and Arizona. Same for the RZR but add Utah to the list since our RZR is not street legal thus needing an ohv sticker. Add more cost to AZ if you are planning to stay (camp) on State Trust Land and Native American Reservations if you plan on riding on reservation land.
Sadly, it doesn't surprise me. Talking with friends who live in Utah and are avid off-roaders, there isn't a lot of love for out-of-state OHVers. Sadly some bad actors have ruined it for all of us. I agree, if one form of off-road recreation is going to be charged a fee, then they all should be. I won't be holding my breath that will happen though.

My non-offroading GF always laughs every year at all the permits I end-up buying for our annual four-wheeling trip in Arizona. The first year we did it the idea of having to pay to drive on unimproved roads in the middle of nowhere in a street-legal vehicle amused her.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Whoa whoa whoa, folks. There is way to much speculation here getting undies twisted when we can read the literature, or the bill itself*. Let's get some stuff straight...
1. This will NOT apply to those of us who will just ride our plated TWs, as they are highway legal, no that is confusing, let's call them interstate legal vehicles. With a valid regular ol' driver's license we can operate them on or off road without taking this course or needing a OHV sticker. So really this thread could be renamed again to: "OHV Educational Requirements Which Will NOT Affect riders of plated TWs in Moab 23/Utah"
2. If you are going to operate a vehicle you couldn't otherwise drive on an interstate...ATVs, SxSs, dirt bikes, etc., then yes you will need to pony up for the sticker and take the FREE 15-30 minute class.
3. Yes, this brand new class will be FREE if you are over 18!
4. Under 18 without a driver's license will need to take the existing YOUTH course that already costs $35. This course has a REQUIRED EXAM component and is operated by a third party. My opinion is that this course is different than the new course will be because it will focus on children actually learning how to operate their vehicles...here is the throttle, here is the brake, here is how to corner, etc.
5. The new class--- "The program shall be designed to develop and instill the knowledge, attitudes, habits, and skills necessary for the safe operation of an off-highway vehicle. Components of the program shall include:
(i) the preparation and dissemination of off-highway vehicle information and safety advice to the public and the training of off-highway vehicle operators[.];
(ii) education concerning the importance of gates and fences used in agriculture and how to properly close a gate; and
(iii) education concerning respectful, sustainable, and on-trail off-highway vehicle operation, and respect for communities affected by off-highway vehicle operation.
6. The new course is not even available until January 1, 2023, so don't go taking the one linked by PlacerLode, unless you want to for sh%ts and giggles because it is not the official one.

I tend to agree with Fred as to the reason this was made a requirement, to get past the "I didn't know." people. As always, the few sucks out there are a burden to those of us that are responsible.

*HB0180

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
TW200 is not an OHV, doesn't apply to us. And no. I do not consider the TW200 a street legal off highway vehicle. Neither does Yamaha.

At least it's free and it's lifetime.
All true.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I read it that you just need the card, no permit for street legal vehicles.

There are just too many operators with high powered machines tearing up the trails and going wherever they want. Common sense seems to be lacking in the world today and replace by self entitlement so my guess is that the operator card requirement is an attempt to educate users and eliminate the excuse “I didn’t know …”
Street legal, highway legal, it is all convoluted now since Off Highway Vehicles can be fitted with turn signals and the like so they can get a street legal registration, but they still have restrictions, mainly that they cannot travel on the interstate like a true regular street licensed vehicle can. If you can drive your vehicle on the interstate, then you don't need the class or the sticker.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
For those asking why under 18 pay, it's just like boating requirements in many States. People under 18 can't vote. Then, the govt typically raises the age requirements slowly and everyone younger is used to the testing/licensing requirements and doesn't complain as they age.
Under 18 without a driver's license pay for the different, already established YOUTH course that requires passing an exam. It is also ran by a third party.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
...I do wish that it wasn't a requirement for street-plated vehicles since most of the time I'm riding my TW or driving my street-legal VW Dune Buggy but it son't stop me from going there.
It doesn't. If you can ride/drive it on the interstate with a driver's license, then it DOES NOT APPLY. Drive and ride as usual if you wish.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
so there may not be a fee for the decal (or printed sheet of paper) BUT there is a fee for the online safety course

Do I need a Utah Non-Resident OHV Permit?
If a street-legal OHV is registered and has a license plate from your home state, and it meets all of Utah’s street-legal requirements, then you do not need to purchase a Utah Non-Resident OHV Permit.
This is not the course in question. The NEW course is not available until the new year. Do not purchase this course now thinking it will apply!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
This course is brand new and will be free.

The $35 course is the required YOUTH course that already exists. It costs $35 because it is more involved, is run by a third party, and has a required exam for the kiddos to ride on their own.

The new course seems like it is a quick and easy "don't be a dick on the trails" course that will literally show how to open and close gates.

I agree with the sentiment about all of the stickers. On one hand they want our tourism dollars, on the other their upfront fees may keep them out of consideration.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I never pay any attention to that stuff and where I ride it is not likely I will be charged.....I ride responsibly and treat any law Enforcment Officer I encounter with respect ....... I never ride off road or off trail, in fact I mostly ride closed roads that are expressly open to motorcycles.....

The trail bike industry is a multi billion dollar industry with millions of users and a powerful lobby......I do not expect to see any wholesale closures of federal land in the intermountain west largely because of the Senators from those States...

·
Registered
84 Posts
This course is brand new and will be free.

The $35 course is the required YOUTH course that already exists. It costs $35 because it is more involved, is run by a third party, and has a required exam for the kiddos to ride on their own.

The new course seems like it is a quick and easy "don't be a dick on the trails" course that will literally show how to open and close gates.

I agree with the sentiment about all of the stickers. On one hand they want our tourism dollars, on the other their upfront fees may keep them out of consideration.
I agree with Larry’s interpretation & which sounds consistent with Utah‘s current year ohv reqts. For TWs they told me that if it is street legal in AZ then it is legal in UT, including approved Moab trails - it is treated like a motorcycle or auto. If you have a quad, side by, etc (ie an OHV) then the new OHV rule would seem to apply. That’s my interpretation too.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
The reason I posted this as I have seen it on many off road discussion and the consensus is that we would need it, so I have emailed the Utah OHV education department to get their take.

·
Registered
22 BMW G310GS, 2018 Van Van,
947 Posts
It’s a sign of times. Off roading is experiencing another surge. Way bigger than in the 1970s, remember when everyone and cousin had a jacked F250 high boy Or Jeep? That surge removed many super spots to off-road. Thankfully it waned with the fuel mess of the late 70s. The masses are coming without any sense of pre trail training or licensing only a fat wallet. And very very capable off road units. Any idiot can operate including children.
The “anarchy“ approach to management does not work, we’ve all seen how that functions.
Nobody likes to be regulated and many dislike law enforcement until they are really needed then suddenly it’s ”thank god you were here to stop that drunk”. Regs and LEO have their place in a peaceful cooperative scenario sadly.
One can hope expanding fuel costs and economy collapse will slow the surge or just ante up.
Mostly, get out and ride that thing.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Everybody hates out of staters til you remind them they were all out of staters at some point I hear only 3% of Arizona folks are original Zonians
Agreed, plus it helps to remind those who forget that Tourists generally spend $$ in lodging, food, entertainment, towing, parts, repairs (long story), etc.

Personally I've encountered very little discrimination when I travel in Utah or Arizona, at least not directly. Two years ago a local Mechanic in a small town where my friends and I were staying did refer to my Silverado as "That California King Chevrolet" though the title does fit; it's a two-wheel drive, lifted crew cab on 33" tires. It blends in here in So.Cal. though it's obvious that it's only task is to haul toys. I laughed when I heard it (he didn't think I did at first). If the shoe fits, wear it!

Reactions: Snapper33

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've had one encounter with LEO and my TW in Utah. About ten years ago I had a TW which I had put a Baja Designs Tailight on. It was just a little sliver of an LED light which tucked-in just under the rear fender and mounted the plate at about a 45 Degree angle. Not DOT legal but I was younger and thought it looked cool.

Riding-in to Moab one night from a campground about 10 Miles North of town (Archview RV park) I had a Highway Patrol in my mirror for the last half of my ride. At the first light just past the bridge over the Colorado River we both stopped and he pulled-up next to me and asked:

"Is that tailight legal in California?"

Thinking fast I replied, "Yes sir, we all have them!"

He took a long look at me and the bike, then as the light changed said, "Well their not legal here in Utah." and drove-off.

I was thankful but it taught me a valuable lesson.

The TW I have no has the stock tailight and the license plate is mounted in the stock location and orientation. Sometimes it doesn't pay to stand-out.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts