TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read through the the threads on the oil cooler available here for the TW. It looks good and I am real close to making a move but I have yet to see any real factual info or data about how well it actually works. How much cooling does it provide and how much difference does that make in engine performance or longevity? Does the TW actually benefit from the installation of an oil cooler and are there any facts to back that up?

·
Super Moderator
4,882 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
I just put mine on about a month ago. After riding a while and then stopping at a light, I put my hand on it. Very hot. It has got to help. I know there was a lot of thought and engineering put in to it. You can tell just by studying it like I did before I installed it.

If it does absolutely nothing, it makes me feel better. And it looks awesome!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I need to get mine installed, I have been riding in temps close to 110F with some grueling hill climbs. Wonder what my oil temps are??

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
My biggest concern with the oil cooler is it likely won't help much at low speed high RPMs without moving air to cool the aluminum fins. But this does make me consider a fan to go with it. I should read more on Gerry's mods on what is now Fred's Gizmo.

·
Registered
292 Posts
My biggest concern with the oil cooler is it likely won't help much at low speed high RPMs without moving air to cool the aluminum fins. But this does make me consider a fan to go with it. I should read more on Gerry's mods on what is now Fred's Gizmo.
A fan will definitely help. Just getting the oil out of the engine into something NOT generating heat is the biggest thing.

·
Registered
329 Posts
With today's quality SYNTHETIC OILS, I am not so sure a cooler is needed. These are not RACE BIKES . They are also not thrashed hard off road, not the design of bike. My opinion is that considering these burro's are used off road some, the oil cooler/ cooler lines are looking for a ROCK or TREE to damage them and cause an oil loss. Again.....MY OPINION....just go with appropriate grade of synthetic oil and keep oil clean and fresh.

·
Registered
9 Posts
here is my editing but it does not work
after 1 hour ride I dismount the hoses and no oils inside ... I forgot something?
20190714_184719.jpg

·
Registered
37 Posts
It appears to be mounted correctly. What do you mean by "no oil inside? You may get that impression if you dismount the supply hose (top) and look inside... You may not see any oil at the supply end, as some of it may have already drained into the sump. What exactly did you do to check? Did the radiator get hot after riding?

There are ways to check if there is circulation:
1. Dismount the return hose at the adapter (bottom one) and crank the engine with the starter for a while. If there there is oil circulation, it should come out.
2. Dismount both hoses at the adapter and blow into the top hose. If there was circulation, some oil will stay in the rad and will come out from the bottom hose with the air.

Let me know what the situation is in more detail. It's my product, so I will offer all the support I can.

·
Registered
37 Posts
On the topic of the effectiveness of the oil coolers my personal observation is that is does lower the oil temp in the sump, based on my experience with my warped clutch. It is not warped sufficiently for me to consider replacing it, but I can feel various degrees of vibration in the clutch lever as i release it when the engine gets warmer or cooler. That is to say, as the oil temp rises, the plates twist slightly more and the shaking gets more violent. Of course, one may argue that clutch temp is not the oil temp, but I noticed that when I have the cooler on, the clutch can take more abuse before getting too warped and once I ease off, it gets back to tolerable a lot faster. So, no objective data, but to me it has a noticeable effect.

Since I sell these cooler adapters I am not an uninterested source of information, but when we here at our local club decided to design and manufacure these for ourselves, we too were not certain as to whether it would lead to any change. Our main pro-argument was that the Van-Van comes with a cooler from the factory:D

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
i was very happy with my oil cooler, it was all was hot, so it had to be working and doing some good. i used the same cooler on 2 different bike, tw200 and xt225. one point worth mentioning is i would cover mine when the outside temps dropped as i think as much good as it does in the heat, it can do some damage to the oil in the cold 9.JPG 63.JPG

·
Registered
8,356 Posts
I bought two of the original Lizrdbrth cooler systems back some years ago. They are/were very well designed and worked perfectly. You might find the cooler to be a rather valuable upgrade if you live far south or west where the temps you ride in are 90 and above on a regular basis. Here in the NE there honestly is no real need for additional cooling except for a very few days when it does get unseasonably hot. IMO for those of us here in the northern parts of the country you would get just as much benefit by going to the lighter synthetic oils that withstand the heat much better than the dino blends. Even Lizrdbrth recommended to me to cover the radiator if riding in much cooler temps because the TW engine does have a preferred operating temperature and the cooler just might keep it too cool at times. There used to be some discussions on the old site where guys had the hand held temp gauges and showed comparison temps both with and without the coolers and they did prove the coolers worked but it was not that much difference in the grand scheme of things except out in the hot deserts. Don't quote me on the temp numbers but 265 is what I think the engine was without the cooler and 250 with it and this was in a very hot climate. Purple or LT might be able to resurrect some of those old threads and I am pretty sure Goldenhtr, Gerry and a few of the western members were in those discussions.

GaryL

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I wish someone would make a heatsink type oil cooler that would be built right into the end of the filter cap or simply connected right to the top of the filter cap. That would eliminate the use of hoses and keep it far from the exhaust pipes. Also when doing oil changes it would be totally removable.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts