TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
It doesn't. If you can ride/drive it on the interstate with a driver's license, then it DOES NOT APPLY. Drive and ride as usual if you wish.
This will likely be the hardest part. Most of the times I've been to Moab I've traveled with a group of friends, all of us have Manx-style street legal Dune Buggies. Every year until I started going someplace else we'd have to argue about the legal-status of our vehicles in order to enter any of the National Parks. One guy in the group liked to argue and carried a file folder with DMV Documents detailing definitions and the like. Telling the Rangers that we drove there on I-70 generally eliminated the argument since SXS's aren't highway legal. Oddly enough the guys in Baja Bugs never had any issue or questions getting into the same National Parks.

• Sad
Reactions: Snapper33

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
I've had one encounter with LEO and my TW in Utah. About ten years ago I had a TW which I had put a Baja Designs Tailight on. It was just a little sliver of an LED light which tucked-in just under the rear fender and mounted the plate at about a 45 Degree angle. Not DOT legal but I was younger and thought it looked cool.

Riding-in to Moab one night from a campground about 10 Miles North of town (Archview RV park) I had a Highway Patrol in my mirror for the last half of my ride. At the first light just past the bridge over the Colorado River we both stopped and he pulled-up next to me and asked:

"Is that tailight legal in California?"

Thinking fast I replied, "Yes sir, we all have them!"

He took a long look at me and the bike, then as the light changed said, "Well their not legal here in Utah." and drove-off.

I was thankful but it taught me a valuable lesson.

The TW I have no has the stock tailight and the license plate is mounted in the stock location and orientation. Sometimes it doesn't pay to stand-out.
Found this:

HEADLIGHTS: (DMV Section 25650):

25650. Every motorcycle during darkness shall be equipped with at least one and not more than two lighted headlamps which shall conform to the requirements and limitations of this division.

I interpret this to mean that if you don't ride at night, you don't need a headlight.

however, there is this statute:

25650.5. Every motorcycle manufactured and first registered on and after January 1, 1978, shall be equipped with at least one and not more than two headlamps which automatically turn on when the engine of the motorcycle is started and which remain lighted as long as the engine is running. This section does not preclude equipping motorcycles used as authorized emergency vehicles with a switch to be used to turn off the headlamp during emergency situations or when the light would interfere with law enforcement, if the switch is removed prior to resale of the motorcycle.

TAIL LAMPS:

24253. (a) All motor vehicles manufactured and first registered after January 1, 1970, shall be equipped so all taillamps are capable of remaining lighted for a period of at least one-quarter hour with the engine inoperative. This requirement shall be complied with by an energy storing system which is recharged by energy produced by the vehicle.

(
:crazy:
All motorcycles manufactured and first registered after January 1, 1971, shall be equipped so all taillamps, when turned on, will remain lighted automatically for a period of at least one-quarter hour if the engine stops.

This means the TAIL LAMP, and NOT the HEADLIGHT ! there is absolutely NO provision for requiring the headlight to be on or remain lit after the engine is shut off... so to be LEGAL, all you really need to do is have a battery hooked up to a switch which will allow you to power your tail light for 15 minutes with the engine off.... and if you are hip enough to have LED tail lights you can probably do this with (2) 9v batteries in parallel (18v) to keep the light lit for an hour or more if you need to or you get pulled over..

TURN SIGNALS:

Now, as far as TURN SIGNALS are concerned, there is NOTHING in the California Vehicle Code which REQUIRES us to have turn signals mounted on our bikes, they can however be installed and used if desired, but I found nothing in the vehicle code which "requires" them to be installed or used.

HORNS:

27000. (a) A motor vehicle, when operated upon a highway, shall be equipped with a horn in good working order and capable of emitting sound audible under normal conditions from a distance of not less than 200 feet, but no horn shall emit an unreasonably loud or harsh sound. An authorized emergency vehicle may be equipped with, and use in conjunction with the siren on that vehicle, an air horn that emits sounds that do not comply with the requirements of this section.

27001. (a) The driver of a motor vehicle when reasonably necessary to insure safe operation shall give audible warning with his horn.

(
:D
The horn shall not otherwise be used, except as a theft alarm system which operates as specified in Article 13 (commencing with Section 28085) of this chapter.

Amended Ch. 993, Stats. 1977. Effective January 1, 1978.

There are a couple of other sections regarding horns but those pertain to garbage trucks so I omitted them here.

MIRRORS:

26709. (a) Every motor vehicle registered in a foreign jurisdiction and every motorcycle subject to registration in this state shall be equipped with a mirror so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of such vehicle.

Every motor vehicle subject to registration in this state, except a motorcycle, shall be equipped with not less than two such mirrors, including one affixed to the left-hand side.

This means ONE mirror, and it can be mounted however you want it to as long as you can demonstrate that you can see 200 feet behind you when it is adjusted properly.

All of the information I quoted here can be found on the following DMV web page, specifically look at "Division 12"

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/vctoc.htm

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Reactions: Ken

·
Registered
482 Posts
So what I was told tonight is Everyone operating any vehicle off road in Utah will need to Pass a no cost online OHV class. The cost is $35 if between the ages of 8-18. I was told today by a local law enforcement officer who disagrees with the new law that it applies to any vehicle. It doesn't matter if you are riding a YZ250 on 7 Mile Rim or driving your F 350 King Ranch you need to pass this class, print out the card and have the card in your possession period- his exact words.

·
Premium Member
1991 TW200, 2017 TW200, 2022 Indian Super Chief, 1979 Goldwing w/ Moline sidecar, 1975 BMW R90
261 Posts

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Well, they can't site me if they can't catch me. I attach my plate with velcro just for those instances where I need to remain anonymous if I can't ditch them. I would also consider telling 'em I left my ID in my other purse and don't have it on me and consider giving them a fake name. Then when they go back to their car to radio in the name I gave them, I ride away. My bike is wired with a switch that bypasses the key. It's not hard, a one wire jumper in just the right place will do the trick. Can't say more than that, mods frown on the topic and will edit it anyways.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So what I was told tonight is Everyone operating any vehicle off road in Utah will need to Pass a no cost online OHV class. The cost is $35 if between the ages of 8-18. I was told today by a local law enforcement officer who disagrees with the new law that it applies to any vehicle. It doesn't matter if you are riding a YZ250 on 7 Mile Rim or driving your F 350 King Ranch you need to pass this class, print out the card and have the card in your possession period- his exact words.
I thought that the State Parks were no longer managing OHV
View attachment 232062
Exactly my point, not stated but assumed understood. In my first reply I screengrabbed and highlighted where it explicitly states I don't need it for my plated non-resident motorcycle (I will re-attach in this reply). However, the other entity's site that previously managed it explicitly states all motorcycles are included. My point is these codes are written like the tax codes; you'll have to decipher that statement on your own.

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
Well, they can't site me if they can't catch me. I attach my plate with velcro just for those instances where I need to remain anonymous if I can't ditch them. I would also consider telling 'em I left my ID in my other purse and don't have it on me and consider giving them a fake name. Then when they go back to their car to radio in the name I gave them, I ride away. My bike is wired with a switch that bypasses the key. It's not hard, a one wire jumper in just the right place will do the trick. Can't say more than that, mods frown on the topic and will edit it anyways.
Well, that's certainly one option...For me I think I'll just take the course, carry the card with my Reg docs on my TW (or whatever I'm off-roading with at the time), ride responsibly and not worry about it.

Even in my own group of mostly retired, life-long responsible riders only two of us bought the out-of-state permits we needed for our Quads. Everyone else had the opinion that if we never needed them before, why should we have to have them now. I understand that mentatility but also like to avoid hassles. This will be no different for me.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts