TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a slight oil leak coming from the bottom of the oil filter cover, so I tried to see how tight the hex screw on the bottom of the cover was. It turns out that it is freely rotating and won't tighten at all. Is there any way to solve this, or am I totally boned?

·
Registered
821 Posts
Not totally boned. Unless the other screws got stripped too...Check the other two!
I'd first check an see if you maybe got lucky. Sometimes there will be a little more thread left in the hole.
A longer screw will bite and will hold with blue lock tite. If you don't have experience /tools for remaking threads
might be better left to a pro. Check close that all screws are the right length and pitch or even metric! I've have found before
where someone had lost a screw mid oil change and forced a 1/4" bolt into a hole meant for 6mm. I wouldn't dally on getting that fixed
Check out "Death of the Mayflower" in Admiral's posts to see a hazard of an oil leak.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the heads up! I checked the other two and they're totally fine - the heads are a little chewed up, but they're tight against the cover (I didn't want to over torque those too!). That's a good call with the longer screw - I actually pulled the hex screw out and did see small shards of aluminum in the threads on the screw, so I know that the previous owner must have just way overtorqued it. I'm fairly new to the mechanical end of things, but do you know what I would be looking at cost-wise to get someone to remake the threads for that hole? If it would be way too expensive I would just grab a new crankcase cover and swap it out.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Are you sure it's stripped and not snapped. You may have a snowballs chance of this being the case. On my XR400 the bolts were sized to break before stripping the threads on the case. Ask me how I know.

Take the cover off, and if you're as lucky as me, you may be able to get the end out with just your fingers.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm pretty sure it's the case that it stripped it - I saw a fair number of aluminum shavings in the threads of the bolt itself and I'm not sure how those would get there if it was snapped. When you mention the cover, do you mean the crankcase cover, or just the oil filter cover?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Just the oil filter cover. Heck, you can tell by just pulling the bolt out.

If it is stripped drilling and tapping is easy on aluminum. Have you ever ran a tap in anything?

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
For what it's worth, here is what the other end of that screw looks like. If the bolt did break off, you may be able to get the broken part out from this side. If the threads are just stripped, there may be enough material on this boss to install a heli-coil insert to restore these threads.

100_5268.JPG

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
See, that's why I love this community - so helpful! I'm in the finger lakes region of New York. Sometimes I wish I was out in the Pacific Northwest though!
Dude I am in Dryden! I have a tap set and will travel to you.

Tom

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fantastic! Thank you for the photo - that is really helpful. I was wondering what that looked like from the inside. I'm trying to think - if I tried to put a helicoil in from this side, would the threading match up for the bolt coming in from the other direction? Pardon my ignorance there.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
See, that's why I love this community - so helpful! I'm in the finger lakes region of New York. Sometimes I wish I was out in the Pacific Northwest though!
....or Michigan. We have a west coast with very few fruits and nuts, an east coast with very little attitude, a south coast that is pretty much unmolested and a north coast that is pristine.

(....and our apples are better than either New York's or Washington's.) This is a supper secret squirrel secret, so don't tell anybody.

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
No way!! That's amazing. Also, once we fix this, we should go riding!
I will be riding to the MandT bank on the Commons tomorrow morning. It is a normal work day for me but after the week I have been having I am cheating by riding the bike to my first call;) I only need a set of keys for this call since I am just providing access to another vendor. I will be able to fix your problem this weekend if you are up to it.

Tom

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
....or Michigan. We have a west coast with very few fruits and nuts, an east coast with very little attitude, a south coast that is pretty much unmolested and a north coast that is pristine.

(....and our apples are better than either New York's or Washington's.) This is a supper secret squirrel secret, so don't tell anybody.
Really!? An east coast with "very little attitude"? Ann Arbor and Detroit! Checkmate;)

Tom

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will be riding to the MandT bank on the Commons tomorrow morning. It is a normal work day for me but after the week I have been having I am cheating by riding the bike to my first call;) I only need a set of keys for this call since I am just providing access to another vendor. I will be able to fix your problem this weekend if you are up to it.

Tom
That sounds fantastic! I am also definitely riding my other bike into work tomorrow - after the rain and odd cold we've been having I need a day of sunshine on two wheels! I'll be around all weekend - I sent you a PM so we can figure it out. Thanks again so much!

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
That sounds fantastic! I am also definitely riding my other bike into work tomorrow - after the rain and odd cold we've been having I need a day of sunshine on two wheels! I'll be around all weekend - I sent you a PM so we can figure it out. Thanks again so much!
No problem at all. I will try to get to a hardware store tomorrow and pick up the appropriate bolt. I would recommend ordering in a new right side gasket from boats.net or Procycle. Taking that cover off is just wise to avoid any shavings from entering the engine.

Tom

·
Registered
13,801 Posts
Also, why I think it's leaking in addition to being stripped. This hex bolt is a shoulder bolt and tightens to an o-ring inside. Without the shoulder bolt seating to the o-ring, it will leak. I'm mentioning this so you don't just put any old bolt in there. Whatever route you use to fix it from what's listed above, just make sure it seals.

Good luck.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Also, why I think it's leaking in addition to being stripped. This hex bolt is a shoulder bolt and tightens to an o-ring inside. Without the shoulder bolt seating to the o-ring, it will leak. I'm mentioning this so you don't just put any old bolt in there. Whatever route you use to fix it from what's listed above, just make sure it seals.

Good luck.
Absolutely - I'll order the new gasket and the o-rings to make sure everything is in top shape. Thank you for the advice!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts