TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
oil drain screen.JPG

Has anyone every seen this when you changed your oil? It's looks like strings and I found a tiny piece of tan plastic, I think.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Pieces of the timing chain guides possibly?

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
What timing guides?? ha ha :p

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Clean it up, slap it back together, bring your next oil change forward a fair bit and see if there is more accumulation. That's what I'd do.
Thanks for the optimism. Yeah, I don't want to take that thing apart in the middle of summer. Wonder if I could see anything thru the cam chain tensioner.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Yeah, I guess you could try it for 20 miles or something, yank it again and look. It's been running so far...? :confused: Unless you are hearing newer unknown noises? But either way, it's going to have to come apart, be inspected and fixed.

Reactions: elime

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yes on both of my new 2015s I saw similar debris on the first oil change - though only about 1/10th that much.

It was soft, I thought it was probably sealant residue from the case joints.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
What did your oil filter have on it?

When I got my parts bike I changed the oil and found a little RTV on that screen and a ton of RTV on the filter. I cleaned it all off and it has run like a Swiss watch ever since.

If that were my bike I would clean it up and change the oil and ride about 25 to 50 miles. Then I would lean the bike to the right and inspect that screen. If it is clean slap it back together and don't worry about it. You can also lean the bike to the left and inspect the oil filter.

Report back what you do and what happened after you have it all resolved.

·
Registered
20,491 Posts
Unbolt the cam cover on the left side of the head and you should be able to feel the top of the timing chain guides on either side of the chain right below the cam sprocket if I recall correctly. Forward one should be fairly fixed while rear flops around a bit. You should be able quickly inspect with finger on inside between chain and guide whether there seems to be stringy whiskers , aggressive wear patterns, of if guide plastic resembles foreign debris on screen in o.p. Anything obviously wrong justifies the head removal, this is just to peek to evaluate guide plastic.
The o-ring gasket on the cover is usually reusable may times so this is a relatively painless,quick, easy inspection.

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the advice. The filter had a tiny bit of the same mouse-hair-like substance. I'll inspect the best I can without pulling the head, ride it awhile and look at the screen again. I've got a trip planned, so I'd like to run her and see if she holds together. Maybe it's time for a rebuild this winter (28 years old and 20,000 miles). I'll try to report back. Thanks for the support! photo9.JPG

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
oil screen.JPG

I checked the screen after a couple tanks of gas. It's clean as a whistle. I changed clutch plates awhile back, may it was that.

I'm off for a week of trail riding in the Wisconsin northwoods and Upper Pennisula Michigan. We have a great trail system, well marked with places to get food and gas without worrying too much. Leaving tomorrow!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts