TW200 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Picked up the adapters today!

These ones are made of better quality aluminium and have a neater surface finish.

kit1.jpg

kit3.jpg

Also pictured is the radiator for those who have opted for a kit.

I will be sending PMs to those of you with whom we have agreed to get your mailing address and email for the paypal invoice. Once I ship the packages I will send you a photo of the waybill.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Picked up the adapters today!

These ones are made of better quality aluminium and have a neater surface finish.

View attachment 178482

View attachment 178490

Also pictured is the radiator for those who have opted for a kit.

I will be sending PMs to those of you with whom we have agreed to get your mailing address and email for the paypal invoice. Once I ship the packages I will send you a photo of the waybill.
Nice, I used that same Rad with my lizardbirth cooler cover. I used large U-clamps from hardware store to mount to frame tube.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Can I get just a radiator?
Just go to ebay and search for pit pike oil cooler. Here is one like I used:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Silver-CNC-Oil-Cooler-Radiator-50CC-160CC-Pit-Pro-Trail-Dirt-Bikes-ATV-Quad-SSR/282699263730?hash=item41d2306ef2:g:U5QAAOSwHoFXvbDc

I got mine a few years ago and this was the only style available. I see that there are a number of different options available now that are a little more high tech looking. If you get one like mine, don't get one of the fancy colored anodized ones. I ended up doing quite a bit of cutting and grinding on mine, so the the plain silver ones would turn out looking the best.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Definintely, some friends have the colored ones and the get scratched way too fast and end up looking cheap after a while, event if you don't cut anything off of them.

I mounted the rad on my bike yesterday:

full kit install 2.jpg

full kit install 3.jpg

Criss-cross hose routing seemed like the best solution to keep the fitting noses out of harm's way. I ended up pointing them both towards the inside of the rad, turned out to be quite compact. Mounted the rad on a single clamp and it sits so tight that there is no play whatsoever, but there is plenty of room for an additional clamp or two, will probably add some just in case.

First riding impressions are that the oil takes some more time to get to operating temp (I know when it's hot because my steel clutch plates are slightly burned and twisted, so depending on the severity of the shaking I can tell my oil temp HAHAHA) and there is slightly more heat coming around my right leg now. Have not tested in slow riding conditions yet, will update.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I kind of liked the Mr. Gizmo idea of the oil cooler (copper tube) out of the sprocket side oil channel. Was there ever a writeup on this procedure?

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
I kind of liked the Mr. Gizmo idea of the oil cooler (copper tube) out of the sprocket side oil channel. Was there ever a writeup on this procedure?
Hi Ken. I still have the copper tube equipped MrGizmo but am running stock sprocket cover rather than the modified sprocket cover featuring the custom oil pick-up at the outboard bearing and related return line, thus no secondary oil cooler today. Sorry, thus no good opinions on it's effectiveness, just appreciation for it's ingenuity.
Primary cooler is prototype LZDBRTH cover feeding copper coil heat exchanger by CA charcoal canister. Oil temp is Voyager monitored and I run an electric ducted fan when temps rise to above 200F indicated. Works well in a 80 mile 105 degree summer heat pavement ride.

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
Creative inventor-type member Gerry built the fan assist using a large brushless CPU cooling fan mounted in some custom aluminum shrouding encircling right half of cylinder.

Forum will not accept any new photo postings as of this time. Perhaps research old Mr.Gizmo postings from years past for photos or description of the fan installation.

Maybe things will improve in another week, or a month, hopefully not another year like the horribly annoying ongoing "Invalid Atrtachment" issue.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I found different mounts for the radiator, which I will include in the kits from now on. They provide a better, finished look to the whole system

Since they are slightly more expensive, I will have to raise the price for the kit by 5 dollars, for a 95 USD total. There will still be the option of the basic clamps.

new mounts1.jpg

new mounts2.jpg

new mounts3.jpg

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
For you guys doing a custom install, remember that banjos come with several different "bends" & "twists"...2 examples on this brakeline:

Others:

If you are concerned about actual contact beteen the rubber oil line and the hot steel header, you can avoid that by using a slip-over coiled spring of the proper size, problem solved. Even if you have an "air gap" between header & oil line, I'd still use the spring, as insurance. Like this:

Most of these banjos used as examples use threaded hi-pressure connectors to the hose. Of course, you will be dealing with a lo-pressure hose and screw-type clamps, like this:

A nice alternative to the crude looking screw type clamps with finger-cutting ends is these nice fuel injection fuel-line clamps available from auto parts stores or on-line:

In locating the various types of banjos, Google is your friend...as well as the vendors.
Always keep your installs & mods "clean" and professional looking!

And a word of advice from an old worry-wart:
If riding mostly in cold or cool weather, by-pass the oil-cooler or block off the cooler body with cardboard or something.
And always give the motor a little extra time to warm up well before playing happy tunes with the throttle!
Cold, thick, slow-flowing oil does not provide adequate friction protection and can do a lot of damage.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I found different mounts for the radiator, which I will include in the kits from now on. They provide a better, finished look to the whole system

Since they are slightly more expensive, I will have to raise the price for the kit by 5 dollars, for a 95 USD total. There will still be the option of the basic clamps.

View attachment 182060

View attachment 182062

View attachment 182064
is there no way to mount the cooler up higher? i don't like to see it blocking one side of the cylinder head, giving it uneven air.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
It can be raised half an inch or so on these clamps. To raise further, you would need to remove the top clamp and just use the bottom one.

But I will be honest, the gas tank does not allow to mount it completely out of the way, it will still be blocking a part of the cylinder. It would have to be moved to a completely different location in that case. I was contemplating mounting it lower in the bend of the exhaust pipe, but that would require custom brackets/clamps and becomes prone to damage when off roading

41 - 60 of 71 Posts