TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Oil coolers still available?

Tags
oil cooler
3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Apolloha 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I am very new to TWs but I used to own a 71 Yamaha RT1mx, I just picked up a new 2019 and put 200 miles on it since last week. Currently, I am doing alot of in town riding but I am going back to college this fall and I will have access to hundreds of miles of logging trails. My biggest question is since i have been doing many hour plus rides and plan on doing some longer day excursions on the trails this fall, if an oil cooler could help in the long term for engine performance. I've been looking around for oil coolers and I having issues finding the oil cover adapter. I am an engineering student and I have full access to mills, lathes and I might be able to use the foundry depending on how the new covid regulations will be set up at school. If anything, I am thinking on making my own cover and adding a universal radiator kit to it. My major focus is in computer aided engineering so i'm confidant in the design process and production but hopefully ill have enough time for this side project. I'll try to keep you updated if I do make my own oil cooler adapter, but i'm not sure if it is even needed since most of my riding is in Wisconsin and the UP.

#2 ·
it is your lucky day !

One of our legendary forum members and treasured asset was Russ aka Lizrdbrth who designed and tested an bulletproof TW200 oil cooler and crankcase adapter bot mfg and sold buy forum member Mekdad (you can find his listings here in the sticky portion if classifieds)

You could build another unit in fact a gent from Russia did but it's like remaking Stairway to Heaven it's already been done right and totally killed so you would be working fir 2nd place at best lol

Similar to the Ricochet skid plates they are so well done I guess you could build another skid plate but they already make them rugged. reliable and fairly cheap so I'd like to see your engineering ambitions go to building the ultimate TW200 rear cargo system aka "rack" now theres still a wide open hole for a revolutionary design to take over the market

Good luck on your build !!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.