TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone im new here i just scooped up an 02 its the first bike ive touched in 15 years the guy i picked it up from seemed to be an enthusiast (11 bikes in his garage) and he showed me pics and video of him taking through trails and such. the bike seems well taken care of but im planning a trip for 15-18 to hit some trials (not knarly) with it and was going to do an oil change the question is should i replace the orings? The bike seems fine as of now i just rolled over 4100mi and i dont want to start something little and have it turn into a big issue before the trip. If i have to is there some place i can
get the oring kit quick? Thanks in advance!
Tire Wheel Vehicle Window Automotive tire

· Registered
2021 TW
831 Posts
The o-rings dont have to be replaced at every oil change. Order the O-rings. If they show up on time before you leave and you have time change them and feel they should be then good.
If the bike has been well maintained, you could just dump the oil and clean or replace the filter and change O-rings when you get back as an option.
The original filters on these were a fine screen that's cleanable and reusable. It doesnt hurt to have a spare.
Todays the third, if you order the parts from www.rockymountainatv.com you should have them before your trip.

· Registered
84 Posts
Get the o ring kit- always good to have on hand regardless- the original filter is a very fine mesh and is reusable -just clean and reinstall- I clean mine with brake cleaner spray being careful not to soak the rubber cup- if it has had the non
original filter replaced - be sure to install new filter with the filter drain hole down in the 6 o’clock position
Do a search on this subject to familiarize your self -lots of subject matter to sort thru - if you have a Torque wrench use it to install oil drain plug back 27# or so! -Yamahalube is cheap and change it often! Good luck

· Registered
2,465 Posts
Ya that O ring may be over 20 years old ...
I would change it if possible .
Sometimes you can find one at Napa ....
Good luck. ...... Enjoy your trip ... And welcome to the family ....
mike from NC

· Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the TW!! Even got a big 'ol Blue goat sticker on it! (y)

And, if you purchase a replacement oil filter....be sure it has the 4 small holes, so the head is fed oil. See pic below:

View attachment 230311
Sweet Thanks! The guy gave me extra filters and they all check out

· Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Original owner of my 2020 with 3,000 miles changed oil on schedule. Ever since I bought it there had been a one-drop-a-day drip. Finally traced it to the oil drain plug. Changed oil & filter and REPLACED the O ring. No more drip.

OFG
Mine doesnt leak at all which is great im a "if it aint broke dont fix it" kind of guy especially before going on a trip i dont want to open a can of worms. The bike rins great though shifts good too

· Registered
23,607 Posts
I think service life of the O-rings is inversely proportional to the torque applied to the fasteners and the number of oil changes thy have seen.
If TDubPete were to try loosening a fastener or two the force required is a clue to past history and health of O-ring. If O-ring still good and round not much torque is required. If O-ring flattened from overtightening or too many oil changes the existing seal is more likely strongly torqued metal on metal rather than a lightly compressed round O-ring.

· Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The o-rings dont have to be replaced at every oil change. Order the O-rings. If they show up on time before you leave and you have time change them and feel they should be then good.
If the bike has been well maintained, you could just dump the oil and clean or replace the filter and change O-rings when you get back as an option.
The original filters on these were a fine screen that's cleanable and reusable. It doesnt hurt to have a spare.
Todays the third, if you order the parts from www.rockymountainatv.com you should have them before your trip.
Thanks for this ill definitely look into it! I also stopped at the parts store they had an assortment of orings 800pcs for a decent price i was thinking of picking this up and matching the old with new rings to replace on the bike. Has anyone else done this?

· Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think service life of the O-rings is inversely proportional to the torque applied to the fasteners and the number of oil changes thy have seen.
If TDubPete were to try loosening a fastener or two the force required is a clue to past history and health of O-ring. If O-ring still good and round not much torque is required. If O-ring flattened from overtightening or too many oil changes the existing seal is more likely strongly torqued metal on metal rather than a lightly compressed round O-ring.
Hmm thanks for this definitely something to keep in mind when doing this speaking of torque besides the drain plug thats the only torque spec when doing oil change correct?

· Premium Member
286 Posts

· Premium Member
147 Posts
Meh. I bought a set of OEM spares and gladly paid for the pleasure because I won't have to go digging around for "close enoughs". I still haven't needed them. I have a spare "special" bolt for the filter cover too.

Just pick up a set to have if you're worried. They'll be your grandkids' problem to replace anyway by the time they wear out 🤣

1 - 20 of 21 Posts