TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I know this is a lame question, so don't beat me up to bad!

I changed my oil yesterday, following the procedure layed out here on the forum. Oil level is right at the top line in the viewing window! Started engine and loosened the little bolt to make sure oil is pumping up to the top of the head, no problem, everything is good!

Now, with the engine running, I noticed that the oil level window basically showed no oil, as the one quart I put in was being pumped throught the engine. I don't have a manual, so I'm going to ask here.

Is oil level checked with engine off, or running?

·
Registered
2,667 Posts

I changed my oil yesterday, following the procedure layed out here on the form. Oil level is right at the top line in the viewing window! Started engine and loosened the little bolt to make sure oil is pumping up to the top of the head, no problem, everything is good!

Now, with the engine running, I noticed that the oil level window basically showed no oil, as the one quart I put in was being pumped throught the engine. I don't have a manual, so I'm going to ask here.

this is perfectly normal as the oil is being used elsewhere in the engine while running...oil level is checked with the engine off

·
Registered
310 Posts
Don't feel bad.. I had someone tell me in disbelief that my bike was 1000cc. I said, "What? No.. what are you talking about?" and they pointed at the 1000cc embossed numbering by the oil fill cap

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I like using Marvel Mystery Oil in my engines.

At 1000cc, that is one quart bottle of oil, then top off with about 1.8 oz of MMO.

Just right!

·
Registered
2,516 Posts

I changed my oil yesterday, following the procedure layed out here on the forum. Oil level is right at the top line in the viewing window! Started engine and loosened the little bolt to make sure oil is pumping up to the top of the head, no problem, everything is good!

Perfectly good question!.To answer the question,the engine is off.I know how you felt,looking in the sight glass and seeing NO OIL as the bike is running!.No issues your fine!.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Now, more specifically, do you need to lean the bike straight up off the kick stand or do you leave it on the kick stand to check the level? How exactly do you check to verify it's not too low?

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Bike should be as straight up as possible and not leaning to either side. I need to put wooden blocks under my kickstand to do this. Looking in the sight glass, the oil level should be between the upper and lower marks on the side cover. If the oil level is below the lower mark, or not visible at all, the oil level is too low.

Brian

1 - 13 of 13 Posts